Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning,

I'm returning to motorcycling after selling my last Triumph Street Triple R in 2012 and like the concept of adventure bikes. It's very likely it would only see dirt roads and double track trails but mostly used for commuting.

It's hard for me to justify the cost of the 2020 AT or maybe the Triumph Tiger 900 over the 2019 AT. My main concern is seat height and weight after owning sport bikes like the Interceptor 500, Super Hawk & RC51.

Thanks for your input.

·
Administrator
3,316 Posts
I have no experience with the Tiger 900, but used to own a Tiger 800XC. I found the Triumph carried its weight much higher than the AT. I am not sure if Triumph addressed this at all with the 900.

You haven't meantioned your height, so I can't offer much there othee than to say I am 6'2 33" inseam and have an Adventure Sports Model with the OEM seat in the high position. My wife is 5'8" 32"; inseam and rides a standard AT with the OEM seat in the low position.

There are many options out there beside the Tiger 900 and Africa Twin, I am sure you will find one that fits your needs best.

Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,996 Posts
I will add..
I use my bike as a commuter too and I absolutely love the DCT for that. I have a
18 ATAS

·
Registered
31 Posts
I’d buy a Versys-X 300 and a KLX250 instead of an AT if I had it to do over. I don’t find the AT engine to be particularly good at street or dirt.

·
Registered
191 Posts
It's very likely it would only see dirt roads and double track trails but mostly used for commuting.
I'm not entirely sure what you're saying. If it's mostly commuting--and not commuting on those dirt roads--is it something where a lower and much lighter DR650 would work? Or is the commute a long enough distance where the larger fuel capacity of a V85TT would be better--FWIW my commute is in that category. It's definitely not in the DR650 category. But if it's riding a few miles around town, you might find a DR650 does all your stuff well. If you're commuting over 100 miles on the freeway, more range than a standard AT would be convenient. If the range is enough though, DCT is pretty amazing for commuting, and for that you gotta go with AT.

Keeping in mine your usage, it might be good to ride some of the bikes if you can and see what you enjoy riding.

Dunno if you're interested in BMW, but for the weight boxer twins feel lower and lighter than they are.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Won't the only real way you'll know what's right for you be to try them all? It is pointless asking a bunch of AT owners if they recommend an AT....they will as they are brilliant. Try to get decent test rides and decide from that. IMHO

·
Registered
136 Posts
Won't the only real way you'll know what's right for you be to try them all? It is pointless asking a bunch of AT owners if they recommend an AT....they will as they are brilliant. Try to get decent test rides and decide from that. IMHO
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: You make my Day!!!!. It is true. Don't come to the forum of the AT to ask which other bike is best, since I think all the folks here Love their AT's

·
Registered
57 Posts
You wish to ride the bike every day, I assume, right? Please, read about all the problems Africa Twin is experiencing. When you are done reading, make a decision whether you want to still consider the AT at all. Good Luck and safe riding.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Guess it would depend on the particular street, wouldn't it. To each dirt or street size their own bike.
Yeah,
I found his response to be a bit perplexing too. I'm new to the AT world and don't even have on YET. But, after seeing multiple videos and reading lots and lots of praise, seeing one that reports not being happy on or off road, is surely against the grain, especially of this forum.
Scott

·
Super Moderator
6,405 Posts
Yeah,
I found his response to be a bit perplexing too. I'm new to the AT world and don't even have on YET. But, after seeing multiple videos and reading lots and lots of praise, seeing one that reports not being happy on or off road, is surely against the grain, especially of this forum.
Scott
If one happens to find a negative, but fair AT report, please feel free to share with the Forum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Agee with some earlier post... the bike that is good for you is not good for me. I like to ride my AT like Mad Mic on YouTube rides his. But with what you mentioned I think you would not regret a cheaper used BMW R1200GSA. As mentioned they carry their weight low. I have had my GS in some gnarly situations and yet can cruise 100mph for long distances in great comfort.
The only drawback is how wide it feels but you get used to it really fast. The 1200 has plenty of power and handles extremely well. Watch lots of videos on AVD bikes and notice the guys that ride similar to your style and what bikes they like. Generally the guys that are mostly going to be on the road and some gravel love the R1200 GS and the ones that like more gnarly off-road lean towards KTM 1090 & 790 etc. KTM’s are lighter and faster! I find the Africa twin to be in between the two when it comes to on-road off-rode but slower than both. I like the Offroad more and I’m very interested in the KTM 890 when it comes out. It’s nice to test ride as many bikes as you can however you really can’t tell how well they suit you until you really spend a bit more time in the saddle than just a test ride. I would not recommend a smaller displacement bike like the DRZ650 because you mentioned commuting. Even the AT revs more than the GS on the highway. The GS is so smooth so comfortable and handles the twisties better than most bikes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thing is, the GS not only rides faster, but stays slower too.

And KTM is like with a stove -- the more you turn up the heat, the quicker eggs fry.

·
Registered
729 Posts
If one happens to find a negative, but fair AT report, please feel free to share with the Forum.
Roger that, If I've said something incorrect or offensive, sorry about that.
Scott

·
Registered
58 Posts
Zander: That is some image. Is the stove, er, I mean, the swing arm broken?
No, stove is the KTM -- the heat of firing engine goes right up through the seat and whatever reinforcement, foil, other reflector or heat sink in between. Shaft failure is pretty common with the bmw, especially in dirt.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts