Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

221 - 240 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Finally I have all of the Ohlins Suspension on my bike after 3 months of waiting and making a few changes.

It rides SO much better. New tires went on at same time so that accounted for a significant change as well.

Ohlins fronts?!!! Those are big $$$ :surprise:

I thought of upgrading mine to Ohlins as well when I encounter the dreadful "stiction" our standard ATs are known for.

Question: just how much better are the Ohlins compared to other inexpensive upgrades (i.e. Racetech, Nitron TVT Cartridge, KYB SSS, or even DIY upgrades like swapping to ATAS forks+internals)?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ohlins fronts?!!! Those are big $$$ :surprise:

I thought of upgrading mine to Ohlins as well when I encounter the dreadful "stiction" our standard ATs are known for.

Question: just how much better are the Ohlins compared to other inexpensive upgrades (i.e. Racetech, Nitron TVT Cartridge, KYB SSS, or even DIY upgrades like swapping to ATAS forks+internals)?
I think the Ohlins drop in cartridges are far superior. First thing I would do on a road race bike was send them off and have stock internals ripped out and Ohlins, K-tech or JRi added to the stock forks. I originally ordered the complete Ohlins forks and waited 7 weeks and I still had 3 more people in front of me waiting. I gave up and just told Cogent to order up the 30 mil cartridges with correct springs and proceed. Well the springs for my size were in sweden so that took another 5 weeks. Wish I had just ordered the cartridges and springs when I ordered the rear shock. Knowing what I know now my forks were not affected by the premature wear at least to date at 4056 miles.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well, it was a work day, but... third day with the bike in the garage.

Picked out a few necessities for dear wife to order online:

(Shoei Neotec II, white, modular helmet) looked at my current Shoei modular, it had a 1999 date in it

Picked up a center stand at Ride Now Honda

Picked up and installed Honda's anti-cramp paddle device for the throttle. It is good. Best $6 thing I think you could hang on one of these non-cruise control monsters.

Picked out Barkbusters and Kaoko throttle lock, had dw order...

Half decided on Black Dog Cycle Works lower crash bars and bash plate. They are out enjoying their bikes, so not taking calls at the moment.

Picked out Oil (Mobil1 10w30 High Mileage full synthetic, API SL, no resource saving additives to screw the clutches) had dw order 10 quarts, Wally world

Picked out Honda transmission filters, (2) and Honda Oil filters (4) and had her order (Amazon)

Thinking about panniers, but not quite ready to decide.

Thinking about decent boots, but having a hard time liking any of the off-road boots that are not walkable.

Then... after dark, got a chance to look east of Phoenix on Google Earth; lots of squiggly little trails up into the hills. Took the AT out, and explored a few very mild dirt roads; found that no Torque control in "G" mode, S1 will put a big grin on your face every time you twist the throttle with those stock tires. Lots of sliding around and whooping it up like a teenager... I oughta be ashamed (but I'm not!) /forum/images/AfricaTwinForum/smilies/tango_face_devil.png

I think I'm starting to like the DCT, just a little.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I took pictures!

I actually did install the hyperlite aux running/flashing brake lights as well, but they aren't visible here.

Before/after over the past few months. Bone stock when I started. Making good progress! Tires will be the next big step, I think.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Took off the wheels and had Shinko 805/804 tires installed. The spacers fell out while removing the rear wheel. I got them backwards during assembly, with the help of my service manual; it shows the flanged spacer on the brake side. After an hour of trying to figure out why brake caliper bracket was rubbing the disc, I looked up an exploded diagram on the Honda parts website; it shows the flanged spacer on the sprocket side. Normally, I’d do better at keeping track of the location of parts as they come off the bike — live and learn.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I installed the mount for my Garmin Zumo 595LM. I used the RAM ball on my windscreen brace and ran the wires back to my PC-8 under the seat. I tested the USB port and found that it output 0.5A at 5V, I couldn't imagine a situation where I'd use that, so I cut it off. I also cut off the mic in, speaker in & speaker out leads - they are all way too bulky and a complete waste of time.

I cut off the in-line fuse holder, then put the fuse that had been in that fuse holder into the PC-8 instead. This let me thread the wire through the tight spots and left the power lead still fused. I'm so glad I got the PC-8, no way I'd want to access the battery every time I added some electrics!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Booked the 600 mile service at the local dealer. Quoted me $75, which is great considering parts alone would have ran me around $45. Having the service documented by an official Honda dealer is worth the extra $30

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just got off the phone with Konflict and sent a deposit for an Ohlins rear shock and fork cartridges. Also have a set of Barkbuster storm handguards and a factory center stand on the way.

I haven’t even paid tax or got a licensor plate on the bike yet haha. I’ll do that Wednesday after work.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Fitted some more stuff today....

1) UK Rally-Raid Wheelset, bigger spokes, bigger bearings, tougher rims.

2) Camel ADV - Sidestand Cameltoe

3) Rugged Roads Tail Tidy

4) GPR FURORE Nero Exhaust

5) New rear brake pads

·
Registered
4 Posts
Went out for a spin on my ATAS. Only had it a few days. Had read lots about the buffeting issues and sure enough, anything over 60mph it felt like my head was in a spin dryer.
Fortunately the wind deflector for the gap between the tank and forks I'd ordered was waiting for me when I got home. Had to re-drill a couple of the holes but the difference was amazing. No buffeting at all! If it helps anyone else I'm 6ft5 and have the seat on the tallest setting. Well worth £20.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Went out for a spin on my ATAS. Only had it a few days. Had read lots about the buffeting issues and sure enough, anything over 60mph it felt like my head was in a spin dryer.
Fortunately the wind deflector for the gap between the tank and forks I'd ordered was waiting for me when I got home. Had to re-drill a couple of the holes but the difference was amazing. No buffeting at all! If it helps anyone else I'm 6ft5 and have the seat on the tallest setting. Well worth £20.
(+1) Installed one last week (> 6' 1").

221 - 240 of 252 Posts