Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Because I found this post on adv forum and it's concerning...
(it was translated by a guy from advrider)

9 REASONS FOR AFRICA TWIN CRF 1000 MOTORCYCLE BETTER THAN AFRICA TWIN CRF 1100…!

1. ENGINE - Africa Twin CRF 1100 engine is disposable (I believe meaning non-reparable), the sleeves (probably talking about cylinder liners) of which are cast with a block, which is the cheapest "Chinese" solution for one of the most expensive motorcycles in its class !!!; (Africa Twin CRF 1000 - comes with a serviceable engine with steel sleeves and two repair sizes).

2. ALUMINUM SUB-FRAME - Africa Twin CRF 1100 is attached to the frame on 4 bolts - with a horizontal impact (side fall on a hard pannier) - it is guaranteed to break in half and you will not go anywhere, as Honda frankly says, imagine the price for this subframe is $ 1,200; (Africa Twin CRF 1000 - comes with a solid welded sub-frame of tubular type with vertical and horizontal rigidity - at any fall with the sub-frame nothing happens, and if something happens everything is easily solved by welding;

3. FRAME - Africa Twin CRF 1100 - is a disposable structure from which the manufacturer stole all the metal, and set himself the task to make sure that in case of any fall, the owner of the new Africa Twin CRF 1100 - just threw the motorcycle on scrap metal !!! This includes reducing the thickness of the metal of the steering column (twice), reducing the metal on the front bracket of the shank and what is just shocking to me - the complete lack of horizontal rigidity of the diagonals of the upper ridge of the half-duplex frame (Honda - you went crazy round-the-world trips ???).
(Africa Twin CRF 1000 - everything is very good with the frame, so good that there is no similar heavy tour enduro in the world with a full-fledged half-duplex cross-enduro frame).

4. Swing-arm - Africa Twin CRF 1100 - is a cheap **** welded from 5 separate parts in comparison with a solid cast swing-arm on Africa Twin CRF 1000;

5. Wheels - Africa Twin CRF 1100 - is a one-time good ****, which after the first serious hit will have to be thrown away and the motorcycle will not be able to go further, the price of the disc is 3000 US dollars, in addition, the outside rim (holding pard of the rim) is thinner than the BMW GS 1250 on the whole - 3 mm, Honda - well, you have become worse than those that in principle can not be made worse! However, you managed it Honda!

6. MULTIMEDIA - Africa Twin CRF 1100 is a dangerous device that the manufacturer must PROHIBIT immediately !!! I do not understand which of the engineers came up with the idea to make a motorcycle, where the multimedia and navigation system works only if you have a headset or headphones in your ears ??? In my opinion, riding a motorcycle with headphones is absolutely unacceptable and dangerous! It seems that your goal was to kill more people when making this motorcycle and it is not an impression, because the monitor does not light up until the driver presses the Enter button indicating that he takes responsibility for the fact that Honda made rubbish to which need to distract the driver (it's all under the guise of new technology) well, you're just out of your mind Honda…!

7. CHEAP MATERIAL - Africa Twin CRF 1100 - compared to the Africa Twin CRF 1000, the 2020 motorcycle has saved on everything from small things like rotating lights from the CRF 250 Rally to very serious design changes.

8. COOLING SYSTEM - Africa Twin CRF 1100 is designed to overload the engine to the maximum temperature! Honda increased piston stroke from 75.1 mm on Africa Twin CRF 1000 to 81.5 mm on Africa Twin CRF 1100 (WITHOUT DESIGNING CYLINDER UNIT AND WATER SHIRT), thus increasing the plane of the lower part of the sleeve (cylinder liner), which is beyond the bag increase by 1/10 of the share of cooling in the oil bath, because the lower recess of the sleeves made them inaccessible to the coolant! Well, here Honda did not stop, thinking what to do, even worse, that this **** just broke slipping in the swamp and did not come up with anything worse than just stupidly close the return air from the radiators, leaving only a hole for fans that almost never stop running unlike Africa Twin CRF 1000 - in which fans almost never turn on!

9. FASTENING SYSTEM Africa Twin CRF 1100 is designed by addicts who have saved on the most important parts of the motorcycle, it is a reduction in the diameter and size of the bolts of the upper, lower traverse (triple clamp), front wheel axle, engine mount, etc.! Everything is very cheap, unprofessional and irresponsible, unlike the Africa Twin CRF 1000.

As the owner of two motorcycles Africa Twin CRF 1000 and Africa Twin CRF 1100 Adventure Sports (the latter has already been sold) I can say that Africa Twin 2020 is a complete intrigue in a good wrapper priced at 20,000+ US dollars, whose client Honda sends nah ( ..y, giving this junk 1 (one) year warranty (in country of writer's origin) !!! In fact, Africa Twin 2020 is not worth 1/3 of the funds that Africa Twin CRF 1000 costs.

Honda, Africa Twin RD-07, CRF 1000 L - people were choosing for being the best in the world in the RELIABLE category, everyone knew that this is a machine that is always able to show itself and prove that it is better ..
At that point, Honda turned into a company that started making expensive, cheap, lonely ****!
I could only add far worse quality of welds on crf1100.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Africa Twin DCT
85 Posts
I'm sure all other manufacturers have their issues as well. There will never be the "perfect" bike out there to make everyone happy. I love my 1000 because it's simple and doesn't have a touchscreen. I know it sounds weird but I'm just not into the whole touchscreen thing for a motorcycle.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm sure all other manufacturers have their issues as well. There will never be the "perfect" bike out there to make everyone happy. I love my 1000 because it's simple and doesn't have a touchscreen. I know it sounds weird but I'm just not into the whole touchscreen thing for a motorcycle.
agree with this.

things like software updates & taking telephone calls etc. Not what got me into motorbikes 30 years ago. bikes have came a long way since then - a lot of good but a lot of not so good too 🤔

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I had one bad 1000 and one great 1000. I decided to hang on to my existing 2019 CRF1000F for 5 reasons
  1. I didn't want a Sport model (extra bulk, extra height and suspect white frame)
  2. I think they have made the suspension worse because it's longer
  3. They wanted £11k for me to trade up
  4. I didn't trust the new seat would be as comfortable as my existing one
  5. Madstad didn't (and don't) make a screen for the 1100
.... However I would have the new instrumentation in a flash. But the other plusses of the 1100 I have solved at a fraction of that 11k price differential. I put an MCC cruise system on for about £600. I put a Rapidbike Evo system on for about £400 and it feels pokier than the two 1100 demonstrators I rode. And it would have meant buying new luggage
Mike

·
Registered
2020 ATAS ES DCT and a few more
332 Posts
Madstad makes a screen for 1100 Adventure Sport. My bike was the one they used to prototype it. Far better than the factory screen.

Comparing the 2018 ATAS and the 2020 ATAS, the 2020 gives me far more enjoyment. I do like the idea of a replaceable subframe. If damaged the bike isn't a total write off like typically a bent frame could be. Comparing the two suspension setups, I like the 2020's better.

At the end of the day, as said above, no bike is perfect. My son is riding my 2018 and I swap back and forth at will. The 2020 definitely cooks me less with the heat on a hot day so don't know if the cooling system is an issue. Never had it overheat even stuck in traffic with temps in the shade of 99F. On the highway the outside temp gauge said it was 115F due to the heat on the tarmac.

I'll take the tubeless rims on the AT. Haven't bent one yet but I did have 5 flats on my 2018 with several at high speeds on the front tire. When that tube goes, it is pucker time when in a high speed turn and on the front.

No issues with Carplay. If you don't like it, don't use it. Easier to read than my Garmin and the display is in my line of sight. I can do pretty much all I need through the switches and the touch screen doesn't work when moving anyway so I don't see a safety issue there.

If I am going in such severe conditions that only the 1000 will survive over the 1100, I am likely on the wrong bike. I probably should have bought the KTM which is far superior to the Honda offroad anyway.

Every day I ride, I enjoy my 1100 far more than I ever did the 1000. If it is such an inferior product vis a vis the 1000, I'll cross that bridge whenever I actually get to it. So far I am a pretty happy rider. I ride it almost every day.

·
Super Moderator
5,774 Posts
I believe both instrument clusters for the 2018/19 and 202x ATs are hacks. Arguably the first generation cluster might be better from a human interface viewpoint. In all cases, Honda really could have done better and release a very cool and intuitive instrumentation interface. Not sure if they considered it, but maybe if the design work was done in California we could have had something really interesting. Anywho, I still like my AT.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've not actually had a look at a CRF1100 in the flesh. No idea about the rest of the world but here in the UK, bike sales have gone down the same route as cars...PCP. Many new owners basically rent/lease them for 2 or 3 years, then go and get a new one on the same basis. They're not too bothered about how well they'll stand the test of time...that's someone elses issue as they'll be in their next bike by then. Very much a disposable way of thinking...not good IMHO

·
Registered
2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
170 Posts
IDK, i personally would have no problem owning either one and would not worry for a second about the "perceived" differences in quality.

I just got my 2018 ATAS as a leftover last year. I thought about a 2020 as well but i decided i wanted the 2018 for one simple reason, $6000 buys a lot of accessories and gas. Has a 2018 not been available at such a discount i would be riding a 2020.

·
Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
177 Posts
I have to admit that when I bought my 2019 ATAS, I did compare it with the 2020 (I bought this past November). I will say that the steel subframe was one of the things I preferred over the aluminum one. I can weld steel tube myself or add reinforcements if it gets bent out of wack... I don't plan on bending it, but I do plan to keep this bike for a long time. I am fairly confident aluminum can be welded but I am not able to.

The less hp also appealed to me. I am super cheap, I associate it to less wear and tear on the engine (may or may not be true, it doesn't matter it is in my head already :ROFLMAO:)

The taller seat height was a huge bonus. Even though it is not much of a difference at 6'5" every fraction of an inch helps.

The less, albeit not by much, technology and sensors on the bike, for me, was a good thing. Less stuff that I can't fix on my own and less expensive items. I wonder what a CRF1100 screen goes for compared to the CRF1000?

I will admit I never once thought the CFR1100 was an inferior product, if anything I always viewed as superior, I was just attracted to the CRF1000 for what it was.

The viewpoint of the CFR1000 being superior really comes down to personal preference and your use of the machine. As others have said, there are much better suited offroad bikes and much better suited touring bikes... But the Africa twin can do it all!!!

What I really wanted was a KLR that had way more hp and torque.. I think I found it in my CRF1000LA2 (ATAS). It even has a flawed quirk like the doo hickey... the gas tank weld job!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have to admit that when I bought my 2019 ATAS, I did compare it with the 2020 (I bought this past November). I will say that the steel subframe was one of the things I preferred over the aluminum one. I can weld steel tube myself or add reinforcements if it get bent out of wack... I don't plan on bending it, but I do plan to keep this bike for a long time. I am fairly confident aluminum can be welded but I am not able to.

The less hp also appealed to me. I am super cheap, I associate it to les wear and tear on the engine (may or may not be true, it doesn't matter it is in my head already :ROFLMAO:)

The taller seat height was a huge bonus. Even though it is not much of a difference at 6'5" every fraction of an inch helps.

The less, albeit not by much, technology and sensors on the bike, for me, was a good thing. Less stuff that I can't fix on my own and less expensive items. I wonder what a CRF1100 screen goes for compared to the CRF1000?

I will admit I never once thought the CFR1100 was an inferior product, if anything I always viewed as superior, I was just attracted to the CRF1000 for what it was.

The viewpoint of the CFR1000 being superior really comes down to personal preference and your use of the machine. As others have said, there are much better suited offroad bikes and much better suited touring bikes... But the Africa twin can do it all!!!

What I really wanted was a KLR that had way more hp and torque.. I think I fount it in my CRF1000LA2 (ATAS). It even has a flawed quirk like the doo hickey... the gas tank weld job!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Since I also have a KLR I spend some time on that forum. When I read their complaints about power, lack of 6th gear, etc., I respond that I have one. It's called Africa Twin. It has more power, 6 gears, weighs a hundred pounds more and cost a lot more... I love both of them for what they do.

·
Registered
2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
170 Posts
Until more members start to display examples of the detriments and failure points alluded to on that list, I won't worry too much about it.
I wouldn't either. The one on the list that really kills me is the swingarm. The argument made that a swingarm made from welded extruded aluminum is somehow not as good as a cast aluminum invalidates the entire list for me. The welded one is every bit as strong if not stronger and is going to weigh less. Cast aluminum can and does crack when stressed and its very hard to weld and have it not re-crack. There is a reason why pretty much every motocross bike has a welded swingarm, they are light sand very strong. Just because it does not look as pretty does not mean its less functional or less quality.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yeah. Many many swingarms are welding and their strength isn't compromised. They even weld the swingarm on most of the sportbikes. WhAt wErR ThEy ThInKinG!?? /s

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There is a reason why pretty much every motocross bike has a welded swingarm, they are light sand very strong. Just because it does not look as pretty does not mean its less functional or less quality.
not true, I have 2 mx bikes by KTM and Sherco, nothing is welded on swing arm and these are hard enduro bikes...

·
Registered
609 Posts
I ride the absolute piss out of my overloaded (sometimes 2up) 1100 AS ES and bash the hell out of it at high speeds for large distances in challenging backcountry terrain including dozens of bone shaking pothole and rock hits, washouts, packed landslides, dizzying technical ascents and descents, water crossings, etc etc, then open it WFO for 800km empty highway days. It takes absolutely everything I give it and has room to spare. 22,000km and its still rock solid. Can't really ask for much more.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
On the other hand I was checking the new ATAS at the dealer today and wheels looks very nice, made by DID in Japan so not sure from where those complains come from.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Snap, exact same reason i got mine.👌

1 - 20 of 23 Posts