Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Where has your Africa Twin Taken you?

861 - 880 of 904 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Got around some time together with my buddy as I had feeling thing's might go south with installation of Hepco lower engine guards. I have Arrow full Ti exhaust set up, and to install Hepco up it required a bit of cutting and grinding, plus I needed to replace one exust stud. Something which we plan to do in few late afternoon hours end up in early morning adventure, a really tight fit but it's up.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Africa Twin DCT
120 Posts
I'm excited for this upgrade! I am almost finished installing my Fasstco Flexx handlebar. It's so awesome. I can immediately feel the difference over the stock bar when I'm standing on the pegs while setting the position of my bar. My standing position feels way better for me when compared to the stock bar. I bought the 15 degree backsweep version which places me a bit more forward than the 19 degree backsweep stock bar. Plus I need the shock absorption due to joint and hand problems from military service. My bike has a more mountain bike feel now which will help me handle my AT on the dirt much better.

Just take note that if you decide to use their hand guards, they aren't entirely DCT friendly. I decided to bend the crap out of my DCT brake handle so it clears the hand guard. Plus I'm using the DCT brake adapter from the Barkbusters kit as well. You can mount your OEM or Barkbusters hand guards to the Flexx bar but it may not be a guaranteed fit. I believe you need a couple extra adapters from Fasstco to make them fit but I'm not entirely sure. Fasstco is aware that their hand guards aren't DCT friendly and they are working on new designs that will work better overall. They told me another DCT owner actually heated up the hand guard and reshaped it to accommodate for the brake handle. Personally I like my method better. I had no problem bending my parking brake handle to make the hand guards work :D

·
Registered
2017 AT Manual - touring / 2019 MT07 - daily / 2004 CBR600F4I - Track / 2005 TTR230 - Trail
89 Posts
I'm excited for this upgrade! I am almost finished installing my Fasstco Flexx handlebar. It's so awesome. I can immediately feel the difference over the stock bar when I'm standing on the pegs while setting the position of my bar. My standing position feels way better for me when compared to the stock bar. I bought the 15 degree backsweep version which places me a bit more forward than the 19 degree backsweep stock bar. Plus I need the shock absorption due to joint and hand problems from military service. My bike has a more mountain bike feel now which will help me handle my AT on the dirt much better.

Just take note that if you decide to use their hand guards, they aren't entirely DCT friendly. I decided to bend the crap out of my DCT brake handle so it clears the hand guard. Plus I'm using the DCT brake adapter from the Barkbusters kit as well. You can mount your OEM or Barkbusters hand guards to the Flexx bar but it may not be a guaranteed fit. I believe you need a couple extra adapters from Fasstco to make them fit but I'm not entirely sure. Fasstco is aware that their hand guards aren't DCT friendly and they are working on new designs that will work better overall. They told me another DCT owner actually heated up the hand guard and reshaped it to accommodate for the brake handle. Personally I like my method better. I had no problem bending my parking brake handle to make the hand guards work :D

View attachment 63633

View attachment 63634

View attachment 63635
That is a good looking upgrade! Only thing I'd change is make it gold to match the rest. 😁 Bet it dampens road vibrations really well too.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Africa Twin DCT
120 Posts
That is a good looking upgrade! Only thing I'd change is make it gold to match the rest. 😁 Bet it dampens road vibrations really well too.
What's neat is that Fasstco actually gives you additional rubber inserts to dial in your ride. If you spend most of your time on the road, you can swap out the inserts for the ones they recommend for road. You can also dial in the firmness by adjusting the nut that holds the inserts on the handlebar. I'm trying out their recommendation and start with 2 threads on the bolt with red/red inserts so I have more cushion on the dirt.

I still need to finish the installation on the right side. I am in the middle of tapping the handlebar so I can install the right side hand guard. I stripped my 11mm socket while working on the left side so I need to get another one. I really could use a tap kit so I might pay a visit to my local Harbor Freight to grab one for cheap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I decided to cut my windscreen down to be more sporty because I ordered a larger one than oem. Starting with cutting about 3" off the top and 1" of each side to match up with the body lines. Coming from a naked bike I am used to no windshield so I figured it wouldn't be too bad.

After cutting I decided I wanted it to be black so I brought it to my buddies house and he wrapped it with matte vinyl for me

Then for a final touch he printed a honda logo in bronze for me and it finished it up nicely

The windshield has more direct wind noise now but much better buffeting. I'm happy :)

·
Registered
2020 CRF1100 basic, manual
36 Posts
I ordered the Honda large shield for my 2020 basic which basically has no shield at all. But I felt the shield was too tall for me so I traced it to cardboard then taped the cardboard shield on and went for a ride. During the ride I kept stopping to cut an inch off. 2" off felt pretty good, 3" was also, but 4" off had wind right in my face. So I settled on cutting 2 1/2" off and it's perfect for me.

·
Registered
2017 AT Manual - touring / 2019 MT07 - daily / 2004 CBR600F4I - Track / 2005 TTR230 - Trail
89 Posts
Did a oil and filter change today. Then was going to go out and find a transportation museum for the picture challenge thread but instead decided to snap the skid plate mounting bolt in the mounting bracket and spent the afternoon drilling that out cuz you know that's wayyy more fun than actually riding in beautiful weather🤨... anyhow all done now 3 hours and 6 beers later. Guess I'll try again for that picture
20210530_131744.jpg
asap 🙂

·
Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
221 Posts
@OVSMOTO: Pictures of the snapped stud, and/or you cursing into your empty beer bottles - or it never happened. ;)
HAHAHA I love it. Picture, or it never happened!!!! I'll second that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
@OVSMOTO: Pictures of the snapped stud, and/or you cursing into your empty beer bottles - or it never happened. ;)
Hahahah of course, my mistake. Here you go guys @TheMKoi @DoubleThumper
I feel like the background story is also necessary then.
First off when I took the OM skid plate off to mount the engine guard, one bolt got a little stripped, so i had to dremel the sides off so I can get and adjustable wrench on it to remove it. This is the little butthead that caused the chain reaction...
20210511_182909.jpg

20210511_182923.jpg

So now upon reinstall after the oil change I used two different bolts to mount it back so i can use a wrench in the future instead of a Allen key style. The right side went in no problem... the left was the one that snapped. Which lead me to the day drinking fest that was yesterday lol.
This is the culprit,
20210531_082443.jpg

And the aftermath lol

20210531_082458.jpg

I think we can all agree the booze was totally justified 🤣
I didn't take pictures of the 5 drill bits that I broke in the process, so that may or may not have happened. But it totally did hahahaha

·
Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
221 Posts
Hahahah of course, my mistake. Here you go guys @TheMKoi @DoubleThumper
I feel like the background story is also necessary then.
First off when I took the OM skid plate off to mount the engine guard, one bolt got a little stripped, so i had to dremel the sides off so I can get and adjustable wrench on it to remove it. This is the little butthead that caused the chain reaction... View attachment 63710
View attachment 63712

So now upon reinstall after the oil change I used two different bolts to mount it back so i can use a wrench in the future instead of a Allen key style. The right side went in no problem... the left was the one that snapped. Which lead me to the day drinking fest that was yesterday lol.
This is the culprit, View attachment 63713
And the aftermath lol

View attachment 63714

I think we can all agree the booze was totally justified 🤣
I didn't take pictures of the 5 drill bits that I broke in the process, so that may or may not have happened. But it totally did hahahaha
What a nightmare!!! I have broken a few bolt off here and there, the worst one was the side cover bolt... I did my ft-lbs to N-M calculation wrong(it was 1:30AM and 🍺🥃🍹). There really is no feeling that compares to the instant release of the broken bolt. Just gross. Good on you for getting it sorted with not much drama and thanks for the pics. (y)

Reactions: OVSMOTO

·
Registered
CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
319 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
:ROFLMAO: good show!

Hopefully you have a bottle or can of sorrow in reserve, depending where your loyalty lies post Buds/Habs Game #7 tonight (unless, of course you live near Winnipeg).
Hahaha I always have some in stock. 😉

861 - 880 of 904 Posts