Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Gang,
Our temps here in south western AZ are starting to ramp up some. Not intolerable, just ramping up. The day-time run-a-rounds are still tolerable easily but, just not as pleasurable as the early morning runs. So, I've been doing early morning runs on my little Yamaha TW 200 in the past 'cause it was easier to manipulate through our city streets and, since we're surrounded by desert, I occasionally hit a small, light duty off road excursion but, not too intense.

But, with the acquisition of the AT, my early morning jaunts, are waaaaaaaaaay more pleasureable. My take-off time, when I'm rolling out of my driveway, is anywhere from about 05:45 to 06:15 or so. The sun is just peeking over the eastern hills, depending on the position in the city I'm in at the time.

Folks, this is by far, not nearly as scenic and presentative as many of you get to play in but, it's all I got in and around me. Desert is desert, PERIOD! But, as you can see in the pics, we do have our local pond to play in and around. What's really nice about running around our little town in the early A.M. is, little to NO traffic at all. The temps are around 72 or so at this time of year. If I pull up to a four way stop sign intersection, I don't have any Blue hairs sitting in front of me thinking: hmmm, I'm alone at this intersection, I can't figure out if it's my turn to go or not (we have plenty of those) .

So, all around, this is a great time of year, for my early morning meanderings in and around our little town of Lake Havasu City AZ. As it approaches June and on 'till Sept, even the wee morning hours present over 100 degree cruising. Doable but, not fun.
Scott

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,419 Posts
Scott, I like the desert and its wonders, which goes well with your AT poses.

Here, we've are at the beginning of 24 to 36 hours of constant rain. Could get up to 100 mm after all said and done.

I'd also keep an eye on that sidestand. :)

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
598 Posts
Ah, Lake Havasu. Chain saws & the London Bridge!

I was at LH back in 1978 for a nuclear-like test called Miser's Bluff out at Planet Ranch. Dad's company had developed a tactical satcom system for DoD and it was to be tested for nuclear hardness and I got to tag along. This was a large-scale detonation of 120 tons of ammonium nitrate (AN) laced with diesel oil and fused with det cord. This is basically the same stuff used to destroy the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City. Dad's terminal was one of hundreds of items positioned at varying distances from the explosion.

We were watching from a bunker 3 miles from the AN silo when they blew it. I can still vividly remember that boom! You could see the shock wave running across the desert towards us as it kicked up dust & blew little things around. The sound and pressure wave were still pretty heavy at our location. Nothing dangerous mind you. It was like getting a short, sharp shove to your chest. We later got to walk around some of the test site to see how items had managed the energy impulse. Some did OK, many did not. I remember one aluminum shelter with some test dummies seated inside where the side facing the silo was blown into the opposite side and you could see the outline of the dummies in the panel. They had been explosively sandwiched by the two walls.

When we weren't out on the test site we were in town enjoying the sights. I do remember it was really hot during the day - well over 100 deg F. Get your riding in while you can Fire up.

·
Registered
596 Posts
What's really nice about running around our little town in the early A.M. is, little to NO traffic at all. The temps are around 72 or so at this time of year. If I pull up to a four way stop sign intersection, I don't have any Blue hairs sitting in front of me thinking: hmmm, I'm alone at this intersection, I can't figure out if it's my turn to go or not (we have plenty of those) .
You would have loved the back street intersections in a city a little over an hour west of me. No 4 way stop signs, actually no stop signs or lights for any direction. Aggressive drivers claimed the right of way regardless of who reached the intersection first. Most motorcyclist felt like it was open season with us as the prey. Fortunately they discovered the value of stop signs and now very few of those unsigned intersections remain.

·
Registered
598 Posts
You would have loved the back street intersections in a city a little over an hour west of me. No 4 way stop signs, actually no stop signs or lights for any direction. Aggressive drivers claimed the right of way regardless of who reached the intersection first. Most motorcyclist felt like it was open season with us as the prey. Fortunately they discovered the value of stop signs and now very few of those unsigned intersections remain.
Where would that be Bill?

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow,
Great responses. Very much appreciated. WW, pertaining to the Nuclear (well, related to nuclear anyways) testing stuff, yeah, it's' amazing what the U.S. went through to try and gain the upper hand. Yep, they succeeded. Waaaaaaaaaay back in '78, Havasu was still emerging as a form of existence. Yes, there was development but, it wasn't nearly as popular as it is today. It's even WAAAAAAAY more popular at present 'cause of this Corona crap. You see, we're primarily the closest OPEN lake, in the southwestern U.S. to CA, AZ and NV.
The others are around Phoenix. Our boat ramps have been overloaded for weeks now. And, that's during normal operations. Here comes a holiday weekend! My boat won't even come out of it's cave for over a week due to the influx of CA etc. users.
Anyway, thanks a great deal for the story of yesteryear and just a tad of what you had to live with for all these years. I was a Bomb Tech (EOD) for the SDFD for almost 4 years so, the items/components you mentioned brought back some memories.

Billy J,
Yes, those kinds of intersections to reek havoc for safety for sure. We have very, very few uncontrolled intersections here in town. And I'm EXTREMELY aware when I enter or approach those. I want to ride as long as I can and don't want to end up being a bug splat (that would be a HUGE bug) on some air heads hood/grill 'cause they were being a bone head and not using at least some form of common sense. Good thing your area's been improved for safety in many of those intersections.

DT,
Thanks for the nice praise of my photos and our desert in general. I really don't have a problem with the desert or, living in it. I mean, if we (the CEO and I) moved here, we must have at least some form of appreciation for it. It's just that it would be nice to have at least somewhat close by, some nice pine tree laden road, curvy, (don't get me wrong, I'm no peg dragger) and nice shaded forest service roads. But, I'll survive and, we'll travel in the motorhome to areas like that where I can enjoy.
Scott

·
Registered
2017 DCT
336 Posts
Hey Scott,

Nice pics. Love the desert/lake effect.

I get out to Canyon Lake and Theodore Roosevelt Lake from time to time on my rides, but have not done the boat thing in many years.

Used to keep a pontoon boat on California's Lake Isabella when I had a place in the mountains near there. Figured out that I spent to much time working on the boat and not enough time using it to justify the slip rent, so sold it.

Let me know when you convince the CEO to ride east a few miles! I am finding some interesting routes not far North East from Phoenix.

·
Registered
598 Posts
We went for a little local ride late yesterday afternoon, my best MC & I. We were having such a good time that we didn't get back home until nearly 9 PM. This was slightly troublesome because all I had to ride with were my mirrored sunglasses so we just putted back home when the sun finally went down.

One of the really cool things about riding off-road here in Florida is the wildlife you will encounter. First up was the tortoise we came to crossing the wide sandy expanse of Rima Ridge Road at a dead sprint. This little guy was up on his tippy toes running across the road as fast as he could go. He stopped and went into defense mode when the front tire rolled to a stop within 3 feet. The tracks in the sand showed he had crossed the opposite way a short time ago. He had tried but failed to get over the sand berm recently left by the grader when the trail had been resurfaced. He was back tracking when we came along. As he would have had a similar problem trying to retrace his steps on the opposite side of the road, I picked him up and carried him well into the pines where we had a short discussion about playing in the road.

IMG_6080[1].JPG

Back on our way we next saw an agile tailless animal the size of a moderate dog crossing Rima about 1/2 mile ahead. Rolling up on the tracks showed this to be a good-sized bobcat out for a late afternoon hunt.

About a mile further up the road we came across this fellow out for an afternoon stroll, er, crawl. He was moving rather silently in his "moccasins." We didn't want to get too close because these guys can exhibit a nasty attitude.

IMG_6081[1].JPG

We saw many, many wild turkeys out and about all along our route. Several of the groups had young poults they were shepherding. We herded one tom up Rima at a trot for almost 1/4 mile, riding about 15 yards behind him. When we finally surged toward him he took to the air and very rapidly reached a height equal to the young pines beside the road. Ah, flight is an amazing evolutionary advantage.

We encountered several feral house cats out hunting for their dinner far, far away from any habitation. Dumping pets is a big problem out here in the Florida. An enormous and growing population of free-roaming cats exists here, posing a threat to the state’s native animal species, and creating a serious public health concern. Native bird populations are especially endangered. Local governments are slowly adopting a catch-neuter-release policy but the solution is anemic. Some local landowners have adopted a shoot-on-sight approach but that can lead to legal problems if discovered. We encountered no less than 7 feral cats on our ride.

We also saw several deer, wild pig, mating pairs of mourning doves (they tend to mate for life) and even a bald eagle who was apparently stalking some ducks looking for a place to lay their eggs near a lake shore. This majestic bird quickly took wing when we came around the corner about 200 yards away. They're big animals!

All this over about 3 hours and 100+ miles rolling around eastern Florida's byways.

Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Scott,

Nice pics. Love the desert/lake effect.

I get out to Canyon Lake and Theodore Roosevelt Lake from time to time on my rides, but have not done the boat thing in many years.

Used to keep a pontoon boat on California's Lake Isabella when I had a place in the mountains near there. Figured out that I spent to much time working on the boat and not enough time using it to justify the slip rent, so sold it.

Let me know when you convince the CEO to ride east a few miles! I am finding some interesting routes not far North East from Phoenix.
Hey Dane,
You know, we've owned 5 boats in our water life and, to date, none of them have ever actually lived up to the reputation of: * A boat is an empty hole in the water, you just keep pouring money into*. Sure, like any toy, there's maintenance, some breakage, some mods, and general upkeep---- waxing, trailer maintenance etc.But for us, that's really never been cause for issue. We (well, that is ME) just accepts it. We get a ton of fun out of them, along with friends etc. I'm including a pic of our present Bennington Tri-toon. We really love that one.

Anyway, thanks again for the invite to ride your neck of the woods, er, a, desert I should state. It's gonna happen, when, not sure. Again, I do appreciate the invite as I'm wanting to ride in different areas more and more.
Scott.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts