Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

In Israel the newer Africa Twins (2018) come with a little sticker on the handlebars, reading M+S not 160km/h.

The general assumption here was that the sticker says you can install a lower speed rated tire (less than the 210km/h H specified in the vehicle license), but then you'd need to restrict your speed to 160km/h.

But a quick search in Google learned me that M+S is not a speed rating, but rather a Mud+Snow rating?!?
Does that make any sense?

And if it's a Mud and Snow rating, why does that limit your speed? I see that the Scorpion Rally STR tires, I'm currently using have a M+S and also a V (240 km/h)speed rating...

Can someone please explain this?

And the bottom line is that me and other 2016-2017 owners want to install tires with lower than H speed rating on our bikes (as many of the more off-road oriented tires are), but the garages aren't happy to do it as it seems to be illegal. But for some reason, they are happy installing them on 2018 models, due to the little sticker.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
it means what you 1st thought it meant. Honda haven't assured this bike above the stated speed rating if M&S tyres are fitted.
If you wish to go faster and crash Honda aren't liable as they had a warning sticker stating the limit. Regardless of the fitted tyres speed rating. Corporate liability risk avoidance. I recall Yamaha had a similar speed rating limit for the S10 if fitted with their factory luggage.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts