Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
2221 - 2240 of 2273 Posts

· Registered
552 Posts
These aren't that expensive, not sure if they are all keyed alike, if so then anyone who has one will be able to undo. Might just make my own, shouldn't be difficult and will be one off so no chance of anyone having a key. We will see, shouldn't be too much of an issue around here but you never know, might be some Canadians on holiday or something.:D

View attachment 77911
They work well. And you'll have a spare key!
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas Rim

· Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
3,197 Posts
It was a pretty slow tip over, and I think it was starting to bend over the years. No fun not being able to stand the bike upright when stopping for gas or food.
I wouldn't be able to get off or on for that matter :D I would have to find a wall or a tree or something to prop it against :D
Glad the 2020 onwards have a very sturdy steel stand rather than the forged aluminium of the earlier ones.

· Administrator
11,171 Posts
These aren't that expensive, not sure if they are all keyed alike, if so then anyone who has one will be able to undo. Might just make my own, shouldn't be difficult and will be one off so no chance of anyone having a key. We will see, shouldn't be too much of an issue around here but you never know, might be some Canadians on holiday or something.:D

View attachment 77911
I have the AliExpress knock-offs of these. They are exactly the same, sans the "RAM" logo. I found the knock-offs 2-for-the-price-of-1 compared to the real deal.

However, I use the RAM [metal tumbler] key-lockable spinner. It has never been tampered with in the public domain all day, five days a week during the riding season.

· Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
3,197 Posts
Well last night I still did not have any due date from Amazon for delivery of the RAM Pin-Locks even though before I bought it said they would be with me today.
I cancelled the order and drew some up in Fusion and machined and anodised them today and I can be sure no one will have a key to suit. Also the RAM ones are not the best design in my opinion as needle nosed pliers or even two Philips screwdrivers could probably be used to remove them and we all know those Canadians are persistent beggars :D

Ok so a few pics.

Wood Gas Circle Auto part Household hardware

Hood Motor vehicle Wood Automotive design Bumper

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design Hood Wood

Fuel tank Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

· Administrator
11,171 Posts
... did the "RAM [metal tumbler] key-lockable spinner" motivate you? :D

But seriously, if you got the means - well done. You might be able to make a little side business with your service ... like some who mill (or lathe actually) aluminum oil crankcase filler caps to be tamper-resistant from those who insist on pouring sand into the sump.

· Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
3,197 Posts
The standard RAM ones spin, not sure about the key locking ones but yes that is why I made mine spin. :)
Take too long to make to compete with China :D It is actually the anodising that takes the longest, 2hrs to anodise the bits, 10mins in the dye and then 1/2hr to seal.

· Administrator
11,171 Posts
The standard RAM ones spin, not sure about the key locking ones but yes that is why I made mine spin. :)
Take too long to make to compete with China :D It is actually the anodising that takes the longest, 2hrs to anodise the bits, 10mins in the dye and then 1/2hr to seal.
The key locking ones do spin, yes.

· Administrator
11,171 Posts
Well last night I still did not have any due date from Amazon for delivery of the RAM Pin-Locks even though before I bought it said they would be with me today.
I cancelled the order and drew some up in Fusion and machined and anodised them today and I can be sure no one will have a key to suit. Also the RAM ones are not the best design in my opinion as needle nosed pliers or even two Philips screwdrivers could probably be used to remove them and we all know those Canadians are persistent beggars :D

Ok so a few pics.

View attachment 77974

View attachment 77975

View attachment 77976

View attachment 77977
@Hood - that is a great keyless "sleep at night" implementation.

That will keep the lazy street scum to seek a gain elsewhere.

· Registered
2017 Africa Twin
284 Posts
Winter Maintenance Time
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

I recently went through all the necessary and insane steps to change the oil, and clean the air filters: remove skid plate, remove crash protection, remove fairings. I wish engineers had to work on the nightmares they create. On top of that, a rubber grommet on the fairing disappeared. Two weeks to get it from Honda. Don’t know why I didn’t order them from Rocky Mountain, they always seem to have the OEM parts that my dealer doesn’t and cheaper.

Oh well, she’s ready for this years riding and the ID BDR.

· Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
3,197 Posts
Started making this, only had a lump of 4" x 2" aluminium so a lot of waste but it has already been paid for so...
Liquid Green Fluid Water Tap

First side done.

Wood Gas Rectangle Roof Concrete

Flipped over and faced off 30mm then cut the recess and chamfer.

Wood Grass Gas Pollution Waste

Didn't have any suitable acetal plate so cut from a piece of round.

Fluid Gas Helmet Electric blue Automotive tire

Parted off in the lathe and then faced/chamfered/engraved the other side. Bit of chatter on the end but it is hardly seen in real life so will be fine and likely scratched up soon enough anyway.
Hood Wood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Wood Rectangle Material property Household hardware Font

Will have to wait until next weekend before I can anodise the aluminium.

· Registered
726 Posts
Winter Maintenance Time
View attachment 78501

I recently went through all the necessary and insane steps to change the oil, and clean the air filters: remove skid plate, remove crash protection, remove fairings. I wish engineers had to work on the nightmares they create. On top of that, a rubber grommet on the fairing disappeared. Two weeks to get it from Honda. Don’t know why I didn’t order them from Rocky Mountain, they always seem to have the OEM parts that my dealer doesn’t and cheaper.

Oh well, she’s ready for this years riding and the ID BDR.
Yeah, I have extra rubber grommets on hand now after losing one from so much tank R&R on my ATAS for cleaning/servicing. Silicone helps the pins slide in the grommets without them popping out and haven't lost one since.

· Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
662 Posts
2221 - 2240 of 2273 Posts