Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I feel like this is kind of a stupid question and I am not sure where to post it
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Rim Automotive air manifold
but I just had a minor fall in lose gravel and now my bar is out of wack, I don’t think I actually bend the bar but I am not sure what I did. I am not sure I didn’t do it picking the bike up it was topside pointing down hill and took a lot more force than I expected to pick it up and I thought I might have felt some move that should not have. Any idea what happened and how to fix it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Part 2 of the question is there a brace or something to make this not happen so easy? It really was not that hard of a fall and I would not think lifting the bike by the bar and rear grab handle should bend anything

·
Registered
277 Posts
It's better if the risers twist in the rubber mounts like that. If the bar risers and clamp are heavily braced, then it's more likely to bend he bar and/or bracket. Is that the stock bar clamp setup?

If you're on the trail and need a quick fix, you can block the front wheel against something fairly immovable and push/turn the bars into the the direction they need to go.

If you're at home or a suitable wrenching location, I'd do a couple things - loosen the bar riser nuts on the underside of the upper triple clamp, then loosen the top bar clamps bolts and straighten the risers as much as possible. Tighten the bar clamp then the riser nuts (39 Nm) while making sure the handlebar is aligned. You can turn the handlebars to the steering stops to make adjustments. I prefer to loosen the fasteners for major alignment adjustments rather than forcing if possible.

Next, I'd take most of the weight of the front, like on the centerstand if you have one, or supported under the skidplate then loosen both upper and lower triple clamp bolts and torque to spec (or less than spec on the lowers).

Top triple clamp pinch bolts 22 Nm
Lower triple clamp pinch bolts 25 Nm (recommended 12 - 15 Nm)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks for the information sounds like it shouldn’t be to bad to fix, Yes it is the stock setup.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Ok thanks for the information sounds like it shouldn’t be to bad to fix, Yes it is the stock setup.
Very common especially on rubber mounted stems. One of the benefits of the rubber mounts is what you see. Everything twists without bending/breaking. A down side is it doesn’t take much force to do it. Follow Nomadic’s instructions and you’ll be fine.

·
Registered
2019 AT DCT, 2017 Duke 690, 2019 Versys 1000 SE LT+
40 Posts
And if you're in the middle of the trail and don't have all the tools to fix it. Just brace your front wheel, (in this case-the right side) against a tree and mildly yank the bars to the right to straighten them back out, maybe. Worked on my transalp.

·
Registered
CRF1100 DCT 2021
211 Posts
actually you just need to turn the handlebars to it's stop on the direction needed for correction and then give the handlebars some brisk good pushing
Its normal to happen on a fall and really easy to fix on the spot, no tools required ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
actually you just need to turn the handlebars to it's stop on the direction needed for correction and then give the handlebars some brisk good pushing
Its normal to happen on a fall and really easy to fix on the spot, no tools required ;)
Worked a charm. I put my bike down very gently in a parking lot after someone walked in front of me mid turn and I could not quite catch it. Could not understand how such a gentle lowering could bend the bike but now I get the point of the rubber bushings. Read your advice, walked to bike, pushed it a bit against the lock, all sorted.

·
Super Moderator
6,767 Posts
Worked a charm. I put my bike down very gently in a parking lot after someone walked in front of me mid turn and I could not quite catch it. Could not understand how such a gentle lowering could bend the bike but now I get the point of the rubber bushings. Read your advice, walked to bike, pushed it a bit against the lock, all sorted.
Excellent to read (except "the drop", of course) @AradorAristata. Welcome to the Forum!

Feel free to introduce yourself at the New Member Introductions area of the Forum.

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
267 Posts
I missed a turn this weekend in some gravel. Ended up riding into the grass which turned into a drainage area, back end slid around and a zero speed drop happened on soft grass. Bars went out of wack but was an easy fix. Worst part was I forgot how to turn the traction control off. Was stuck in the grass with the rear wheel spinning and tc preventing me from powering up hill, needed a push. Doh!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts