Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
541 - 560 of 3,566 Posts
My crash put a nice size crack in my left cowl, and that side was pushed back about a quarter inch. I followed this thread on cowl removal and discovered what exactly was broken.

These two mounts were sheared off of the inner surface of the cowl.

Seems like a job for JB WELD unless anyone has a better idea. Maybe run it through the dishwasher first.

Here's the crack from the outside:

My SWEGOTECH Forkshield also broke, but I'll just trace it on a piece of kydex or aluminum and make a new one.

Time to invest in upper crash-bars, too :)

My crash put a nice size crack in my left cowl, and that side was pushed back about a quarter inch. I followed this thread on cowl removal and discovered what exactly was broken.

These two mounts were sheared off of the inner surface of the cowl.

View attachment 57439

Seems like a job for JB WELD unless anyone has a better idea. Maybe run it through the dishwasher first.

Here's the crack from the outside:

View attachment 57440

My SWEGOTECH Forkshield also broke, but I'll just trace it on a piece of kydex or aluminum and make a new one.

Time to invest in upper crash-bars, too :)
JB Weld or similar would come to my mind too. On the backside the effort would not show. The exterior crack only adds character to the bike.

I went with oem because the price was good. Plus I like they way they are designed to connect easily to the bike. I like being able to take them off quickly without leaving a frame behind. One thing I don’t like is that they open from the side but I’ll learn to live with it.

I went with oem because the price was good. Plus I like they way they are designed to connect easily to the bike. I like being able to take them off quickly without leaving a frame behind. One thing I don’t like is that they open from the side but I’ll learn to live with it.
If I ever go back to, ugh, ... panniers, ... I would choose the same. The last ones I had were [framed] Aprilia-branded Givi and they were fantastic (bulbous, but very good looking, practical and did not leak in water). They opened "sideways", but you get used to it very quickly. Example: Let it open out and rest on your knee or thigh and grab or put your stash.

The panniers on my previous bikes have always opened to the side. They were made by Givi and had elastic straps inside to help contain the contents. With top load cases it usually seems the item the rider is looking for is always at the bottom with everything above needing to be removed to get at it. For me, the side opening clamshell works best. I may install straps inside or buy the inner bags Honda has for these if the contents need to be restrained. Cost wise OEM was the best option. The narrow profile for OEM means the twin uses less floor space in the garage than my V-Strom with factory luggage. I certainly don’t miss luggage racking when working at the back of the bike.

Tubeless conversion done, got a set of TKC 80s mounted.

Monday my Outback Motortek Ultimate Protection Combo Max (black) should be here, and sometime this week my Camel ADV high fender kit. Got a white KTM short fender and white Acerbis fork guards to go with it. Hopefully soon my suspension will be done, then it’ll be ready for me to break it in ?

View attachment 53545
How does it work the conversion. Espetially i’m intrested on the front. I think the front rim does not have that safety bead on the rim so its not and MT rim. What is the lowest pressure u are using and would like to ask if its safe that way. I’m looking to convert mine too but i’ afraid a little bin about the from wheel. Wjen doing off road, mountain roads..etc i release the front wheel to like 1.3-1.5 bars. But not sure if thats safe with tge crf1000 rim. Curious wjat is your experience with this. Thank you sir :)

541 - 560 of 3,566 Posts