Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
I went out for a ride, found some good gravel roads to practice on. I'm more confident on gravel with the AT than I was on the DR650, I think it is because I have ABS and don't have to worry that if I brake too hard I could have the bike slide out from under me.

Found a nice spot looking out over Raglan.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yesterday the weather wasn't so bad (it is winter here), so I went for a ride to catch up with another member over in Tauranga.

His is the silver one, the AT is a good looking bike in any colour IMO.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I installed the mount for my Garmin Zumo 595LM. I used the RAM ball on my windscreen brace and ran the wires back to my PC-8 under the seat. I tested the USB port and found that it output 0.5A at 5V, I couldn't imagine a situation where I'd use that, so I cut it off. I also cut off the mic in, speaker in & speaker out leads - they are all way too bulky and a complete waste of time.

I cut off the in-line fuse holder, then put the fuse that had been in that fuse holder into the PC-8 instead. This let me thread the wire through the tight spots and left the power lead still fused. I'm so glad I got the PC-8, no way I'd want to access the battery every time I added some electrics!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I would highly recommend not using D mode at all during break-in.
There, fixed it!

Seriously, D mode sucks and I never use it.
The other day I had pulled out of a petrol station after a fuel stop and started up an incline when I heard the bike sounding wrong, looked down at the display to see I was in 6th gear at 54kph and in D mode - oops, must have messed up my normal double-tap when I put it in gear - changed to my usual S1 and the bike quickly went to a more appropriate gear and sounded MUCH better. I only ever use S1 (for normal riding) and S3 (for spirited riding or for off-road), they are all I need.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I removed my Garmin Zumo 595 and will instead use a rugged phone with huge battery (Ulefone Power Armor 13 with 13,200mAh battery). This will mean that in horrible weather I could just run the phone without any charging cable plugged in and it should be able to run navigation all day without running out of battery. My Garmin was working just fine for what it does, but it can't run the app for my radar detector and doesn't offer any choices for the navigation app - so the phone wins in two ways.

Garmin sharing the windscreen brace with the RD.

Garmin is gone, mount (with wires) gone - The new phone with its very nice 6.81" screen looking good in its place. Both the phone & the RD nicely in my line of sight. Oh, look at that - it looks like I very recently hit 30,000kms on my AT.

·
Registered
282 Posts
This is a replacement for my previous TPMS, which was three years old and lost in the woods due to corrosion of the mounting bracket head.
My TPMS came with a cheap bracket that eventually broke, but the display unit had the bracket screwed into it with a 1/4" thread the same as used by camera tripod mounts, so I bought a RAM Mounts ball with 1/4" thread and put that on my TPMS display. Now I'm using RAM Mounts balls & arm to hold my TPMS and it is working great! Much stronger and more reliable than the cheap junk bracket that it originally came with.

·
Registered
282 Posts
This model is detachable, which may help prevent theft.;)
I could easily remove my TPMS display, but I never bother. Honestly it just is not an expensive enough item, being worth well under 1% of what the bike cost.
I will remove my navigation phone and radar detector though, I'm sure they would be much more tempting targets for thieves.
Pretty much anything attached by RAM Mounts is very easily detachable.

·
Registered
282 Posts
That seller also sells the model I have: 41.09US $ 16% OFF|M3 Waterproof Motorcycle Real Time Tire Pressure Monitoring System TPMS Wireless LCD Display Internal or External TH/WI Sensors|tire pressure monitor|motorcycle tire pressuretpms system - AliExpress
You can see on the pictures the 1/4" thread and the cheap junk bracket they supply with it. But I've had mine for almost 2.5 years and it is still working well. I've only replaced the sensor batteries once and I've charged the display unit a few times.

They look like they might be the same brand, just a different style of display unit. The sensors could easily be exactly the same.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts