Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1101 - 1120 of 1262 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
And since Ol' Red was cooperative throughout the whole affair, I rewarded her with another piece of red bling, an anodized aluminum sprocket cover from MMG Parts in Japan.

View attachment 66650

A quick test ride saw no noise coming from the new chain. This was a definite improvement over the condition the old chain had gotten to.

So we're ready to go for the next 18,000 miles. Wish us luck!
@WeeWilly, nice job on the chain and sprocket install. Any chance you can measure your SW-Motech shift lever min and max length from the pivot? I have a Zeta shift lever on my bike but length is a bit short and so have to adjust to very high when wearing my offroad Tech 7 boots. The wider footpegs don't help in that regard either but looks like the SW-Motech shift lever may be longer overall.

Edit: Nevermind, found the dimensions on the SW-Motech site, imagine that.

OE 120mm

SW-Motech 93mm - 147mm

·
Registered
125 Posts
Must not be deprived of the ride.

It is worse than missing the morning's first cup-o-Joe (most of the time).
For Sure!
I was so happy about my fore sight to get those jumper cables. Almost knocked myself over patting my own back lol.

In reality, I never envisioned it this way. I would have bet cash that I would be coming to the rescue of some other rider in need

·
Registered
49 Posts
At 17,500 miles my ATAS was due for a new chain. Could have gone longer, but I could feel a few stiff links when I would clean it and feel them rolling over the front cog. I went with the same one WeeWilly did, but I had to go gold. Now the 89 and the 18 ATASs have the same chain. I have the same or similar MP tool as WeeWilly, but I really like the D.I.D tool best. Makes it super simple and it's small enough to throw in the tool bag on the bike. I keep an extra master link with it. The chain is filthy from the trail ride I did right after putting the chain on.
Font Automotive exterior Drink Rectangle Motor vehicle

Sleeve Jewellery Bicycle part Pattern Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
CRF1100 DCT
492 Posts
View attachment 66714
Installed some aux lights. Got them working after leaving the ignition off for a few minutes the bike found them.

bit of a mission to fit but got some Honda plugs which made wiring a bit easier.

seem pretty good for £30!
Do you have a link to the lights? I have seen some on Amazon for about that price but was wondering if they would be decent or just scrap.

Also any idea if the plugs are the same as the Aux power socket ones? or if not do you have a link to them?

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Looking good glad you got them sorted. Yes I had to turn the ignition off and on for the option of “fogs/Aux” lights being there once activated.

Installed some aux lights. Got them working after leaving the ignition off for a few minutes the bike found them.

bit of a mission to fit but got some Honda plugs which made wiring a bit easier.

seem pretty good for £30!

·
Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
406 Posts
Congratulations on completing the Honda "Break In" period!!! 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: TETSUHIRO

·
Premium Member
2018 Africatwin adventure sports. There is no special customization.
134 Posts
I will change the plugs for the third time to commemorate the 100,000 km mark.
Unless you are a big fan of things, it is better to leave the plug change to the dealer. 😁.

Spark plug Nail Metal Auto part Circuit component

·
Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
406 Posts
I will change the plugs for the third time to commemorate the 100,000 km mark.
Unless you are a big fan of things, it is better to leave the plug change to the dealer. 😁.

View attachment 67128
Hello @TETSUHIRO,

How many hours did the Spark plug replacement take? I am just curious. This is definitely a job I couldn't pay the dealership to do.

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
192 Posts
Got a 1/2 inch gash on the front tire sidewall at zero dark thirty...in the fog....12 miles from launch and heading out for a multi-state ride.....

So I spent several hours getting a new tire and then relatively quickly changed it where the bike had stopped. Fortunately, it was only at 50mph/80kph and the TPMS alerted me that we had a major issue The hard strike and deflect were clues also. I happened to be directly next to a closed service station by the time I stopped and with a lighted parking area, miracle of miracles. I never did find the culprit though.

Things could have been much worse....

In theory, I could have done this with the tools on hand, but since I had to get the new tire anyway, I also picked up better tools (including the torque wrenches) from the house.

...and yes I could have patched from the inside and limped home but decided err on the side of caution with new rubber. The tear/slash was far enough to the edge of the sidewall and big enough that it would have been sketchy at best to ride it repaired.

·
Registered
CRF1000L | Gold Wing DCT
324 Posts
New wheel bearings and seals. The back bearings were ones that were worn. The front bearings had no noticeable looseness.

Have new chain and sprockets on hand, but the 24k mile originals are still going strong. Had planned to replace them with the wheel bearings, but there's no need for now.

1101 - 1120 of 1262 Posts