Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well gang,
I guess it's in my DNA, I can't have anything nice for any length of time. I was just cruising the streets in town today with my brand new, one week old, 2018 AT/AS DCT and, I made a U-turn going up hill. But, upon completion of the turn, the front tire hit the edge of some dirt and, I was already heading back down hill when the front tire just slipped out, the bike reacted to my reaction and just fell over. CRAP! There I am, laying in the middle of the street, it's broad day light, the mail man for the area was about 25' away and watched the whole thing.

I stood up, only to see a broken piece of my hand brake lever lying there in the street. I tried to stand the big girl and, it wasn't happening. By then, the mail man was at my side asking if I was ok. I turned and there was another young man with his little boy. They both asked if I was OK. I was fine, some SERIOUS pride hurt and, some leg scratches but, I'm fine. They grabbed the bike and, all three of us stood it up. I had already put the piece of brake lever in my pocket. My hand guard for that brake handle had popped off its end and was scratched a bit but, intact.

Needless to say, I was rather embarrassed. What a pure bone head. I've been riding for years and in odd circumstances just like I was just in. But, these circumstances just happened so fast and, I wag going SO SLOW that, even now, I'm not sure exactly what happened. All I know is, I made 3/4 of a U-turn, hit a bit of pavement/sand (both at the same level, no un-even heights) and the bike was DOWN!

So, I have a broken front brake lever. Both my mirrors loosened up but, did not break. My crash bar at the right front side got skinned up a slight amount but, nothing that bad.

So, I'm in need of a brake lever. And, upon examination, it appears there is a relief in the casting of that brake handle in a place that, if there should be enough leverage, that handle is SUPPOSED TO BREAK at that relief. I guess that's good thinking by Honda. Anybody got a front brake handle hanging around that will fit a 2018 AT/AT DCT model? Honda wants around $44 + tax.
Scott

·
Super Moderator
6,419 Posts
Ah crap FIRE UP, really sorry to learn about this happening to you. I actually read quite a few instances of this in the past year with a whole host of different riders and bikes. Fortunately, none of them expired. Brake/clutch lever breakage seems common.

You are brave to share your story. Now we need pics! ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ah crap FIRE UP, really sorry to learn about this happening to you. I actually read quite a few instances of this in the past year with a whole host of different riders and bikes. Fortunately, none of them expired. Brake/clutch lever breakage seems common.

You are brave to share your story. Now we need pics! ;)
Well gang,
I guess it's in my DNA, I can't have anything nice for any length of time. I was just cruising the streets in town today with my brand new, one week old, 2018 AT/AS DCT and, I made a U-turn going up hill. But, upon completion of the turn, the front tire hit the edge of some dirt and, I was already heading back down hill when the front tire just slipped out, the bike reacted to my reaction and just fell over. CRAP! There I am, laying in the middle of the street, it's broad day light, the mail man for the area was about 25' away and watched the whole thing.

I stood up, only to see a broken piece of my hand brake lever lying there in the street. I tried to stand the big girl and, it wasn't happening. By then, the mail man was at my side asking if I was ok. I turned and there was another young man with his little boy. They both asked if I was OK. I was fine, some SERIOUS pride hurt and, some leg scratches but, I'm fine. They grabbed the bike and, all three of us stood it up. I had already put the piece of brake lever in my pocket. My hand guard for that brake handle had popped off its end and was scratched a bit but, intact.

Needless to say, I was rather embarrassed. What a pure bone head. I've been riding for years and in odd circumstances just like I was just in. But, these circumstances just happened so fast and, I wag going SO SLOW that, even now, I'm not sure exactly what happened. All I know is, I made 3/4 of a U-turn, hit a bit of pavement/sand (both at the same level, no un-even heights) and the bike was DOWN!

So, I have a broken front brake lever. Both my mirrors loosened up but, did not break. My crash bar at the right front side got skinned up a slight amount but, nothing that bad.

So, I'm in need of a brake lever. And, upon examination, it appears there is a relief in the casting of that brake handle in a place that, if there should be enough leverage, that handle is SUPPOSED TO BREAK at that relief. I guess that's good thinking by Honda. Anybody got a front brake handle hanging around that will fit a 2018 AT/AT DCT model? Honda wants around $44 + tax.
Scott
Don't feel too bad. I dumped mine in the garage when my foot slipped on some "floor dry". Had less than 200 miles on the clock. Bruised my leg, and my pride, but saved the bike.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Don't beat yourself up. Overthinking, overreacting, overtired, little disasters over lots of stuff.
At least you didn't flick up your kick stand and only then hop up onto your seat. I've only looked that stupid once.

·
Registered
2017 DCT
336 Posts
Hey Fire Up,

Sorry to hear about the mishap. I've had several, as well.

Coming from a Valkyrie (most recently), I can empathize with you coming from a Wing. The AT has a considerably higher center of gravity, in my opinion, at least. It is still an adjustment for me, at low speed.

As many note, once rolling, no issues.

Glad to hear you are ok and there were some nice people around to help pick her up.

I dumped mine in deep sand a couple of weeks ago, and was unpleasantly surprised that I could not pick it up. No one was around, so had to make the call of shame to my wife to drive out with the SUV and a rachet winch strap to get her up.

I am now carrying one of these things with me:

East Bound Moto Winch

There are several makes out there, this one seemed like the best fit of engineering and availability.

Good luck! If your travels bring you through the Queen Creek, area, ping me and we can grab a socially distant burger or something and check out some of the rides I am discovering around here.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well,
l I most certainly appreciate the sympathy and empathy. I felt like a real idiot. More over, the bike is brand new. Anyway, I got the new brake handle on it's way and, the little black knuckle holder that encompass's the brake lever and is attached to the white hand protector. I got 30% off of the part's 'cause I bought the bike there a week ago. I guess that's about as good as I could get.
In the mean time, I wasn't gonna drive/ride around with a broken, sharp edged stub of a brake handle. I use it too much. So, off the stub came and, I prepped it for welding. I've welded a few thousand miles of aluminum but this thing, was sure giving me grief. I think the chemical makeup is not pure aluminum. Anyway, I got it glued back together enough to hold and use, while awaiting the new one. The bottom of my right foot peg got a tad bit scarred up too. But, you can't see that so, I'm not too worried about it. Thanks again for all the kind words guys, very much appreciated.
Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
596 Posts
Well gang,
Don't feel bad. I dropped mine in the garage when my foot slipped on the concrete. It tipped over and pinned me against the wall briefly. I crawled out from under it and had to get one of the neighbours to help get it back up on its wheels. Broken front brake lever and a scratch on the light bar/crash bar. The bar saved the fairing and the hand guard didn't break. I should have changed footwear before mounting up. I haven't even made it to 100 kms yet. Now that we have both put the first scratch on the bikes maybe we will be more relaxed and never do it again.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Fire Up,

Sorry to hear about the mishap. I've had several, as well.

Coming from a Valkyrie (most recently), I can empathize with you coming from a Wing. The AT has a considerably higher center of gravity, in my opinion, at least. It is still an adjustment for me, at low speed.

As many note, once rolling, no issues.

Glad to hear you are ok and there were some nice people around to help pick her up.

I dumped mine in deep sand a couple of weeks ago, and was unpleasantly surprised that I could not pick it up. No one was around, so had to make the call of shame to my wife to drive out with the SUV and a rachet winch strap to get her up.

I am now carrying one of these things with me:

East Bound Moto Winch

There are several makes out there, this one seemed like the best fit of engineering and availability.

Good luck! If your travels bring you through the Queen Creek, area, ping me and we can grab a socially distant burger or something and check out some of the rides I am discovering around here.
Hey Beowulf,
I really, really appreciate the kind thoughts and empathy. I read that thread saw the dirt nap photo. Believe me, I NEVER want to be in that situation!!! But, things happen. (imagine that) I looked up some of those bike lifters right after reading your thread. Well, today was a definitely a lesson to be learned. Not only was I an idiot 'cause, the situation could have easily been prevented in several ways. But, second, when that bike was sitting/laying on its side, it was laying DOWN HILL, with the tank at the lowest part. Talk about HEAVY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As stated, I went to pick it up by myself and, it was like I got it up a few inches and, there was a CHAIN that was bolted to the bike and the PAVEMENT.
That bike was not gonna get uprighted my me alone, no matter how much I wanted to turn into the HULK!

I will definitely look you up if we (the CEO and I ) get in your neck of the woods. And, likewise, if you ever get to my little pond of Lake Havasu, ping me also. Most of our local trails are beat to death by side-by-sides and are about 99.999% wash board. But, there's still one here and there that's fun.
Scott

·
Super Moderator
6,419 Posts
Well,
l I most certainly appreciate the sympathy and empathy. I felt like a real idiot. More over, the bike is brand new. Anyway, I got the new brake handle on it's way and, the little black knuckle holder that encompass's the brake lever and is attached to the white hand protector. I got 30% off of the part's 'cause I bought the bike there a week ago. I guess that's about as good as I could get.
In the mean time, I wasn't gonna drive/ride around with a broken, sharp edged stub of a brake handle. I use it too much. So, off the stub came and, I prepped it for welding. I've welded a few thousand miles of aluminum but this thing, was sure giving me grief. I think the chemical makeup is not pure aluminum. Anyway, I got it glued back together enough to hold and use, while awaiting the new one. The bottom of my right foot peg got a tad bit scarred up too. But, you can't see that so, I'm not too worried about it. Thanks again for all the kind words guys, very much appreciated.
Scott
That aluminum weld job is pretty incredible Scott. I don't think I have even seen one tried before on a hand lever.

·
Registered
167 Posts
My front brake lever didn't break, it's curled around forward and the parking brake lever is bent upward.
I swear, my bike is narcaleptic. I'm a perfect rider, I've never picked up my bike twice in the same place.....well except that one time.

·
Administrator
3,326 Posts
It's too bad it broke so far down. A Lot of brake levers have a detent closer to the ball, so when they break, you are left with a bit more. If you had more, I would have suggested just rounding it off with a file and leaving it. I cut off the opposite lever on my KTM 690 on purpose so they matched and just rounded them off. Left them as short levers. Like it better that way anyway.

Unfortunately, spare levers are something I do not have. I do have an extra set of white handguards if you need them. They pop off if you even look at them cross-eyed though. Better to replace them with something else :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Sorry to hear this. But rest assured, you are not the first and you won't be the last to experience this. Had the Valkyrie fall on me a couple of months back when I was replacing the exhaust. My hand would've been crushed had I not stuck my left knee in there. Was lucky to get away with just a few bruises and screaming at the top of my voice asking my gf to help pick the bike off me!!!

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DoubleThumper,
I appreciate the nice comment on the weld job. Yeah, been TIG, MIG and ARC welding for decades. And before then, back in the STONE AGES, I was Oxy-Acetylene welding. Now THAT'S dating myself. Anyway, as stated, that aluminum brake lever had some impurities in it that made the job a bit on the finicky side. But, I muddled through it and cleaned it up so it looked presentable during the wait for the new one to arrive. I could have just dressed up the broken end and it would have been a super shorty for the wait 'till the new one arrived. But, I have the welder, the time, and the desire to goof around and try and fix stuff. And, speaking of the new one, Honda's pretty proud of those. The dealer wanted around $44.00 for it plus tax. But, since we just spent about $11,000 on the bike a week ago, I was given a 30% discount on parts 'till the end of the month, pretty big of them huh? hehehe.

Anyway, I got the new one for $32 total, and that's shipped to my door. As stated in one of my other posts, I've got a new rack for the rear and, a back rest for the CEO coming. It should have been here two days ago. But, USPS is screwing around with shipping and, who knows where it is? I'm anxious to get them and see how they look installed.

If I think it will work, I might end up buying one of Harbor Freight's water proof boxes, (similar to a Pelican Box) and I might get (most likely WILL GET) one of those portable winches to help me LIFT THE BIKE when, not if, it falls again but, I'm alone. I'm 6' 2.5" and weigh, at this minute, about 244. So, I'm kind-a an elephant. And I still couldn't begin to lift that bike. Man, I really need to eat my Wheaties instead of pancakes.
Scott

·
Super Moderator
6,419 Posts
Seems to be many instances of lifting the AT from nap position. I can't imagine the ATAS with its enlarged fuel capacity being a walk in the park for sure.

My previous CB1100 was heavier than the AT and was a pig to lift. The inline-4 was a bit top heavy. Might think of other strategies for waking the beast from a nap.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Seems to be many instances of lifting the AT from nap position. I can't imagine the ATAS with its enlarged fuel capacity being a walk in the park for sure.

My previous CB1100 was heavier than the AT and was a pig to lift. The inline-4 was a bit top heavy. Might think of other strategies for waking the beast from a nap.
Like a CRANE!!! :LOL:

Reactions: DoubleThumper
1 - 20 of 46 Posts