Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
shopping or buying? owning and enjoying? So many bikes; So little time. I’ve never owned a bad motorcycle. Recently retired. Today I want A Husky 701 supermoto. Yesterday an Adventure Sport. Might wait for the Tenere 700. Currently own A Wr250r and Fz09. If I purchased the 701 - Wr is history. ...and it has been a good ride. Fz is set up and could be used as my track ride. If I owned a super moto won’t need it for that.
Life is about choices. Is it more fun shopping or buying? Notice ,I did not ask if riding was more fun. Da...:wink2:

·
Registered
83 Posts
A bit like looking through the window of the sweet shop, then go and taste and then make your excited and expectant purchase. Some people know what they like and stick to them rails but myself i like to try all types, if only just to have that experience and then move on. You can always go back if you wish. I've had all different models of sports bike and naked's but this is my first foray into adventure bikes. The going round dealers, learning about the bikes and test riding them is half the fun to me, the final step is the purchase and so the process will start again.............. no doubt.

·
Registered
154 Posts
What makes it really difficult is the fact that there are so many fantastic bikes out there today. So it's not as if you are limited to three or four models...

·
Registered
61 Posts
There's so much fun and anticipation deciding which bike(s) to buy. In my opinion I have perhaps the best two bikes I could own but still love to look at and test ride what's on offer.

Life would be pretty dull without that tingle of excitement pre delivery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies,Lee,DD,and Clive. Understanding how and what you ride. I enjoy the enduro. Before the knee got blown out I’d take it to the nastiest trails . Now I love to tool along back roads and enjoy the scenery. Do I need A 70 hp supermoto to cruise backroads? No, but ...? ! But I still get the track day itch. Almost drove to Farmington today to put money down on the Husqvarna. Last track bike was a 990 superduke r. Haven’t gone back since the sale.
So what do you guys own besides the Africa Twin? It looks like a great bike for everyday and far away?
Jeff

·
Registered
24 Posts
Shopping! And modifying! I bought the Africa Twin as my 'it always starts, it always runs, I can use it for just about anything bike'. I keep that so I can jump on it and ride whenever and where ever without a worry. Then I buy, modify, and sell whatever mood I'm in that month haha, whether its supermotos, enduros, vintage, and so on. I used to have a garage full of bikes in various states of rebuild, and its incredibly frustrating to have a bunch of bikes that you can't ride. I ended up rushing just to get a bike back on the road.

I got the twin so I can rely on it to take me to Alaska at the drop of a hat, while still wrenching on other bikes. N+1

.....I've also been drooling over that 701 sm. I've heard its just a dream to ride.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lee, I had a 98 1200 bandit. Dale Walker hole shot kit. Made the ride around the lake day run in 9.5 hours. (lake Ontario) Thing pulled like a train!
Atwin, this is almost looking like a plan. Africa Twin for long haul . 701 Husky SM for track days and daily craziness. ...and when I get this d**n knee replaced I can pick up a set of dirt rims. LIWAPCT
Jeff

·
Registered
273 Posts
I want A Husky 701 supermoto.
Local bike shop sells Husky, they have a 701 Supermoto there. I see it when I go to get bike stuff (this week it was Oxford Hot Grips & Mitas E07 Rear tyre) for my AT. I prefer my AT for an Adventure Tourer bike, especially on longer trips including my yearly 2,000+ km trip to the other end of the country & back. But if I was more into riding trails, I'd love one of those for a 2nd bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kiwi, sounds like you own the best bike for what you do. Wish I could afford to vist. I hear the trout fishing is amazing.
What would be your second choice for a,”If I could own only one bike it would be a *****”

·
Registered
67 Posts
I used to own a KTM 640 Duke. It was always ON , I couldn’t ride it calmly the torque curve was addictive , on longer journeys I used to get off and look and feel like I’d been on a caffeine bender/overdose. Loved it but couldn’t recommend it or any of its single cylinder offspring as an only bike except for those who need their day filled with adrenaline .

·
Registered
273 Posts
What would be your second choice for a,”If I could own only one bike it would be a *****”
Honestly, I can't really think of another bike that fits the 'one bike to do everything' category.
I considered and dismissed a few options:
VStrom 1000 - Not a bad bike, would be fine on the road and good riding position. BUT - not really an off-road bike, no 21" front wheel and not enough ground clearance. Well priced and would be cheap to own and use, just doesn't quite do the job.
BMW 1200GS - probably less off-road capable than the AT, but a good tourer. BUT - way too expensive to buy and to own.
KTM 1090 Adventure - I'm sure that this would be a really good bike to ride. BUT - way too expensive to buy and to own.

The other options all lack DCT and the Euro bikes are going to end up costing so much more over time. The Suzuki VStrom would probably be a reasonable budget choice as long as you could accept the limitations of the much less ground clearance and smaller wheels, which would only occasionally be an issue if you are mostly riding sealed & gravel roads.

For me - I really wanted to have a bike with DCT and there are a lot of places in New Zealand that would be hard to get to with a pure road bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Macduff, I sold the 08SDR for much the same reason. It was fine for trackdays. Street riding it was hard to reign in the enthusiasm. So yes, A Supermoto would prolly not be my choice for a one bike garage.
Kiwi, I traded in a 1000 Strom for the Fz09. With the Madstad wind shield it was all day comfortable. I picked it up with the idea of a five week vacation ,a ride across Canada to Alaska and back. Boss nixed that. Now that Im retired it might be time to look into that again.?My buddy made the trip alone. Wonder if he’s up to go again?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts