Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1561 - 1580 of 1608 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,109 Posts
Sumthin' I never do, but resembles what I think of baggage:

Put the tank bag down, readied the AT for an evening ride out, and put the helmet and gloves on, and took off in the direction of Toronto (Canada) and forgot the tank bag where I put it down.

At least the night ride was wonderful.

·
Registered
2018 ATAS DCT
62 Posts
Last night I installed a STIFFENING BRACKET FOR ORIGINAL HONDA CRF1000L AFRICA TWIN ADVENTURE SPORTS TANKGUARD (2018-2019)

I bought it from Stiffening bracket for original Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Adventure Sports tankguard (2018-2019)

Hopefully that will help with the involuntary rapid dismount that tends to bend the bars ;)

Also I waited 2 months for the Outback Motortek Crash Bars, just to be told to wait another 4 months ... DUCK that !

Composite material Auto part Metal Street light Event

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Bumper
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Have you considered a heat shield on the outside of the panel or on the muffler?
I have some HVAC tape waiting to go on the back of the pannier tomorrow, but the gap between the pannier and the exhaust is much better than before so I am confident it will not melt the plastic now, the gape will be extra insurance.

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
1,616 Posts
Just finished a month long job fitting a shelter deck to a fishing boat so instead of moving onto the next job I decided to do a wee job for myself.
I had previously made a keyring from aluminium but it was a bit noisy and would have ended up damaging the paint on the top clamp so today I picked up a scrap of 70mm dia acetal and made a new one, quite happy with the result although I should have turned the surface rather than using a facemill.

Brown Handwriting Wood Font Wood stain

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
1,616 Posts
Went to lower it with the link I made only to find I screwed it up :D Didn't have enough cut away so the bracket was fouling the link, oh well :D Could modify this one or could make another, we will see.
I did fit the one I bought off of ebay then went for a run to see how it was, felt more or less the same handling wise but the screen was now in my eyeline when in the high position so this afternoon I lowered the forks 11mm and I am just back from a 70 mile run of back roads and it felt very nice indeed, my wee stumpy legs can reach the ground easily now :D
Will have to chop the side stand a bit though so that will get done tomorrow.

·
Registered
2022 Africa Twin Manual. R380B.
390 Posts
Will have to chop the side stand a bit though so that will get done tomorrow.
Exactly the same here. Lowered rear shock and forks.
Now side stand is too long. Please document and post your solution, for me to copy your Terrific Work.
I have a workshop too, but not near well equipped like yours with laser cut machines, milling machines and the rest.
But I will see what I can do. Interested in the dimensions.
As Always, THANK YOU SR!. 👏 👏 👏

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
1,616 Posts
Ha ha no fancy tools required for this. I will just chop off the foot with the angle grinder, remove a section and then weld the foot back on. Not sure how much I need to remove so may be cautious and try 20mm at first. Only issue is it will look poor as I think it is powder coated so it will need redone at some point in the future.

·
Registered
Rally Red 2017 dct.
136 Posts
Ha ha no fancy tools required for this. I will just chop off the foot with the angle grinder, remove a section and then weld the foot back on. Not sure how much I need to remove so may be cautious and try 20mm at first. Only issue is it will look poor as I think it is powder coated so it will need redone at some point in the future.
Just an idea but rather than cut the stand first to get your preferred length could you not put the bike onto some plywood to get an idea of how much to cut off , could get the correct lean angle you require that way ?

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
1,616 Posts
That would be an option but I am fairly confident that 20mm would be enough.
First thing I will do however is see if I have any heavy wall tube at the workshop which could be suitable and if so I may just make a new stand, maybe even adjustable.

·
Super Moderator
9,109 Posts
That would be an option but I am fairly confident that 20mm would be enough.
First thing I will do however is see if I have any heavy wall tube at the workshop which could be suitable and if so I may just make a new stand, maybe even adjustable.
A custom adjustable sidestand for the beast should be interesting to follow.

I remember the adjustable sidestand on my childhood bicycle always collapsing. Those dang soft set screws.

1561 - 1580 of 1608 Posts