Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
... I participate in one of the Yamaha TW200 forums and there's a couple of guys on there that run those little 200's Waaaaaaaaay up into the lost wild country and just pitch a tent. They've got videos of some of their rides and I'm so envious I could die.
Don't feel too hard about it Scott.

This is the extent of my tent pitching:

... and I feel no less than kicking up the heels after a fresh, soothing shower and frosty beer in hand thinking about tomorrow's ride after the breakfast.

·
Registered
199 Posts
[...]

Willy,
[...]

Now, that's talking about the lift/carrier. You also have to really, take a good look at your actual hitch on the coach. Yes, it may be rated for say, 5,000 or 10,000 lbs. And in some cases, the really high end coaches have a 15,000 lb. hitch. But, as you more than likely know, that's rated primarily for PULLING loads, not carrying. A very large percent of the time, most of those hitches are rated for around 500 lbs. tongue weight.

[...]
You're right Scott - tongue load is the key and these things are all about tongue load. Our Class III hitch is rated at 1k lbf tongue load. That makes the dual carrier a bit of a stretch.

Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
1,423 Posts
Lone Rider sells a "garage tent," so does Vuz. AT is rolling in a RedVerz Atacama Expedition if memory serves. They're pretty pricey.

The Redzerz is in line with the Lone Rider. €499 is about $560. Redverz Atacama $599. I am not sure about shipping costs. But Redverz is made here in Colorado, so at least in the USA, perhaps cheaper shipping.

I am really not sure on shipping. I just drove over and picked mine up :)

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,423 Posts
That redverz is expensive! But maybe it's worth it?

I'm liking the price of the vuz better.
I have no experience with the Vuz. The price of the Vuz is cheaper than the other two, but I am guessing the quality isn't equal to the Redverz or Lonerider. We have had our Redverz for years and it's held up well through high winds, hail, etc.

But price can be a big factor, especially depending on how often and where you plan to use it. The cheaper Vuz may be fine for what you need from a tent.

Alternatively, check ADV and other sites for a gently loved Redverz or Lonerider? It may be close price-wise. I had a buddy sell his Redverz last year, barely used for about $300. His wife just didn't get along with the camping/tent thing.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Let's see it with the Jeep in tow!

Looks good!
Here ya go gang!
Well, we finally got all things in order and have set off on our trip. First stop, Williams AZ. Man, the wind was blowing there. Anyway, here's pic of the beautiful A/T loaded and ready to head out, along with the Jip coupled up too. And, as you can see, this is how I keep tabs on all of it as we tootle down the road. She did GREAT today, even with the lousy parts of I-40 east bound. And there are zillions of lousy spots. Anyway, you asked, here 'tis!
Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Here ya go gang!
Well, we finally got all things in order and have set off on our trip. First stop, Williams AZ. Man, the wind was blowing there. Anyway, here's pic of the beautiful A/T loaded and ready to head out, along with the Jip coupled up too. And, as you can see, this is how I keep tabs on all of it as we tootle down the road. She did GREAT today, even with the lousy parts of I-40 east bound. And there are zillions of lousy spots. Anyway, you asked, here 'tis!
Scott
That is a good idea having that rear camera. Not just to prevent rolling over a person while backing up, but to gawk all day at the AT while the partner does drivin' duties. :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
You spending time in Williams or is that just as far as your fuel tank will let you go?
phydough,
We're heading east from Havasu, to about Gallup NM. Then, heading N to Bayfield CO. We're only spending last night and tonight here in Williams. We just got back from a run almost to the Grand Canyon but, hung a right on a road that went to Flag, forgot which one It was. But, had about a 25 minute wait while they worked on the road. Nice drive. I'd have loved to have the A/T on that road, minus the wait.
Scott

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hey Scott,

Can you walk it up the ramp using engine power with the DCT in first?

You going to be in Showlow for awhile? Might swing up there and bother you!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
US 180 is a nice ride, not patrolled all that much either.

Have a safe trip, keep us posted.
Yep, a pretty nice road in moderately good condition. When we arrived in Flag, we ate lunch at a Culvers and headed back to camp in Williams. I worked on my tow setup for the Jeep 'cause I had a safety cable issue and got that all straightened up. Then, I took off on the bike while the CEO was resting. I hit 4th street and on over to Dogtown reservoir. Took a pic and headed back out to the pavement. I hung a left at the pavement and that put me in the direction of 89 and Jerome/Prescott. I got to within about 3-4 miles of the junction of the road I was on and 89 and turned around and headed back. All in all, I think the whole little trip was around 75 miles or so. I was having a ball. The weather was/is outstanding and the scenery was right up there too.
Man, ya gotta love CRUISE CONTROL!!!!!!!! And that GPS is still cracking me up. It gives me warnings when a slower speed limit is in a short distance away. I received a half dozen texts on it while doing 60 mph. I can't answer them but, I can receive them. And, I can actually listen to a text if I push the little arrow for PLAY.

Hey Scott,

Can you walk it up the ramp using engine power with the DCT in first?

You going to be in Showlow for awhile? Might swing up there and bother you!
Hey Sir,
That is EXACTLY how I load the bike. I'm not Arnold Schwarzenegger so, pushing that 540 lb. girl up that ramp, AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN. A little throttle and, it walks itself right up. Getting it back down ain't too bad. I do it REALLLLLLLY SLLLLLLOOOLLLYYYY with lots of front brake control. The Wife is there as a backup controller. That fatter rear tire is squeezed in between the two rails of the track of the ramp.

As far as Show low, we're not heading there. We were at one time but, that part of the trip's been re-arranged. Our next stop from here is Gallup NM. And we'll only be there for one night. It's primarily a stop so I don't have to drive Amtrak any farther than needed in any given day. Yeah, it would have been nice to hook up and do a bit of ridin' together. It'll happen.
Scott

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hey Sheath,
Most 5ver frames are not to robust for adding that kind of weight at the rear. I've seen people actually mount a Hydralift and carry a Harley or a Wing on them but, I'm pretty dead sure they had the trailers special ordered and, if there was an option for X-TRA heavy duty frame, then maybe. Just be sure all the "what ifs" are taken into consideration. Hopefully it will work for ya. I've been having a ball on mine while on this trip so far.
Scott

·
Registered
7 Posts
Exactly, it is a special order (or at least it was for me), and not easy to get without a long wait.
It's not just the frame, but axles, springs, etc..

21 - 40 of 41 Posts