Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone who is reading this,
I joined a few weeks ago having moved on from my Honda NC 750X to the Africa Twin. I duly joined here and was a bit surprised to not to receive any acknowledgement of my presence other than an automated message from Admin.

And as I looked through new members introductions I noticed that there were very few messages of 'Welcome' to new members. Now why is that? Are Africa Twin owners, the world over, stuffy and unwelcoming? I don't think so. Additionally few people seem to identify where in the world they are located in the personal information. For me this is important to help understand peoples' varying perspectives.

So how has it become like this and I guess that it has originated from the time the forum began with little effort going into welcoming people and making the forum something that 'meets peoples' needs' rather than something that members use to get just what they want from it.

The Honda NC Forum is very welcoming. There is plenty of good insightful discussion, good humour and Uk meet-ups. It has even seen people turning out for members' funerals which is very touching.

I was surprised that so many of the NC owners who gad gone on to Africa Twins, stayed on the NC Forum, which has now partially evolved into a more general and well mannered motorcycle forum without any loud shouting.

Can we change this and make this Forum a place that people want to join and regularly contribute. It takes very little, just welcoming people, respecting where they come from and building a World Wide Community.
Derm

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey Derm this is really an awesome sentiment and honestly the primary reason that I joined this forum. I wanted to be a part of the worldwide community of AT riders and not only listen to other rider's perspective but also contribute my own.

That being said this is the first forum that I have ever joined (long time lurker of quite a few). So I know that for myself I am still fairly new to the concept of being part of an online community.

I think it is very easy to create an account and just end up lurking on the general discussion/tech section, which is probably why the new member section gets neglected.

I for one would really enjoy seeing this forum get to the level of the NC forum that you mentioned.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rusty, great to get your reply.

I also sail and for so many years Aussie and Kiwi sailors came to our shores and we sailed against them in various championships and many of them became close friends. And I must add that include a whole lot of Americans in the 505 fleet. In sailing we are a world wide community.

This should be no different with motor cycling and in particular The Africa Twin. I have been out to Australia and New Zealand and met up with fellow sailors and enjoyed their company and renewing past and new relationships. Biking should be no different.

I was in New York a couple of years ago and it would have been great to have had a network of contacts.
Let's change things.
Derm

·
Registered
46 Posts
firstly i fully understand your point and am not taking anything away from your opinion.

however, although i always introduce my self to a new forum , i rarely comment on others intro's.

2 main reasons.

1. i think that we all ( myself included ) see another new intro and reply almost robotic-ally with the standard impersonal , hi welcome... i would rather contribute meaningfully to a problem/ issue / help ect and integrate with the fellow member in that form ...

2. if every member replied to every new intro we would loose all the active topics ect ( i mean on the immediate list ) and we would have to scroll thru pages of intros to get to that topic we commented on a few weeks ago ... we already have many threads containing the same questions and answers because people either do not know how to use the search function properly or give up after scrolling thru a page or 2 and not seeing the required topic.

i do respect and feel for your concern, and i would like to add that some of the school yard degrading comments are less welcoming than a non reply to the initial intro

just my 2c

e

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for responding and you make good points. If this forum is world wide then perhaps it does not need more personal introductions. If it is UK or specific country based, let's change it so that those that want a more personal forum can choose.

I suppose that I am pushing the boundaries and testing the limits. Vision, purpose and values, to me are very important and I have been responsible for setting up many organisations on that path. Without it you don't know who you are and where you are going.

I don't want to be responsible for shaping this group and I am happy to be someone who promotes thinking about what we are about.
Derm

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have found this forum, almost without exception, to be very welcoming and friendly. Within weeks I was communicating with other members and have started electronic "pen pal" friendships with riders from all over the world—some I hope to ride with one day.

If one doesn't receive a lot of "welcome to the forum" replies, I don't think that reflects at all on the forum. Personally, I view New Member Intro posts as just that—someone introducing him or herself and making their presence known with the hope that I’ll hear more from them in the future. And frankly, I’d feel a bit weird, like I’m taking on the role of a welcoming party, if I replied to every single new member intro post.

It’s not because you're not welcome, but rather that most probably don’t feel it necessary to reply if they don’t have something to add beyond the simple welcome. I find the majority here to be, happily, on the mostly thoughtful and serious side; that’s not to say they aren’t friendly and happy to have you, but rather, they limit their posting to significant contributions. That’s a good thing in a busy forum.

A good measure of welcome and friendliness is if, as a new member, you receive replies to specific questions or issues you yourself post, and you’ve already started a thread with a question about jerky slow speed riding and received many replies… can't ask for better than that. (BTW—if you do a forum search, you’ll find that topic (or similar: “Low speed poor fueling)” has been discussed in the past; I’ve even added to the discussion myself).

As a place to share knowledge and enthusiasm for our specific bikes, this place has no match.

Stick around; I think you’ll find just about everybody here friendly and helpful. And you'll likely develop friendships with riders from all sorts of places. :smile2:

I do agree it’s nice to quickly determine where someone is from. We’ve got riders from all over the globe here.

All the best, Gary

1 - 7 of 7 Posts