Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this excellent bike in Oct. '18 and have been adjusting her to me. It is more than I had hoped for. So far 2 675 mile days and 3,500 total miles.
1. Pivot Pegs - changed to the lowered position
2. Givi wind screen - works
3. Mounted Zumo to windshield brace. Will wait to see if anything breaks
4. SWMotech center stand - life is good - 18" screwdriver made the spring install a non-issue
5. SWMotech off-road pannier rack - very stable
6. Nelson Riggs soft bags mounted to pannier rack
7. Received Motoz Tractionator GBS tires. Look awesome and great reviews
8. Started the 3M 4411 tape conversion to tubless - did rear last night but not mounted tire yet. I hope
it wasn't too easy
9. Camel Toe side stand due in this week.
10. 'O' ring throttle control works good enough

Reactions: jamnut and garyh

·
Registered
335 Posts
I bought this excellent bike in Oct. '18 and have been adjusting her to me. It is more than I had hoped for. So far 2 675 mile days and 3,500 total miles.
1. Pivot Pegs - changed to the lowered position
2. Givi wind screen - works
3. Mounted Zumo to windshield brace. Will wait to see if anything breaks
4. SWMotech center stand - life is good - 18" screwdriver made the spring install a non-issue
5. SWMotech off-road pannier rack - very stable
6. Nelson Riggs soft bags mounted to pannier rack
7. Received Motoz Tractionator GBS tires. Look awesome and great reviews
8. Started the 3M 4411 tape conversion to tubless - did rear last night but not mounted tire yet. I hope
it wasn't too easy
9. Camel Toe side stand due in this week.
10. 'O' ring throttle control works good enough
Nicely kitted out.
Did you use the 3m 5200 sealant too or just the tape? Any tips for the tape after having done it?
Thanks

·
Registered
284 Posts
You've been busy. Nice work.

Keep us posted on the tires.

Ride safe! Gary

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
VaraderoTwin I did the "2" tape only. Fits perfectly on the rear wheel. Once I mount the tire I will post what happens.

Reactions: VaraderoTwin

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
garyh
Sent you a pm.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the rear wheel seems to have done well. Wasn't hard at all. Doesn't lose air.
Now the front. I used the 2" tape only and then trimmed the excess off with a sharp knife. Mounted the tire and could not get it to seat. Tried everything i know and decided to take it off and do more trimming.
Remounted the tire and still no love. Pounded it, ratcheted it, bounced it, and still no love. It appears to me there is a problem with the tire. I marked the area that stays off the rim and that stays the same no matter where i move the tire. I took the mounted wheel to a tire store to have them use an air cannon on it but he didn't want to try it on such a small rim. Was afraid of damaging it. I did not try the either however.
I am going to see if Rocky Mtn ATV has a suggestion including shipping me another.
**If you get the Camel Toe side stand, watch his install video first. I broke the safty switch which is $53. With the DCT i don't see a reason for it but one is on order.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Well the rear wheel seems to have done well. Wasn't hard at all. Doesn't lose air.
Now the front. I used the 2" tape only and then trimmed the excess off with a sharp knife. Mounted the tire and could not get it to seat. Tried everything i know and decided to take it off and do more trimming.
Remounted the tire and still no love. Pounded it, ratcheted it, bounced it, and still no love. It appears to me there is a problem with the tire. I marked the area that stays off the rim and that stays the same no matter where i move the tire. I took the mounted wheel to a tire store to have them use an air cannon on it but he didn't want to try it on such a small rim. Was afraid of damaging it. I did not try the either however.
I am going to see if Rocky Mtn ATV has a suggestion including shipping me another.
**If you get the Camel Toe side stand, watch his install video first. I broke the safty switch which is $53. With the DCT i don't see a reason for it but one is on order.
What tire are you trying this with?
Sorry to hear it is not working well for you.
See this article https://adventure-motorcycling.com/2012/02/14/converting-spoked-rims-for-tubeless-tyres/

It's based on this and other posters on here that I've decided to go the hybrid route. Full tubeless using the 3m method on the back, where there is a safety bead.
On the front, I will still install the 3M sealant and tape but I will still use a tube in the front to seat the tire and keep it there. Then, I will use a rubber washer, sealant or sugru to lock the tube valve in place. The thinking behind this is you get best of both worlds. You have the tube in there to mount and keep the tire on the narrow rim, but you have the tubeless system to stop the tire from deflating in an instant if you pick up a nail. If you do get a puncture, you can plug the tire (before it deflates and unseats) and you should be able to ride long enough to get home and replace the tube.
(I think in some cases, like if the tube gets pinched and breaks open, you might not even notice that it is ruptured because the tire will still be sealed as long as the valve stem remains sealed).
So unless there is actually something wrong with your tire, just throw a tube in there and seal the stem and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
VaraderoTwin Motoz Tractionator GPS
A friend told me how to cure a non-seating tire. Take the old tube, insert it in the tire off the rim and over inflate it. Leave that for days, 2 or 3 days. When I inflated the tube it became obvious that in the 8" - 10" of the bead that was not seating there were 2 areas where it was pushed inward. Now including the expanded tube I have 2 quick clamps trying to level out those pushed inward areas.
I plan to try to get the tire on tomorrow. The rear is doing just fine.

·
Registered
335 Posts
VaraderoTwin Motoz Tractionator GPS
A friend told me how to cure a non-seating tire. Take the old tube, insert it in the tire off the rim and over inflate it. Leave that for days, 2 or 3 days. When I inflated the tube it became obvious that in the 8" - 10" of the bead that was not seating there were 2 areas where it was pushed inward. Now including the expanded tube I have 2 quick clamps trying to level out those pushed inward areas.
I plan to try to get the tire on tomorrow. The rear is doing just fine.
Hope that works for you and let us know.
But do see the warnings about running no tube on the front, especially with an off road tire that you might want to deflate a bit or will be hitting rocks etc. I guess once seated, the pressure will keep it sealed but keep an eye on it anyways. I just ordered the Spy tpms and I’m going to install it the moment I pick up the bike this Saturday!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Still doesn't seat. Will work thru Rocky Mtn to get a replacement. I was impressed how fast they were when i didn't respond to their warranty info request.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It looks like the tape only method works just fine. I can not see where there is any bleeding down of the air. On the narrow front using 2" i put down electrician tape and trimmed the wide 3m at it.
As for the evil tire i had RockyMtn send me a new one. That tire was on and bead set in about 10 min. I am waiting to here if the evil tire is going to be taken back by the mfg. under warranty.
"

·
Registered
335 Posts
It looks like the tape only method works just fine. I can not see where there is any bleeding down of the air. On the narrow front using 2" i put down electrician tape and trimmed the wide 3m at it.
As for the evil tire i had RockyMtn send me a new one. That tire was on and bead set in about 10 min. I am waiting to here if the evil tire is going to be taken back by the mfg. under warranty.
"
Good to hear it's worked out well for you.
Where did you get your valve stems from for the conversion? Since there are loads of types of metal tubeless stems out there, I'd be happy to see one that is proven to work well. Thanks

·
Registered
284 Posts
So you're sorted, Benton. Good news!

Keep us posted on how it goes over time.

Ride safe, Gary

Ps. Show us pics of your bike all set up!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
VaraderoTwin Sorry but not sure where I ordered the valve stems. I was ordering so many things from Zilla, Rocky Mtn and others I lost track from where. The 3M was off the internet and it said 3M 4411 2". I think you are better off cutting back the 2" than trying to put the 1" down straight.

garyh I will take some pics now that the GIVI XS320 tank bag and the Motoz GPSs are on. It's looking like I want it to look. All business.

·
Registered
335 Posts
VaraderoTwin Sorry but not sure where I ordered the valve stems. I was ordering so many things from Zilla, Rocky Mtn and others I lost track from where. The 3M was off the internet and it said 3M 4411 2". I think you are better off cutting back the 2" than trying to put the 1" down straight.

garyh I will take some pics now that the GIVI XS320 tank bag and the Motoz GPSs are on. It's looking like I want it to look. All business.
Thanks bblalock. Yes already got the 3m, I got the 4412 tape which is 2mm thick (instead of 1mm for the 4411), and 2 inches wide. Will trim for the front like you did using electrical tape. The outex kit is 51mm rear and 34mm front, so I will try to replicate that with the 3m.

Found some good valve stem options, main differences are some have rubber o rings on inside and outside of rim, some only on the inside and then just a washer on the outside, some have two washer on the inside and one on outside etc. The outex valve seems to have 1 inner 1 outer rubber, and then two nuts on the outside

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
VaraderoTwin My valve stems have an 'O' ring on the outside only. So, I put some Locktite glue around the 'O' ring and then some on the inside and squished it down with the nut. I have no leakage. Two 'O' rings sounds good though. I would still add some thick glue just for a backup.
Enjoy the TTs.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hey Benton, I never received your PM from 1/22 but have since sent you a couple, but no response. You getting PMs?

Just checking. We're beginning to talk about spring trips up here and wanted to see if you were interested in meeting up sometime. We're probably still a month or two out though.

Looking forward to seeing your bike all dolled up and esp. seeing how you like the new tires on the road. Gary

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
email sent.:nerd:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok I'm disappointed with the evil tire issue. If you have read this thread then you know what I mean by evil. Just got word from RockyMtn that the distributor of the tire will not warranty it. That after sending multi pics and descriptions. So I am stuck with a tire that will not seat the bead. My choices after shelving it and then when the good one needs replacing:
1. Put a tube in it and run it
2. Get out the can of ether and explode it on or blow it up
I did tell the Rocky rep I was disappointed by this. 3 days and Miss Evil would not set the bead. 10 min. with the Good One and I was ready to go, tubeless.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Put the Givi 320 tank bag on. I like the idea of it being off the paint and no straps. Looks good and plenty of room for stuff. Thought about carrying water bladder in it but i will go back to a strap-on one. Can carry 70 oz no problem. The only issue i have is when i stand it is pressing on the crotch. I just bend the knees, press forward and up and then it is fine. I like this bag so i will adjust instead of whining.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts