Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
481 - 500 of 3,566 Posts
I added the Honda 12V accessory socket today. It was a whole bunch of fun.

Image of installed socket as turning point to re-assembly joy ...
View attachment 56433
Double Thumper,
I have the same job to do, got the socket in from Rugged Roads UK arrived last week, need to figure out panel removal, and get it done, Is there any good vids on the panel removal you found, or any tips you care to share.?

Cheers W

Double Thumper,
I have the same job to do, got the socket in from Rugged Roads UK arrived last week, need to figure out panel removal, and get it done, Is there any good vids on the panel removal you found, or any tips you care to share.?

Cheers W
There are, but I ultimately just ended up using the PDF file that is available with my part:

The Honda instructions were straight forward.

In terms of videos to watch, this one might be useful:

A personal suggestion:

As much as the online videos recommend, they can't emphasize strong enough: Be gentle pulling off the side fairings. The plastic nubbies on the backside are soft and crack/break very easily.

I don't ever recall motorcycle side covers being so frail in this regard. I can't help thinking that they are made these days as a source of replacement revenue for [Honda].

Thanks for the Info and heads up Double Thumper,
I have worked on an owned a lot of bikes, but everyone is different when it comes to pulling panels ect, currently looking to see if there is anything else I really need to fit/do under the panels and source stuff before getting into that job...
SW Motech centre stand due in 2 weeks, are you happy with yours.?
Looking at options for a rear bag/top case, something to put day ride stuff in, and got a few other bits arrived I need to fit up... Cheers W

Thanks for the Info and heads up Double Thumper,
I have worked on an owned a lot of bikes, but everyone is different when it comes to pulling panels ect, currently looking to see if there is anything else I really need to fit/do under the panels and source stuff before getting into that job...
SW Motech centre stand due in 2 weeks, are you happy with yours.?
Looking at options for a rear bag/top case, something to put day ride stuff in, and got a few other bits arrived I need to fit up... Cheers W
I am very happy with my SW Motech center stand - since Day 0. I use it all the time and it is possibly the best I have ever used - maybe tied with the NC750X center stand.

I use a generic ugly plastic "egg-style" 50L+ top box, reliable for everyday use. For extended trips, I tie down a roll-up waterproof duffel bag on the passenger seat. No panniers to trip over.

Have fun, and take care.

Did 300 miles round trip into the concrete jungle to the pacific coast highway. Cruised through Los Angeles and observed some of the damage from the protests/riots. I Was treated very poorly by the locals on the freeway while lane splitting. People trying to cut me off and what not. But thanks to my off road background I can thread a bike through the eye of a needle with no sweat lol the bark busters hit 3 mirrors but that's on them. The Africa twin handles the concrete jungle like a dream and i felt like I was riding on my own island amidst the chaos of Los Angeles. We made it back hime safe and sound, back to fresh air and happy trails. LA isn't too far away but it's like being on another planet. My next journey to the coast will be in a northern trajectory.

Installed a Tusk Kick Stand Foot.
$14 from Rocky Mountain MC
Tusk Billet Side Stand Foot
Fit is great, quality of machining, design and anodizing is excellent.

Also went for a short ride to try the Arai without the visor (less buffeting, but too much sun), then came back and did an oil change & service. Nice relaxing morning. :)

Got the panniers installed.
Happy with the fitment. Big one barely fits the Arai XD4 helmet. So I ended up using the other side for my jacket because it has armor in it.
Really like how there is no frame.

I contacted a rack mfg, and asked them to consider designing a rack using the same concept.
Explained that Honda sold 87,000 of these bikes '16-'19, and for the 90% of the time panniers weren't needed it would be nice not to have a metal rack hanging on the bike, like all the other mfgs force us into.
Just got a note back that it wasn't on their radar, but based on my input they will discuss at their next product design meeting.
Also let them know I would be happy to share my bike, and panniers if it would help them do the design.

Would love to have this setup, but with soft panniers for off-road adventures. :)
Really like how tight these fit to the bike.

Good presence without the water buffalo look.

From the front they are very low profile.

Installed this today ...

... and it kinda looks like this ...

It provides:
  • Battery voltage
  • USB voltage
  • USB current
An important take-away for Forum viewers is the squeeze it puts on the 12V socket rain cover. Something to keep in mind when going this route, versus say a dedicated dual USB readout instrument that is hard-wired into the dash.

BTW: That is a healthy lithium battery.

Installed this today ...
View attachment 56737

... and it kinda looks like this ...
View attachment 56739

It provides:
  • Battery voltage
  • USB voltage
  • USB current
An important take-away for Forum viewers is the squeeze it puts on the 12V socket rain cover. Something to keep in mind when going this route, versus say a dedicated dual USB readout instrument that is hard-wired into the dash.

BTW: That is a healthy lithium battery.
Looks good! The DMM function is very cool.
I need to do the same thing.
Last long ride, the phone died. I was using the navigation app. Thankfully I knew the area, but it lost the kml track to share with others.
USB port with 2A output would have kept it charged for the whole ride.

Looks good! The DMM function is very cool.
I need to do the same thing.
Last long ride, the phone died. I was using the navigation app. Thankfully I knew the area, but it lost the kml track to share with others.
USB port with 2A output would have kept it charged for the whole ride.
Thanks - and exactly. The Honda OEM socket is very good quality. The rain cap is very good quality too, and much better than the "knock-offs" I have seen so far. Since it is not uncommon for USB charger modules to just go "fizzzzthpt", replacement is easier this way versus replacing the hard-wired in-dash module. At least a new 12V module can be popped in from just about any store along your journey.

I got my Outback Motortek Combo Set 1 (skid plate/low bars) installed yesterday; 4 hours!
Got to install in a friend's well-equipped, awesome, air conditioned, home auto shop.

Ordered May 26, during their unexpected Honda AT deluge of orders, arrived here Aug 12.
Not bad considering the off-shore fabrication, and the virus frustrations that plagued every step of my bike purchase experience.

Thanks to all in this forum who recommended them, I believe they are the best as far as a minimalist setup. A couple of minor manufacturing flaws; one nut, one bolt, that needed a little fit finishing.

Now I can get back to the Low Speed Skills practice that led to my initial drop back in May.
Hoping the bars protect, and hold the bike up off the ground far enough that I can get under it!
I have not thrown it down in the front yard yet, I have a gig tonight, and am saving my back. :)

They blend in so well, it's hard to tell they are there.
(only allowed to UL one view)

481 - 500 of 3,566 Posts