• Have more than one, and different price levels

Votes: 11 20.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like quite a few of us here, I’ve ridden for a lot of years and quite a few of those were spent off road. I’ve seen, and more importantly experienced just why one should wear a helmet. I was just curious on how many here wear one and how much you spent, the cash answer is kinda relevant in I firmly believe that you get what you pay for protection wise...

·
Super Moderator
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
234 Posts
I use a Nolan N-102 modular, around $400 new. Meets DOT and CE standards. I have mixed feelings about the Snell rating where motorcycles are concerned. Helmet use is mandatory in my area. Even if it wasn't I would not ride without one.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The DOT rating does not always mean a helmet is safe as the testing is done by the helmet manufacturer and stated to pass the standard, not certified by a third party testing lab. I have heard that more than 40% of the DOT rated helmets when tested to the standard by a third party, will not pass the standards.

·
Super Moderator
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The DOT rating does not always mean a helmet is safe as the testing is done by the helmet manufacturer and stated to pass the standard, not certified by a third party testing lab. I have heard that more than 40% of the DOT rated helmets when tested to the standard by a third party, will not pass the standards.
I don’t know if I would go that high on the numbers, but, I would go as far to say you are more likely to get a sub-par helmet because of poor quality control.. Not to mention the DOT standards are pretty low to add to that..

·
Registered
251 Posts
I didn't have much experience or knowledge regarding helmets. Going up in Illinois, I never wore one, carried the cheapest thing I could find when traveling and only wore it when I had to. I eventually moved to a helmet mandatory state so I just wore cheap half helmets.

When I got the leftover AT, I also had a bunch of cash back on that purchase, and with a new baby, figured I'd get something safer and more suitable. I was pretty impressed with the scorpion at950. I really liked the sunshade feature and modular design. It's lightweight, comfortable and after checking out reviews, felt it was a good value. I think it was about $260.

·
Super Moderator
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't have much experience or knowledge regarding helmets. Going up in Illinois, I never wore one, carried the cheapest thing I could find when traveling and only wore it when I had to. I eventually moved to a helmet mandatory state so I just wore cheap half helmets.

When I got the leftover AT, I also had a bunch of cash back on that purchase, and with a new baby, figured I'd get something safer and more suitable. I was pretty impressed with the scorpion at950. I really liked the sunshade feature and modular design. It's lightweight, comfortable and after checking out reviews, felt it was a good value. I think it was about $260.
Well twice for sure a helmet has saved me from, at that very least, serious brain damage. Tho those two times were way back in the day. Once I managed to “kiss’ my front fender on the way down to do a headstand, unfortunately I was was doing around 95+ mph and my headstand didn’t work out well. Then another time I crossed paths with a full size van doing 50mph, luckily the” T-bone “ just caught my back tire, but my superman impression was great in that I kept the flying part for 52ft, but I lacked stability in flight but that did lead to some impressive in flight acrobatics, unfortunately my landing was even worse than my flight..

·
Registered
251 Posts
Well twice for sure a helmet has saved me from, at that very least, serious brain damage. Tho those two times were way back in the day. Once I managed to “kiss’ my front fender on the way down to do a headstand, unfortunately I was was doing around 95+ mph and my headstand didn’t work out well. Then another time I crossed paths with a full size van doing 50mph, luckily the” T-bone “ just caught my back tire, but my superman impression was great in that I kept the flying part for 52ft, but I lacked stability in flight but that did lead to some impressive in flight acrobatics, unfortunately my landing was even worse than my flight..

Yeah, the more stories I've heard, it's really rediculous not to wear one. Death would be preferable to some of the outcomes out there. We can't avoid every possible scenario, but we can mitigate the risk the best we can. Glad you're still here to tell the tale AT!

·
Super Moderator
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, the more stories I've heard, it's really rediculous not to wear one. Death would be preferable to some of the outcomes out there. We can't avoid every possible scenario, but we can mitigate the risk the best we can. Glad you're still here to tell the tale AT!
Thanks, lol those events were just a couple of my times with a helmet on and I have no doubts that, had I not, the outcome would of been drastically different...I’ve got a few others that involve excessive speed and luck ( or divine intervention ). Not to mention the 3 times I’ve seen someone just fall over on a bike at a standstill and hit their head on the pavement, you’d be in amazement just how hard one can smack their head into the ground when unable to brace themselves during a fall, luckily those individuals had helmets on but the “crack” of it is LOUD! ROFL loud enough that after witnessing it you wanna wear a helmet all the time just in case you trip....

·
Administrator
1,893 Posts
My wife had a nasty tumble when one of her nikes, a Husqvarna TR650 went into a nasty tank slapper and tossed her at 60-something mph. She hit the ground, slid and tumbled. Luckily to the median strip where she was able to climb out of the road. Also luckily in addition to wearing a helmet, she was also full ATGAT including her Forcefield Pro shirt and pants. She escaped with a bruised mandible, a few bruised ribs, contusions on her back, hips, legs and a small laceration on her left hand (though oddly the glove wasn't cut through).

We think the laceration maybe came from the plastic hand guard shattering, judging from how the aluminum backbone was worn down.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have worn Shoei most of my of riding days, last one was a hornet. Last year I bought a new Klim Krios Pro, worn it for about 20,000 kms now and it a really good helmet super light, petty quiet, good fit, reasonable air flow, does fog a little. If you are looking for a new Helmet you should check it out.

·
Administrator
1,893 Posts
...does fog a little. If you are looking for a new Helmet you should check it out.
The fog comment reminds me. Arai came out with that fog-resistant XD4 shield last year I believe? A little pricey, but sooo much better than the pinlock insert imho.

·
Super Moderator
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My wife had a nasty tumble when one of her nikes, a Husqvarna TR650 went into a nasty tank slapper and tossed her at 60-something mph. She hit the ground, slid and tumbled. Luckily to the median strip where she was able to climb out of the road. Also luckily in addition to wearing a helmet, she was also full ATGAT including her Forcefield Pro shirt and pants. She escaped with a bruised mandible, a few bruised ribs, contusions on her back, hips, legs and a small laceration on her left hand (though oddly the glove wasn't cut through).

We think the laceration maybe came from the plastic hand guard shattering, judging from how the aluminum backbone was worn down.

Sorry to hear she had a accident and after looking at the pics cringe at the thought of how she would of came out of it had she not had it on, it’s really good to know that a few minor injuries and her walking away was the end result....

Reactions: Cuchulainn

·
Administrator
1,893 Posts
Sorry to hear she had a accident and after looking at the pics cringe at the thought of how she would of came out of it had she not had it on, it’s really good to know that a few minor injuries and her walking away was the end result....
Yeah, she was fortunate for sure. She walked into the hospital on her own and they told her it isn't often they see someone come off a bike at that speed and just walk in, let alone have just minor injuries. They were certain that she had a broken mandible at a minimum and likely broken ribs and possible neck injury. But just needed a few stitches for the laceration and was back at work the next morning.

A buddy of mine, after seeing the helmet and the bruising and fat lip she was sporting even with the helmet decided he was never going to wear the open face helmet he had just purchased ever again. He decided it was full face helmet at all times from then on.

·
Super Moderator
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It’s VERY easy to forget just how fragile the human body is...

Reactions: Cuchulainn
1 - 20 of 37 Posts