Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
2241 - 2260 of 2273 Posts

· Registered
552 Posts
Started making this, only had a lump of 4" x 2" aluminium so a lot of waste but it has already been paid for so...
View attachment 78536

First side done.

View attachment 78537

Flipped over and faced off 30mm then cut the recess and chamfer.

View attachment 78538

Didn't have any suitable acetal plate so cut from a piece of round.

View attachment 78539

Parted off in the lathe and then faced/chamfered/engraved the other side. Bit of chatter on the end but it is hardly seen in real life so will be fine and likely scratched up soon enough anyway.
View attachment 78540
View attachment 78541

Will have to wait until next weekend before I can anodise the aluminium.
Very nice Hood, You really should go into machining case savers. (so you can see the sprocket)
A couple of years ago I asked an acquaintance of mine to machine one up for the AT. He said he would but his CNC's
are working hard, trying to supply demand for his Rotax and GS case savers.
Saw one design (here somewhere?) using spacers behind a plate.
Anyhoo just a thought
Bicycle part Scaled reptile Font Groupset Reptile

· Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
3,197 Posts
Very nice Hood, You really should go into machining case savers. (so you can see the sprocket)
A couple of years ago I asked an acquaintance of mine to machine one up for the AT. He said he would but his CNC's
are working hard, trying to supply demand for his Rotax and GS case savers.
Saw one design (here somewhere?) using spacers behind a plate.
Anyhoo just a thought
View attachment 78570
That looks like a lot of material removal for that part.

· Registered
2020 Honda Africa Twin Standard
174 Posts
Started making this, only had a lump of 4" x 2" aluminium so a lot of waste but it has already been paid for so...
View attachment 78536

First side done.

View attachment 78537

Flipped over and faced off 30mm then cut the recess and chamfer.

View attachment 78538

Didn't have any suitable acetal plate so cut from a piece of round.

View attachment 78539

Parted off in the lathe and then faced/chamfered/engraved the other side. Bit of chatter on the end but it is hardly seen in real life so will be fine and likely scratched up soon enough anyway.
View attachment 78540
View attachment 78541

Will have to wait until next weekend before I can anodise the aluminium.
Looks nice @Hood you think you would ever make extras a sell them? I have been looking for something like this for awhile and can't find anything. Would be good to get one for the rear disc also.

· Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
3,197 Posts
Looks nice @Hood you think you would ever make extras a sell them? I have been looking for something like this for awhile and can't find anything. Would be good to get one for the rear disc also.
It takes too long for me to make them to be viable. My mill is old and has a slow spindle speed so I can't crank up the feedrate to get the time down :(

I think Rugged Roads sell some, Touratech also do one if I recall.

· Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
3,197 Posts
I was initially going to make one from either stainless or aluminium sheet and bend it, did the drawing and actually made one of each but my brain wasn't working that day and I bent them the wrong way :D

Don't have pics of what I made but this was the drawing I did for it.

Bumper Rectangle Automotive exterior Automotive window part Font
Gesture Outdoor shoe Font Elbow Knee

· Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
3,197 Posts
Hood, could you send me that drawing? I might try and make that myself. Did you do it on Soildworks with dimensions? I know I am lazy ;) Thank you sir!
Do you have a CNC plasma or laser or will you be cutting by hand?
If the latter then maybe a pdf 1:1 scale would be best for you as you could print it out, cut and lay over the metal to mark the shape.
I did it in Fusion as mentioned but in the sheet metal workspace so I can give you the flat pattern like below.

Rectangle Parallel Font Diagram Line art

· Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
662 Posts
Anodised the fin last night but on putting on the bike I am not happy with it. Think I will strip it and re-anodise and dye it more like the footpegs.

View attachment 78780
My God, the Horror!!! It looks Horrible...🙄... sorry I hope my sarcasm is coming through the keyboard effectively.

Your talent never cease to amaze me. Looks slick and as always thanks for sharing, eh!!!

2241 - 2260 of 2273 Posts