Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. SO I installed the Tusk high fender last night and the install went without a hitch. The weird thing is that now my steering has an odd feel, similar to when you put new knobby tires on a bike and the steering feels weird until the tire profile wears down a bit. The only thing I can think of is that now there's about 3 pounds less weight attached to the forks. Could that little bit affect the steering feel? I have fairly new shinko 804/805s on the bike. I'm wondering if that 3lbs off the tire changed how the tire contacts the road and I just need to wear it in a bit. Or maybe removing the old fender changed some kind of balance or something. I'm really at a loss. I'm hoping it's the tire profile and will just go away with more riding.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I installed the high fender kit as well and didn't notice any difference in feel at all. Did you reinstall axle, tighten right side pinch bolts, tighten nut on axle, tighten left side pinch bolts, loosen right side pinch bolts and compress forks grabbing brakes a couple times, then tighten right side? Are your brake lines binding? Wheel speed sensor cable binding? I rode 500 miles or so up to > 100 mph and nothing different. I had even changed fork seals and fork oil while I was doing fender kit.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine didn't require touching the axle at all. Nothing binding either.

Curious why you had to remove the axel though.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
I removed the axle as I had the forks completely off replacing a leaking oil seal. I see it's entirely possible to do without removing front wheel. Only thing to check is that the hoses aren't binding. The 2 clamps behind the Tusk metal piece on lower fork tree should be perpendicular to the hose. Looks like your red brake hose has a slight kink in it. I still don't think that would effect steering unless it hits on something. The brake hose/speed sensor cable on top can snag easier but you should be able to tell by turning full lock side to side.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are correct about the p clamp being at the wrong angle, I noticed that after I had put all the tools away. There's nothing that binds or catches though. Routing the abs cable up there without it catching on anything required a couple tries though.

One thing pops to mind that I will check tonight.. I mounted some Titax fork adjusters at the same time as the fender and gave them a test twisting. I noticed that the inner cylinder, (rebound dampening?) rotated with the preload nut. I'm not sure if that is supposed to happen or if should remain stationary while the nut turns around it. Anyways, I thought I returned everything to stock position but maybe somehow i didn't and this is causing the weird feel. Kinda doubtful though as I only gave them one full 360 degree twist. The notches are all at stock position (I think) but maybe I'll spin everything to max and back down just to double check.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The good news is I figured out the problem. The bad news is that I'm a dumbass lol. Top of the fender is rubbing on the bottom of my crash bars. Couple washers under the front attachment screws should sort it out.

Thanks all

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Glad you found the fix and more so that you posted it. When it comes time to do this type of thing, guys like me will remember to check for non-typical problems other people have!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts