Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1221 - 1233 of 1233 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ordered Outback Motortek low/mid crash bars, skid, and rear pannier rack. Now to wait 4-6 weeks for them to be built
I installed the Outback Ultimate Protection Combo MAX and Center Stand. Easy install and kept refering to the Outback install video. I think the key to sucess is leave some wiggle room on the clamps then go back and torque the down. Have dropped my AT twice (5-10 mph) and not a scratch on the paint.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Installed a TPMS. Nice wee unit from AliExpress. Internal battery, charged via micro USB, wakes up on vibration.

View attachment 68189
I am also thinking about buying this unit. I am Chinese so I have a lot of friends in China who use this exact unit. But I am worried about the balance of the wheel at high speed, have you tried running the bike at high speed with this unit yet?

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
I am also thinking about buying this unit. I am Chinese so I have a lot of friends in China who use this exact unit. But I am worried about the balance of the wheel at high speed, have you tried running the bike at high speed with this unit yet?
I believe the weight of the sensors are negligible relative to any imbalances (if any) in the wheel. That is, the sensors are very light including battery.

·
Premium Member
CRF1100 DCT
466 Posts
I made a new toy for my African friend.
Years ago I used to measure with a tape when aligning the wheel after tensioning the chain but the exhaust on the AT makes it awkward so I made up a sliding gadget. Adjust the chain side so the tension is correct, set the gadget between the pivot bolt and wheel bolt, lock in place then put it on the other side and then turn the adjuster until it measures the same.
Luggage and bags Bag Handbag Beige Khaki

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle brake

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Well boys and girls,
While I already have some soft panniers made by Tusk. The value of a soft pannier is at least, not easily damaged if the bike falls or you crash on a trail etc. And, you can sort of expand them if you're toting more or less while riding. But, a large pitfall that I don't care for is the lack of ease for opening and closing. Some maybe are easier than others. So, with all that being said, I've always wanted a hard set of panniers simply because, they open and close so easily. Well, I'm no adventurer and for sure don't need the latest and greatest of panniers for ultra traveling. '

So, I did what a few others have done in this case. I got CHEAP and procured three Harbor Freight black plastic cases, to be used for panniers. I got the part number 3800 which, is by far, not the largest versions but, they're not the smallest either. I just need to be able to carry some odds and ends, a small number of tools, my motojack, and some incidentals that I may pick up at the store now and then. When I purchased my soft Tusk soft panniers, I got a set of mount plates with them. But, in order to mount soft panniers, you need RACKS. So, I ordered some Tusk racks too. Well, I got a set of the same style mount plates with the racks too.

So, I used the first set of mount plates on the soft panniers and, I just finished installing the second set of mount plates on the Harbor Freight boxes. When all done, there's zero rattle at all. Those things are ultra tight. A lot, if not all commerically made hard panniers open from the top which, makes sense. But, obviously, mine will open sideways due to their design and the way I had to mount them. Just how I plan to load my various items, remains to be seen. I've got ideas and, will impliment them as things come along. For for now, take a look. Yep, they're cheap but, they're also pretty darn durable and, they're basically waterproof. Again, this idea or project is not new. I think I've seen it done more than a couple times on here.
Scott

Attachments

·
Premium Member
CRF1100 DCT
466 Posts
They actually look very nice and as nice as a lot of aftermarket panniers :)
Just wondering what the reason was that you mounted the side ones with the lid inwards?

1221 - 1233 of 1233 Posts