Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

801 - 820 of 834 Posts

·
Registered
2017 DCT
46 Posts
About 16 years now I have been buying tires and mounting tires and running them bald... and doing it all over again. In all that time, I can honestly say that I haven't encountered a faulty tire of bad manufacture. Sure, I was a part of the crowd that had to live with the early Shinko's that cracked on the edge of the treads, but that was about everyone's experience that put any weight and mileage on those tires.

A month ago I mounted a Kenda K270 on the front of the Africa Twin and it seemed OK from the get go and at 40-75 mph it seemed to perform great. The problem was.... at 15-40 mph I would get an up and down on the front end and on the bars that drove me nuts. I took the tire off twice and checked the balance and it was perfect. For the life of me, I couldn't solve the problem until this morning, when I ripped it off the rim and mounted a RMMATV Tusk Dual Sport Adv Tire. Instantly, the "hopping" of the front end was gone. The bike is now silk smooth.

Now, the Kenda K270 is by far.... NOT my favorite tire, but I have used it 4 times in the past 16 years with great success....

The only thing I can conclude is.... it is a bad tire. This one specific tire is a bad tire.

·
Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
177 Posts
Washed It...

Before...

And After...

Ride report coming to provide details about the mud.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Africa Twin DCT
85 Posts
I've been busy with the AT again! I installed my shorter RAM arm for my phone holder. I love the U-bracket too! It mounts to my Camel brace perfectly. I also picked up a TPMS system from Amazon as well. Works pretty good. It goes into sleep mode until it picks up vibration from the bike (or you tap on it). The TPMS system monitors tire temperature and pressure. I'm working on a RAM setup to place it on my Camel brace because I'm getting a new handlebar in the coming weeks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
@Jetblast: Do you leave your TPMS monitor on the handle bar when parked in a public area for extended amount of time?
I haven't ridden my bike since I installed it yesterday. It does come off real easily though. If I were to park somewhere, I would remove it along with my phone. The external TPMS sensors are secured to my bike via lock nuts. Majority of the time when I ride, I'm not getting off my bike even for a pit stop unless I need gas. If I'm on my bike, I'm constantly riding until I get home.

·
Registered
9 Posts
1. Modified and Installed National Cycle VStream windshield 0058. I didn't realize on ordering that the wings were colored black and covered the upper fairing which is red, white and blue on my bike... so, I chopped them off.

2. Installed full set of Altrider crash bars. Black in color.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm at it again! I installed my Garmin Zumo XT! I'm going to hardwire it later this evening when I'm off work.
Jetblast -
I'm behind you on accessorizing, but I'd be interested in knowing how you power your bling... just off the pre-wired connection in the fairing, or something more like the Beaver circuits?
CigarXO

·
Registered
85 Posts
Have mine still sitting in the box waiting.
Did the included Garmin mounting hardware mount up to the Camel Brace...???
It looks like thats what set-up you have...???
I'm not sure if the mounting hardware will work with the Camel brace. I'm actually using the RAM mount base for my phone and I just plugged my Garmin onto that. It does come with RAM mount hardware. The U bolt seems a bit big for a Camel brace so I'm not sure if it will fit. You can buy a RAM mount that will fit a 1/2" bar though. I have 2 of them installed on my Camel brace. One is for the Zumo and the other is for my TPMS.

Jetblast -
I'm behind you on accessorizing, but I'd be interested in knowing how you power your bling... just off the pre-wired connection in the fairing, or something more like the Beaver circuits?
CigarXO
I actually ran the Zumo power wire directly to the battery. There is a YouTube video where a dude attached the wire to an accessories connection right behind the headlight. You have to pull the fairings off and part of the plastic body from the front of the bike. I wasn't feeling that ambitious so I decided to run the power wire down my Camel brace, through the left fairing, and over to the battery. I had to remove my left fairing to make it work.

When it comes to my phone mounting, I reinstalled my Quad Lock on my handlebar for the time being. When my Fasst Co bar shows up, I'm going to install my RAM phone mount and remove the Quad Lock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have up going tubeless with stock wheels, with all the silicon and sealing tape in the world your going to be wondering when will you spring a leak and get stranded... After my second leak and a two lifts for the Africa i put born TUBELESS wheels... Best serious modification

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ok last mod post for a little while! My Giant Loop Pannier Pockets arrived today! I filled up one bag with all of my medical stuff and the other bag has some spare inner tubes. I figure if I land on the crash bar, the inner tubes can soften the blow. If I land on the medical stuff, then no big deal. I have nothing in that bag that can be broken. I do have medical tools but they are in the bag against the fairing.

·
Super Moderator
5,774 Posts
I have up going tubeless with stock wheels, with all the silicon and sealing tape in the world your going to be wondering when will you spring a leak and get stranded... After my second leak and a two lifts for the Africa i put born TUBELESS wheels... Best serious modification
Sweet. I like 'em.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes Sir John....what model TUBELESS wheels did you use...??
Those are nice...👍👍👍

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi

Finished intalling and road test of my homemade tool tube. 4 inch ABS pipe attached to the inside of my touratech rack with tool wrap/roll that goes inside. Used Honda’s steel cable for the helmet to lock the cap to the inside retainer of my case, just a deterrent for those too curious.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've been having occasionally "cuts" between shift's and for a while now and bike had some unusual behaviour usually between shifting gears although QS worked. Took down QS and in with reliable Manual. Got CEL on which I reset. If I counted correctly 10 slow and 7 fast blinks.
Will give it a try in repairing

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've been having occasionally "cuts" between shift's and for a while now and bike had some unusual behaviour usually between shifting gears although QS worked. Took down QS and in with reliable Manual. Got CEL on which I reset. If I counted correctly 10 slow and 7 fast blinks.
Will give it a try in repairing
If the wires broke where they enter the quickshifter and you get it fixed, reroute the wiring so it doesn't flex in that area. 1000 / 1100 use the same quickshifter only Honda update the wiring routing to stabilize the wiring to prevent the breakage.

Here's how I rerouted mine:
OEM quickshifter

801 - 820 of 834 Posts