Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sliver

"Sliver" for a smaller, slender and sharper motorcycle!>:)

(I might add that I come from a 2012 FLTRXSE that weighed in at around 850 pds - enjoying the loss of weight for sure!)

·
Registered
278 Posts
In another post just now, it occurs to me I used a mixed metaphor… I said “she” acts like a “stallion.”

That brings up an interesting question. I like naming my vehicles but most often refer to them as she—I think it has something to do with the way sailors talked about old sailing ships, almost always in the feminine.

However, even though they always referred to their ships as “she” or “her” they were often given male names: Nelson, St. Vincent, Royal William, Bismarck, etc.

So, while I’ll probably always refer to my bike as “she,” I’m actually thinking of a male name for her: I like Atlas. It seems so obvious to me. She’s already commonly referred to as the “ATAS” for Africa Twin Adventure Sports. All I'm doing is adding an “L.”

And the name Atlas seems appropriate; one of the Titans from Greek mythology, translates to “hard, enduring,” and has the maps association—ready to travel the world, and strong enough to hold it up?

Have you guys named your bikes? If so… what do you call her?

Thanks, Gary

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine is Ariana Grande.

When I was choosing which way to go it was between Ariana Grande, Katy Perry and Taylor Swift.

Katy Perry (BMW GSA) was huge worldwide, extremely well known and ridiculously expensive. Taylor Swift (KTM 1090 Adventure R) was perhaps a little less popular than Katy Perry but had a reputation for being flighty, and extremely high maintenance.

Ariana Grande (the Africa Twin) was smaller, cheaper, less temperamental, a little bit quirky, and in the end I just thought she'd be a little bit easier to live with on a daily basis. So Ariana it was.

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Temporary name is Big Sister as I also own a CRF450X who we have recently started calling Mona. The reason, Big Sister moved into the garage and Mona is on the patio under a cover out in the elements and we can hear her Moaning about the situation.

·
Registered
50 Posts
In another post just now, it occurs to me I used a mixed metaphor… I said “she” acts like a “stallion.”

That brings up an interesting question. I like naming my vehicles but most often refer to them as she—I think it has something to do with the way sailors talked about old sailing ships, almost always in the feminine.

However, even though they always referred to their ships as “she” or “her” they were often given male names: Nelson, St. Vincent, Royal William, Bismarck, etc.

So, while I’ll probably always refer to my bike as “she,” I’m actually thinking of a male name for her: I like Atlas. It seems so obvious to me. She’s already commonly referred to as the “ATAS” for Africa Twin Adventure Sports. All I'm doing is adding an “L.”

And the name Atlas seems appropriate; one of the Titans from Greek mythology, translates to “hard, enduring,” and has the maps association—ready to travel the world, and strong enough to hold it up?

Thanks, Gary
I showed a friend of mine a photo of the AT I was riding and she looked and said...oh an "Africa Twirl"...

Well..the logo does look like that...

Stuart

·
Registered
377 Posts

Thanks, Gary
Being a Greek, it is nice to see you chose a name from Greek Mythology for your bike; Atlas sure does fit this bike!

I also name all my bikes and use Greek Mythology names as well at least for the last 4 of them.

My first Varadero was named Poceidon, after the Greek god of Seas. The second Varadero was named Leviathan. The 3rd one, for some pecurial reason (maybe beacuse it was white? ) became a "she" ... so was named Aethra after an ancient Greek Nympf.

The ATAS is named Herakleia, the female of Hercules; obviously because "she" is so beautifull and so mighty!

:laugh::laugh: :smile2:

21 - 40 of 86 Posts