Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

241 - 260 of 410 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nothing to it, but for it I got another battery tender.

Plugged in my 10 year old tender and it smoked. Called Deltran and they could confirm it was in its last year of warranty and very kindly offered to replace at no cost. I opted for a replacement with another 10 year warranty for only $27.99. Good company.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Fitted a MRA Vario Touring-Screen, 2" bar risers, SW Motech PRO pannier frames and Barkbusters storm hand gaurds today. Tmrw will fit a pc8 so i can put a set of spots and power for my sat nav. Just going to use Lomo Motorcycle Adventure Pannier Dry Bags. Great stuff LOMO.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That's a smart lookin' set-up there Bones.
I agree, that is a sharp lookin bike! I was debating whether I should go black or silver for my crash bars on my AS, I think after seeing that the decision is made.

I pulled my forks off so they can go to Konflict as soon as I get the call, and added a set of Bark Busters. Going to swap tires and do a tubeless conversion while I wait, still not sure what yet, might just do 3M tape. Also considering a high fender conversion while I have it apart.

·
Super Moderator
1,563 Posts
I agree, that is a sharp lookin bike! I was debating whether I should go black or silver for my crash bars on my AS, I think after seeing that the decision is made.

I pulled my forks off so they can go to Konflict as soon as I get the call, and added a set of Bark Busters. Going to swap tires and do a tubeless conversion while I wait, still not sure what yet, might just do 3M tape. Also considering a high fender conversion while I have it apart.

View attachment 53400
Whoa!
Man, you live in a rough neighborhood. They not only stole your front wheel but took the forks too... JUST KIDDING
I put a camel high fender on mine, I liked the whole setup better, had no issues with it, including installation.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Whoa!
Man, you live in a rough neighborhood. They not only stole your front wheel but took the shocks too... JUST KIDDING
I put a camel high fender on mine, I liked the whole setup better, had no issues with it, including installation.
It’s rough up here, abominable snowman comes up and just steaks my forks. Dude thinks he owns the place!

TKC 80s are ordered, now to get the rest of my goodies before the new suspension shows up haha.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I serviced the Twin to get ready for my first nationwide riding and wild camping journey. I fitted a SWMotech Drybag together with the OEM boxes and I'm ready to slum it in style.
This bike really is a tank.

We love the AT and I'd guess we love kids too. Birds of a feather flock together, so if you're feeling kind and would like to directly support an amazing children's charity for sick kids; feel free to donate absolutely any amount to this wee fundraiser. I'll be sure to post the better photos on the forum when I'm back home next month.
Happy and safe riding, fellas.

·
Super Moderator
1,563 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Got a little bit of wrenching done today. Installed an Altrider clutch guard and voltage regulator guard, a Givi side stand enbiggener, and pulled the rear shock so that hassle is out of the way when my new suspension shows up.

I also ordered a Camel ADV high fender kit, a KTM fender and the KTM lower ford guards that Camel recommends. Also ordered the Altrider radiator guards.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Put the beast through its paces today: Freeway, city, rural, freeway, congested city, sitting and standing. No offroad. All situations were very tolerable, and of course, the rural riding was delightful. Even tested against a strong crosswind while crossing over a shipping lane - not a problem. A little revy at freeway pace, but the engine was really smooth for a twin.

·
Registered
21 Posts
All back together.
20200226_164722.jpg

Cruise installed
20200226_164802.jpg

Put my road wheels in and rode her to work today. Mc Cruise works a treat :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
pissed of a Porsche Cayman driver that thought he could pull away from me in the twisties..
Porsche Caymans are not real sports cars! They're so easy to dominate. Their owners spend a lot of time being disappointed.

Not to take anything away from your accomplishment. :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I installed SW Motech Pro racks with the off-road restraint yesterday. @($^#^$(#) things didn't fit out of the box. I had to put the left side rack in the vise to twist the rack's forward mounting strut slightly so I could get the twist lock to align & engage the forward mount on the left side frame. This marred the powder coating of course. Grrr...

Also, the cross bar at the tail required drilling holes in the rear fender mud flap above, and nearly on top of, the existing holes for the license plate mount. This situation resulted in two sets of touching holes, figure 8-shaped, with the cross bar bolts passing through the top hole. Not the best situation from a structural loads perspective, especially considering the bar is tied into plastic. From a load-path perspective, these bolts merely hold the crossbar, license plate & its mount to the fender whenever the racks are removed. When the racks are installed and correctly aligned these holes should not see significant in-plane forces. I'm also using big washers to make sure the bar grabs a lot of the available plastic.

So fitment gets a 3 out of 5 stars. Finish gets 4 out of 5. The welds on these racks look like they were made by a junior-high-school metal shop student. The welds seem to be solid but they're not pretty to behold. Add the apparent jig issue noted above and one wonders about the level of QA SW Motech applies. Adding insult to injury, the SW Motech stickers applied to the rear strut of each rack were so randomly misaligned that I peeled them off and tossed them.

Despite these disappointments, the racks are solidly attached to the bike now. With the off-road restraint they become a semi-permanent part of the machine.

Today, we'll add Barkbuster hand guards and a switched USB port to the Eastern Beaver PC-8.

I'll UL some pix later today.

241 - 260 of 410 Posts