Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

321 - 340 of 394 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Finally got round to fitting my Rigid Industries Lights that I took off my 1000, whilst I was there I found my old 12v outlet so added that to the space in the fairing.
I have to say a lot of things have changed under the skin of the new Africa Twin. Some new cable routing and lots of blanked off plugs to add things. An believe it or not the removal of the fairing is so much easier, Im well pleased!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Looks great Zippys. I had one of those bike tents - likely different brand, but same design concept. The sun destroyed the UV-resistant canvas-like material (in my case that is) in no time. :(

·
Registered
206 Posts

Don't ya just love the Mean straight-on look of these Twins? By the way, may I ask how well the new little lights work? Are they spots or floods? Seeing more of the side views like curbs, sides of the roads etc.?
Scott

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
My ol' father said to me today that the main lights were extremely bright. I responded, "Thankfully enough."

Yes, the AT does have a good lookin' front end, and it can walk-the-talk.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Finally got round to fitting my Rigid Industries Lights that I took off my 1000, whilst I was there I found my old 12v outlet so added that to the space in the fairing.
I have to say a lot of things have changed under the skin of the new Africa Twin. Some new cable routing and lots of blanked off plugs to add things. An believe it or not the removal of the fairing is so much easier, Im well pleased!
View attachment 54439 View attachment 54440
Can you post some closeup pictures of how the lights are mounted to the inner fairing?

Thanks.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Looks great Zippys. I had one of those bike tents - likely different brand, but same design concept. The sun destroyed the UV-resistant canvas-like material (in my case that is) in no time. :(
yeah the elements do kill the cover in approx 2 years but the frame is still good 3 covers on. No garage here and not allowed a rigid structure (shed etc) so it'll have to do.

@FIRE UP I chose the flood option as the main beam is great as a light cannon, so as you say the floods illuminate the road edges down the dark unlit country lanes of the UK (especially winter)

@satx_tengu Ill take some pictures for you when it gets light but to give you an idea these Rigid Industry lights use the Go Pro Mount system so I have used some swivel mounts and then adhesive (3M VHB) the go pro mounts to the inside of the fairing so I don't have to drill and I can remove them when or if I need too.
I have posted a picture of them mounted to my CRF1000 as it was the same.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hey Zippy,
Very nice partner. I messed with Go Pro stuff quite a few years ago when I designed a Go Pro camera mount for the GL 1800 Goldwing and sold quite a few of them. But, it's been years since all that happened. So, does Ridged sell/give an adapter with their lights so a Go Pro mount can be used or, do they just manufacture their lights to couple up to an existing Go Pro mount? I do like the flood effects though. I took mine out for the first time last night and, yep, the lights are great, FOR STRAIGHT AHEAD. But, off to the sides, it's a dead cut off and not even a dribble of light to light up the sides. Might have to think about a couple of those. Thanks.
Scott

On edit:
Zippy, I cruised on over to the Ridged Industries website and I think I found your lights. They even say those models use the Go Pro mounting system. Not cheap but, as the old saying goes: "you get what you pay for". I might even have some old Go Pro mounts hanging around.
Scott

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hey Zippy,
Very nice partner. I messed with Go Pro stuff quite a few years ago when I designed a Go Pro camera mount for the GL 1800 Goldwing and sold quite a few of them. But, it's been years since all that happened. So, does Ridged sell/give an adapter with their lights so a Go Pro mount can be used or, do they just manufacture their lights to couple up to an existing Go Pro mount? I do like the flood effects though. I took mine out for the first time last night and, yep, the lights are great, FOR STRAIGHT AHEAD. But, off to the sides, it's a dead cut off and not even a dribble of light to light up the sides. Might have to think about a couple of those. Thanks.
Scott
The lights do come with rigid mount which you can drill into the fairing but also any go pro mount fits straight into the body when you take there's off.

Winter driving was so much more confident withe the floods, thats why I removed them from my previous bike as I didn't want to lose them.

I have posted a link to the UK lights but Im sure they are available in the US too (they also do white versions too).

Ignite lights

·
Registered
258 Posts
Sadly, those would be "five-fingered" in my region when parked alone for too long. :(
Don't forget they have to get close (or read our forum) to even know as they look properly mounted unless you get close.
Also although not rocket science, there is also a little white rubber bung (you can see it at he back of the light) which fits into the go pro mount and stops you squeezing the clasp.
like a mini deterrent for those who don't look properly, also don't forget they are still connected by the wires (which I cable tied in a few locations) ok, I know a massive yank will sort that but still....

·
Registered
144 Posts
Don't forget they have to get close (or read our forum) to even know as they look properly mounted unless you get close.
Also although not rocket science, there is also a little white rubber bung (you can see it at he back of the light) which fits into the go pro mount and stops you squeezing the clasp.
like a mini deterrent for those who don't look properly, also don't forget they are still connected by the wires (which I cable tied in a few locations) ok, I know a massive yank will sort that but still....
When discussing bike security on another forum a couple of years ago, one rider from Texas suggested using his method. Whenever he parks his bike in a questionable area he hangs an empty pistol holster from the handlebars. Claims he has never had anyone mess with his bike or anything on it. If you tried that in Canada you would find every police vehicle for 50 miles converging on your motorcycle and all the officers in the cars arguing who gets to lay the inevitable weapons offence charges against you after you were searched, cuffed and tossed in the back of someone's cruiser.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
When discussing bike security on another forum a couple of years ago, one rider from Texas suggested using his method. Whenever he parks his bike in a questionable area he hangs an empty pistol holster from the handlebars. Claims he has never had anyone mess with his bike or anything on it. If you tried that in Canada you would find every police vehicle for 50 miles converging on your motorcycle and all the officers in the cars arguing who gets to lay the inevitable weapons offence charges against you after you were searched, cuffed and tossed in the back of someone's cruiser.
:unsure: Sumthin' to try when I have too much time on my hands.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just ordered a Garmin Zumo XT, a Camel ADV windscreen brace, and a set of Cardo Packtalk Slim JBL headsets. Plan to install them next weekend. Other than waiting for my suspension stuff To come in, that should pretty much top off everything that I need.

·
Super Moderator
1,047 Posts
yeah the elements do kill the cover in approx 2 years but the frame is still good 3 covers on. No garage here and not allowed a rigid structure (shed etc) so it'll have to do.

@FIRE UP I chose the flood option as the main beam is great as a light cannon, so as you say the floods illuminate the road edges down the dark unlit country lanes of the UK (especially winter)

@satx_tengu Ill take some pictures for you when it gets light but to give you an idea these Rigid Industry lights use the Go Pro Mount system so I have used some swivel mounts and then adhesive (3M VHB) the go pro mounts to the inside of the fairing so I don't have to drill and I can remove them when or if I need too.
I have posted a picture of them mounted to my CRF1000 as it was the same.
View attachment 54488
View attachment 54487
My wife used the GoPro ... I think they were called Pro Mounts (?) when she mounted her Rigid lights. I don't think GoPro carries them anymore, but they were a solid metal bar mount. Nice, but not cheap.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,545 Posts
In Detroit that’s a two for one deal. Neither will be there when he gets back.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Just rode it. Today was a glorious day in So-ON along the north shore of Lake Ontario. The sunshine was strong and the riding temperature about 22C. The best day so far this year.

Everybody was out: Riders (lots and the full range of m/c's), vintage cars, cages, cyclists, joggers, runners, walkers, families. The lakeshore felt congested, but socially spaced along walkways. The AT got a strong dose of freeway spirit and urban crawl - both of which the DCT version absolutely did not complain.

It was bliss.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I took a little slow and easy, break in ride, down by the river. (always think of Neil Young but I didn't shoot my Baby!) Went a total of 68 miles and as always, GOD is in the details: 65 degrees, slight clouds and bright blue skies, Green fields with abundant crops growing, Turtle's sittin' on logs in the green rivers, Red tail Hawks everywhere and Beeve's contentedly grazing with their little Calves and best of all, hardly anyone on these beautiful rural country roads! Thank you LORD. 70 miles total on the bike.:)

321 - 340 of 394 Posts