Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

581 - 600 of 612 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Being no tire expert, may I ask, if the tire runs LONGER, does that mean it's a harder compound? And if so, might that be not so good for plyability and traction? If it's not a harder compound and is of NORMAL plyability and texture, then I can see the reasoning for the price, if the mileage is increased on these tires.
Scott
Trade off is usually harder (or less-hard with more tread depth) = longer life whereas softer = better traction.
MOTOZ tyres and the Tractionator series are popular on the left coast of Canada. Good traction, lots of tread depth and reasonable life.

That said, we have shale rock FSRs where you can destroy a tyre in <1,000km where that same tyre on pavement and easy gravel FRSs will last you 7,000+km or more. A friend on 2016 AT who rides aggressively on pavement and easy gravel got 22Kkm out of Mitas E07 rear.

When you are sliding sideways in mud you wish you'd bought the knobbier knob. When you are half way to Alaska or Baja on pavement and your knob is bald you wish you'd bought the K60 with centre strip rubber. When it's a cold December rainy day or you are looking for traction on wet grass or mud you swear a blue streak at the K60 that was great all summer on dry pavement and dry gravel. Tractionators seem to give confidence to many riders in a lot of situations - and last quite a while. Mitas E07s do the same for other riders.

For me, I'm more concerned about traction on and off-road than how many km I can get out of a tyre. TKC80 or Mitas E10 lasts 12Kkm on the front. TKC80, Mitas E10, Mitas E07+ lasts 5-6Kkm on the rear.
At 32Kkm I'm on my 6th rear tyre...

·
Super Moderator
4,134 Posts
Heh, the tire manufacturer seems to almost suggest a knee draggin' tire with, " ... cranked all the way over".

·
Registered
316 Posts
Being no tire expert, may I ask, if the tire runs LONGER, does that mean it's a harder compound? And if so, might that be not so good for plyability and traction? If it's not a harder compound and is of NORMAL plyability and texture, then I can see the reasoning for the price, if the mileage is increased on these tires.
Scott
I run the same tire. I'm on my 3rd set. They do last a long time for some. Im getting about 8k but probably could stretch it out to 10k or so if I was trying to get home from a trip. My experience is they have grip everywhere. I think their longevity is more due to tread design and depth than actual hardness. (think heidenau k60) They do contain silica for wet grip as well....4ply nylon reinforced sidewalls. I've been so happy with these, I haven't been able to bring myself to try anything else.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Technically yesterday....
Rode 800+ miles to Key West and back.

This thing sips gas at slow steady! I filled up in Miami, rode 160 miles and still showed 300 miles DTE. You can see the fuel bars in the bottom right corner.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Technically yesterday....
Rode 800+ miles to Key West and back.

This thing sips gas at slow steady! I filled up in Miami, rode 160 miles and still showed 300 miles DTE. You can see the fuel bars in the bottom right corner.
800 miles IN ONE DAY! Wow, that's some serious mileage in one day. Yeah, I know, on the Goldwing forum, there's boys that boast the Iron Butt rides where they cover 2,500 miles in a weekend and in many cases, they plan it so their route covers 4 different states. Heck, I do 60 miles out and back and I gotta stand up for a large portion of it. 'Guess I'm just a wuss.
Scott

·
Super Moderator
4,134 Posts
For sure - 1000+ miles on a Gold Wing just ain't the same as on, say for example, a Yamaha RD400 sans the windshield, not that would make a difference.

·
Registered
494 Posts
For sure - 1000+ miles on a Gold Wing just ain't the same as on, say for example, a Yamaha RD400 sans the windshield, not that would make a difference.
Noooooow you're talking. I've owned THREE RD 400's and, I loved those bikes. Little pocket rockets. I loved the sound of them, especially bone stock. Never was a fan of making things noisier. Those are commanding prettttttty high prices now days, especially if their either in prime original condition or, restored.
Scott

·
Registered
81 Posts
800 miles IN ONE DAY! Wow, that's some serious mileage in one day. Yeah, I know, on the Goldwing forum, there's boys that boast the Iron Butt rides where they cover 2,500 miles in a weekend and in many cases, they plan it so their route covers 4 different states. Heck, I do 60 miles out and back and I gotta stand up for a large portion of it. 'Guess I'm just a wuss.
Scott
It was a thing to do. Just a bit of Iron Butt management. Gas on board and go. Killed the Sena at about the 12th hour. I'd been listening to an audio book to ease the droning flatness that is south Florida. I would vastly prefer better terrain and shorter distances. Hopefully you are in such environs.

·
Registered
494 Posts
It was a thing to do. Just a bit of Iron Butt management. Gas on board and go. Killed the Sena at about the 12th hour. I'd been listening to an audio book to ease the droning flatness that is south Florida. I would vastly prefer better terrain and shorter distances. Hopefully you are in such environs.
Not me Sir, I live in the DESERT of southwest AZ. pretty much FLAT riding around here. It' ain't 'till we go east for about 3 or so hours when we hit around Williams or Flagstaff where it get's considerably better in scenery and roads. But, it is what it is and I ride to get out and look around.
Scott

·
Super Moderator
4,134 Posts
Not me Sir, I live in the DESERT of southwest AZ. pretty much FLAT riding around here. It' ain't 'till we go east for about 3 or so hours when we hit around Williams or Flagstaff where it get's considerably better in scenery and roads. But, it is what it is and I ride to get out and look around.
Scott
Sedona area can get a little exciting? What about Superstitious Mountains, or maybe just west of Superior?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Sedona area can get a little exciting? What about Superstitious Mountains, or maybe just west of Superior?
Well yeah,
Sedona's a very scenic area but, on just about any given day, it is PHENOMENALLY CROWDED. Lots of traffic, in and out of it, in pretty much any direction that's available. And that means not-so-fun motorcycle riding when you're dodging bumpers and fenders of cager's that are not paying attention to their driving. I really can't comment on the Superstition Mtns as, I've never been there.

We're scheduled for a family reunion/camp trip that's coming up in about 2 weeks that will be based out of Lost Dutchman State Park. We'll be camping there for about a week. While the wife and I are supposed to be busy-bodying with the family clan, I'm gonna do my best to sneak out and A/T it all over that area, as much as possible, before I get in trouble with the boss. I'm thinking that I may get a chance to actually meet Beowulf while in that region since that's his general side of the state.
Scott

·
Super Moderator
4,134 Posts
Well yeah,
Sedona's a very scenic area but, on just about any given day, it is PHENOMENALLY CROWDED. Lots of traffic, in and out of it, in pretty much any direction that's available. And that means not-so-fun motorcycle riding when you're dodging bumpers and fenders of cager's that are not paying attention to their driving. I really can't comment on the Superstition Mtns as, I've never been there.

We're scheduled for a family reunion/camp trip that's coming up in about 2 weeks that will be based out of Lost Dutchman State Park. We'll be camping there for about a week. While the wife and I are supposed to be busy-bodying with the family clan, I'm gonna do my best to sneak out and A/T it all over that area, as much as possible, before I get in trouble with the boss. I'm thinking that I may get a chance to actually meet Beowulf while in that region since that's his general side of the state.
Scott
Be safe. There is a lot of bad happening out there.

·
Registered
96 Posts
At the beginning of the Covid shutdown, I did Oak Creek Canyon, down and up TWICE without seeing any other traffic. Now, it’s back to normal, stuck behind a rented Corolla, three vans and six RVs all afraid of falling off the edge.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I took mine down a dirt road for the first time. Front tire has to go !!!!!!
The stock front tire creates balls of your feet excitement.
Putting on a tire that is great off road, is like eating oatmeal. Yeah, it's good for your health, but not very exciting.
🍻

581 - 600 of 612 Posts