Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a new AT with the DCT and just finished putting the break in miles on it. This is the first DCT bike I have ever owned / ridden. Sometimes I feel the bike is in too tall of a gear and I have to downshift it with the thumb trigger to keep it from almost lugging.

I haven't had the chance to take it off road yet, everything is covered with snow around here.

If you're a DCT owner, can you share your settings with me? Where do you find your sweet spot for on/off road riding (S1, S2, S3, manual, traction control, etc)? I hope you all are enjoying your bikes. I appreciate any feedback you have.

Thanks for your time.

Respectfully,
G20

·
Registered
191 Posts
I recently got a new AT with the DCT and just finished putting the break in miles on it. This is the first DCT bike I have ever owned / ridden. Sometimes I feel the bike is in too tall of a gear and I have to downshift it with the thumb trigger to keep it from almost lugging.
The almost lugging sounds like D mode. I mostly use S2. With S2, and T1 it will wheelie.

At first I thought the traction control was way too sensitive and the tires crap, until I realize TC was kicking in to prevent lifting the front wheel, rather than to prevent wheelspin. I still think TC is pretty sensitive in T3 mode, though I mostly leave it there. 1st bike I've had with TC.

Only paved road use on mine so far. Curious to see people's preferences for dirt.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just paved roads so far. All the throttle modes have a use for me. D is best for slow speed manoeuvring as it has the smoothest throttle at low rpm. S1 is good for normal town riding, you don't get the lugging as in D mode but the revs are not over the top either. For everyday riding S2 allows me to feel raw acceleration without getting that over reving feeling. Then S3 is for being as much of a hooligan as this bike will allow.

I still use the paddles on 2 occasions, first when doing a quick overtake, opening the throttle all the way will drop a couple of gears but if time is limited tapping the paddle gets you there quicker. In all modes I find the DCT has not downshifted enough before corners if I want to have fun in the twisties, so I will usually do that with the paddles.

So far I have left TC as standard as I have only just dumped the OEM tyres and I needed all the TC I could get with them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your input guys. It was helpful. I thought there would have been others too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm just about at the 500mile mark and pretty much am in S3 or manual mode. D mode is awful and it will shift up to 6th gear doing 35mph and just lug along. S3 seems to hold the gear the right amount of time for me and will downshift almost the right amount and at the right time in the twisty's. I only wish the bike didn't go back to D mode every time you switch it off. I am getting used to starting it and going to S3 before taking off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had my AT DCT a month, no off road riding yet but now it's had it's first service, I find S2 to suit my riding style. At risk of slightly worse fuel consumption I find the gear changes suit me.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Check out this thread I posted a few weeks back before I got my AT:

http://www.africatwinforum.com/foru...-forum/30266-dct-mode-do-you-mostly-ride.html

At 1200 miles in, I ride mainly in S2/T3. If I'm in an area like a park or quiet neighborhood when I want to be less loud, I put it in D mode.

This week I'm going to start playing around with the T settings and and G mode for on/off pavement riding to see if I can notice any differences.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I still use the paddles on 2 occasions, first when doing a quick overtake, opening the throttle all the way will drop a couple of gears but if time is limited tapping the paddle gets you there quicker. In all modes I find the DCT has not downshifted enough before corners if I want to have fun in the twisties, so I will usually do that with the paddles.
I've been doing the same. The bike is pretty fun when cruising along, quickly clicking down two gears and pinning the throttle at the same time. It responds quicker than just pinning the throttle and waiting for DCT to get to the right gear.

·
Registered
110 Posts
DCT is pretty smart but not perfect. In D mode it will hold gears longer if your gassing on it pretty hard. It also sometimes won't shift up or down when you think it should no matter what mode your in. In that case just use the paddles, they override the cpu. I don't use manual mode because I forget to downshift in the corners and end up lugging the engine.

Getting a decent auto downshift out of DCT is hard imo, that's where paddles come in again.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Late to the party as usual but I too find I stay in S2 T3 for my daily commute.
Do find that if I get caught in the pissing rains and the roads are slippy are like the pace that S1 T3v gives me.
Only find myself using D on long motorway Slogs

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey G20!

I have over 7K miles on mine. I too found it slow to downshift into a corner, until I got a little more aggressive going into the corner. If you are harder on the brake it will downshift earlier. I pretty much use S2 mode all the time, it seems to fit the way I ride. I use T3 on the pavement and just turn it off in the dirt, but there is some comfort being in T2 to limit how much you can spin the rear coming out of a corner. Then again, I am not trying to pop wheelies. But for me, the fact is, on a loose corner in a climb, I just prefer to turn it off and use throttle control. I hate that popping of the engine limiter. As for the kickdown to pass, timing your throttle application to allow a second or two for the downshift is just practice. Me, I can see when a pass is coming, and throttle accordingly. (or you can touch the paddle a couple of times) Try it different ways and you will find what you like. Enjoy!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I too found it slow to downshift into a corner, until I got a little more aggressive going into the corner. If you are harder on the brake it will downshift earlier.
Same here. I've found with a combination of coming off the throttle fast and touching the brake, you can cause the AT to downshift on cue and stay there versus jump back into the gear by using the paddle.

I use T3 on the pavement and just turn it off in the dirt
How do you turn it off? I thought you could only set it to T1-3.

·
Administrator
3,328 Posts
Same here. I've found with a combination of coming off the throttle fast and touching the brake, you can cause the AT to downshift on cue and stay there versus jump back into the gear by using the paddle.

How do you turn it off? I thought you could only set it to T1-3.

Press and hold the button and it will go off. The display bars will disappear from whatever level you previously had it set to T1-3. Pressing and holding again will resume to T3 setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Only find myself using D on long motorway Slogs
If you're just cruising along in 6th gear on the highway, is there any difference in the modes?

Even if I'm going steady in 6th for a long time, I've just been leaving mine in S2 because I thought it might downshift on acceleration (for passing) earlier in that mode.

·
Registered
269 Posts
If you're just cruising along in 6th gear on the highway, is there any difference in the modes?
Not even a tiny bit. The modes only affect when it changes and even then, if S2 doesn't change up as quickly as you would like you can always use your left index finger to tell it to change up.

I usually use S1 (sometimes I put it in S3 for some fun in the twisties) and literally NEVER use D. I do sometimes prompt up-shifts and I also sometimes prompt down-shifts, I figure those buttons on the left switch-block are there for a reason!

·
Administrator
3,328 Posts

Even if I'm going steady in 6th for a long time, I've just been leaving mine in S2 because I thought it might downshift on acceleration (for passing) earlier in that mode.

While in 6th gear, no. But I tend to downshift to 5th when getting ready to pass using the paddle shifter. In my experience while in D, it upshifts quicker back to 6th, I am sure to maximize fuel economy. Too fast for my own tastes. I tend to avoid D, but it’s a personal choice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I commute daily through heavy traffic and have to filter between lanes so I’m always using D mode in the city, S modes will downshift to 1st gear when I don’t need to. I used D mode once in the highway doing around 60mph / 100kph and the fuel reserve light turned on at 250 miles / 400 km, so it really saves fuel.

Normally when I get to the highway and twisties I use manual mode with TC 1 or 2.

When I’m offroad I also use manual mode but with G mode on, TC and rear ABS deactivated.

So not many S mode time for me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
How do you turn it off? I thought you could only set it to T1-3.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, just hold the lever for a second or two, bars will go out. I just do it when I start out on the dirt, just like turning ABS rear off and Gravel mode on.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts