Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

What did you do to your Africa Twin today?

497K views 4K replies 400 participants last post by  DoubleThumper 
#1 ·
Share what you did today with the Africa Twin community!

Example: Met up with the Africa Twin group and went on a ride with the boys!

Example: Finally received the heated grips in the mail. I will be installing them tomorow, stay tuned for pictures.

Example: Took her out to play in the dirt for the first time...

Anything goes.... :grin2:

#813 ·
I have up going tubeless with stock wheels, with all the silicon and sealing tape in the world your going to be wondering when will you spring a leak and get stranded... After my second leak and a two lifts for the Africa i put born TUBELESS wheels... Best serious modification

Attachments

#814 ·
Ok last mod post for a little while! My Giant Loop Pannier Pockets arrived today! I filled up one bag with all of my medical stuff and the other bag has some spare inner tubes. I figure if I land on the crash bar, the inner tubes can soften the blow. If I land on the medical stuff, then no big deal. I have nothing in that bag that can be broken. I do have medical tools but they are in the bag against the fairing.

#818 ·
I've been having occasionally "cuts" between shift's and for a while now and bike had some unusual behaviour usually between shifting gears although QS worked. Took down QS and in with reliable Manual. Got CEL on which I reset. If I counted correctly 10 slow and 7 fast blinks.
Will give it a try in repairing

#820 ·
I've been having occasionally "cuts" between shift's and for a while now and bike had some unusual behaviour usually between shifting gears although QS worked. Took down QS and in with reliable Manual. Got CEL on which I reset. If I counted correctly 10 slow and 7 fast blinks.
Will give it a try in repairing
If the wires broke where they enter the quickshifter and you get it fixed, reroute the wiring so it doesn't flex in that area. 1000 / 1100 use the same quickshifter only Honda update the wiring routing to stabilize the wiring to prevent the breakage.

Here's how I rerouted mine:
OEM quickshifter

#822 ·
SW Motech stand fitted. A productive 20 minutes!
Looks great! Quick question. When the stand is stowed, does it touch your swingarm on the right side? The right foot actually rests on my swingarm when my bike is hanging out on the kickstand. When I roll my bike off the stand, it slaps my swingarm and I have a tiny nick on it now. I brought it up with SW Motech and they relayed it to Germany HQ and see what they want to do about it. This is on my CRF1000. I'm just curious if the 1100 has a similar problem.

#829 · (Edited)
Two very low cost yet satisfying mods.
  1. Painted the aluminum fairing panel that surrounds the Honda emblem flat black. I much prefer the blackout aesthetic. The change was made more pressing due to a drop of the bike that ended up marring the aluminum finish. Very happy with the result.
  2. Took 2.25 inches off the Adventure Sport windshield. At 5’8” count me among those ATAS riders annoyed by the fact the top of the wind screen slices perfectly across my preferred field of view. By removing 2.25 inches off the top, the screen is no longer a distraction and continues to keep the wind buffeting at bay. 2.25 inches of screen adjustment allow me to return the screen to its original position should I desire it on rainy days for more shielding.

#831 ·
Put dirt on the bike. Finally got off road and did a bit of trail riding today. Nothing crazy, ATV trails and the dreaded sand. I dislike deep sand. Was quite careful so no get offs. Very fun ride and surprising for the weight of this thing. Mostly hard pack, a couple trails with rocks ledges and loose rocks. Love the torque and steady power. Shinko 804/805 34 PSI worked well.

#836 ·
Let me start by saying I would love a full Ohlins set-up front and rear, but for some strange reason the wife doesn't see it as high as a priority as I do, especially with 2x kids in college. So....I installed my Hyperpro progressive fork springs on my 2018 ATAS (NOT +20mm, ATAS is tall already). After some tweaking of preload/dampening/rebound I have now ridden twisty road and moderate off-road and can report that for me this is a vast improvement over stock. I'm 6'2" / 190lbs and have modified the bike with Outback Motortek Crashbars, pannier rack and bags which has added weight to the bike. With the stock springs I would routinely bottom out the front end during moderate off-road riding and had excessive front-end dive under braking even with preload/rebound/dampening adjusted to the high side. The new springs are awesome...I have not bottomed the front under moderate off road, the front-end dive is gone, and the ride is well connected and smooth with the tweaking. Highly recommend for heavier riders and the performance far exceeds the price paid IMO. I had also previously swapped the rear spring for a K-Tech 95N spring. I had a buddy to help which was key and here is the link I used in conjunction with the shop manual to swap out the fork springs...helpful video from Adventure Garage in Norway: (1) Africa Twin Hyperpro fork spring replacement - YouTube I'm a USA guy so got my springs from their supplier here: Hyperpro Motorcycle Fork and Shock Springs - EPM (epmperf.com) Anyone thinking of a less expensive suspension upgrade, I hope this helps.

#837 ·
@pdwolfe OH man I spend the better part of my day talking myself out of buying those ohlins forks. I don't know how much longer I can hold out tho. Nice to hear other suspension options are working out. Just wondering if the anodizing prematurely wearing off the tubes is that big of a problem. But yeah $4g is a big spend on those forks. Decisions Decisions

#843 ·
It's still early but I aced two different picture contests this morning. One here, and one on another forum.

Found this dinosaur from an old gas station at a local automotive museum.

The next one took some doing. I had to get a picture of a uniformed officer on my bike. I found a Kansas State trooper that was up to the challenge.