Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
2261 - 2273 of 2273 Posts

· Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
3,197 Posts
Was back at the workshop this afternoon cutting some parts on the plasma for the boat I am currently fitting out so took the opportunity to etch/strip the fin then re-anodise and give it a sniff of the dye so it is more like the foot pegs.
Not had a chance to fit on the ATAS yet so not sure how it will look but certainly looks better than the previous, well to my eyes anyway. Think I will make a new acetal insert though to see if I can get rid of the chatter marks at the ends, I will however keep the machine mark look as I like that :D

Wood Gadget Material property Bumper Font

· Registered
2018 ATAS DCT
133 Posts
I went with some mates for a good hard off road trip.
What did I do to my AT ... well, I left a mark in the muffler protector. Imagine how ?

Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant community Plant

To show the gradient of this road, this photo is at level, the tree behind the bike is going up vertically.
The terrain was full of loose rocks and roots
Wheel Tire Plant Motorcycle Automotive tire

The view at the end of the hill was great
Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Land lot

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Automotive tire

Plant Tire Wheel Motorcycle Automotive tire

· Registered
2018 ATAS DCT
133 Posts
And I even forgot to post the photo with the 2 AT DCT stuck in the hill.
It took the power of 6 men with a recovery strap to move those bikes up the hill.
The terrain was so slippery and step that even the electronics and brute force of the AT could not help the riders alone (probably riders fault).
All in all 260kg of bike was too much for a long hill like that. (the hill is about 300 m long)
Plant Tire Plant community Vehicle Wheel

· Registered
2018 ATAS DCT
133 Posts
all the guys tried their best to make it to the top.
Some of us needed more help than others. At the end we all made it.
With the ATs, the issue was that the guy in front of us stalled his bike and we had to stop. ( the momentum as gone with the wind)
The AT with the DCT won't stall, we could have keep chugging along to the top, unless we loose control and down we go.
But once those heavy bikes stop in a hill, it's very difficult to get traction and momentum to keep going

· Registered
314 Posts
all the guys tried their best to make it to the top.
Some of us needed more help than others. At the end we all made it.
With the ATs, the issue was that the guy in front of us stalled his bike and we had to stop. ( the momentum as gone with the wind)
The AT with the DCT won't stall, we could have keep chugging along to the top, unless we loose control and down we go.
But once those heavy bikes stop in a hill, it's very difficult to get traction and momentum to keep going
This is why when climbing hills I don't begin until the bikes ahead of me are clear. Having to stop mid way really sucks.

· Registered
2018 ATAS DCT
133 Posts
This is why when climbing hills I don't begin until the bikes ahead of me are clear. Having to stop mid way really sucks.
100% agree, the issue is that the hill was preatty long and you can't see the end of the hill from the bottom (it turns ) and we were many riders too.
Part of the fun, I guess ...

2261 - 2273 of 2273 Posts