Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dears
There are many companies that manufacture Crash gaurd What is the best durability and look on the bike?
I need your recommendations.
Outobak
SW-MOTECH
AltRider
Givi

·
Registered
228 Posts
I picked up the Heed bars for my ATAS. Was a bit concerned as they are one-piece each side, but the fit perfectly without forcing anything. if you do go that route, you should pick up an 8mmx125mm with locknut and 10mmx125 mm with locknut for the bolts that go through the downtube in front of the engine. What Heed supplies is bolt stock with nuts on each end. No way to torque them. I will be replacing with a couple of Stainless bolts as described on the next oil change when I have the skid plate off.

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
Don't buy any guards that hook blackberry bushes, small shrubs and tall grass when you ride through them.
When the trail is grown over and you must bushwhack it really sucks to have the crash guard load up with blackberry vines and pull you down.
The vines, then tight from forward motion, prevent you from picking up your bike until you either cut them (kinda hard when they're UNDER the bike) or spin your bike around or drag it backwards to release the vine tension.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had SW-Motech bars and the worked in a few very slow speed tip overs (less than 5mph). Then I went down on a gravel road doing 10-15mph and split open the engine case. The Sw-Motech bars did not have protection for the case so I really can't blame them. I had been eyeing the Outback Motortek bars for a while so after I got the bike back from being repaired I put the Outback motortek crash bars, engine guards, and skid plate on. I also have the Upper Crash bars coming this week.

Needless to say the split open case let all the oil out ending my ride for the day.

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had SW-Motech bars and the worked in a few very slow speed tip overs (less than 5mph). Then I went down on a gravel road doing 10-15mph and split open the engine case. The Sw-Motech bars did not have protection for the case so I really can't blame them. I had been eyeing the Outback Motortek bars for a while so after I got the bike back from being repaired I put the Outback motortek crash bars, engine guards, and skid plate on. I also have the Upper Crash bars coming this week.

Needless to say the split open case let all the oil out ending my ride for the day.
Nate, that sucks! I have the bash plate/skid plate fitted to protect the engine cases as I know SW-Motech don't do lower bars. But I wanted a bash plate and thought if I got one good enough to protect the engine then it cuts out having lower crash bars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nate, that sucks! I have the bash plate/skid plate fitted to protect the engine cases as I know SW-Motech don't do lower bars. But I wanted a bash plate and thought if I got one good enough to protect the engine then it cuts out having lower crash bars.
Scorch,

From your picture it looks like the skid plate will cover the engine case. The pic only shows one side, but I assume it is similar on the other side too. Looks good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've got the AltRider Upper and Lower bars on mine. The lowers are super burly and the uppers are much more robust than the OEM light bars. I also went with the AltRider Skid Plate as well. Best of luck!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Scorch,

From your picture it looks like the skid plate will cover the engine case. The pic only shows one side, but I assume it is similar on the other side too. Looks good.
The right hand side is covered to a point. The engine case on that side is a little higher up and less exposed than the left hand side. Cheers Nate.

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
I love my Hepco & Becker Lower Engine Guards. Combined with the H&B Handguards and the H&B OEM upper Bar Bags (stuffed with soft rags), they worked perfectly well for me, doing some fun off-roading.

I wrote a long, rambling description with details on where we were, what the riding was like, the exact circumstances on a tip-over, a fall, and a long hard slide, etc. but decided just to keep it short and sweet. (For me, anyway, but still, I appear to have written a dissertation).

With this setup, the bike took a hard slide several yards long and came through none the worse for the wear. (Coming over a hill that turned and went back down: as I came over the rise I saw my brother, bike down, just on the other side, and I locked up the rear brake. Rear tire went right, bike went down and slid a few yards on its left side. Had I had anywhere to go, I think I might have saved it. But it was like Frick and Frack).

The engine guards took most of the weight and actually levered the bike more than I’d imagined, but the OEM uppers with the bar bag took nearly as much as the bike finished its slide and saved any damage to the fairing and tank. And the lowers and uppers w/ bags kept the front end up high enough that nothing else hit—the handguard (bars cocked to the right) made contact, but all else kept well clear of the ground. And the stuffed messenger bag I had strapped to the Touratech pannier rack kept the rear end off the ground. But it's pretty amazing, just how high the bike was propped up with the H&B lowers alone (even with the path slightly downhill on the downed side of the bike) —they jut out more than it appears; nice design.

Everything held up well and was still tight and solid after—H&B Lowers, Handguards, TT rack, and YES(!) even the OEM uppers—like nothing happened. (I checked just about every nut, bolt and screw as I cleaned her). Except for a small mark to the left fork fender (later touched up with a white paint pen), not a scratch to the paintwork or frame anywhere. Bar Bags are a must if you aren’t running proper uppers (hẹll, even if you are)—they provide a wide cushion (stuffed with rags) and protected the fairing and tank—if the upper bar flexed and hit the fairing, there is no evidence of it. I thought the OEM uppers might be a one-and-done deal, but after that hard slide, they appear, for all the world, to be completely unaltered. They are as tight after as they were before. I don’t pretend they’re as strong as most aftermarket uppers, but, combined with the lowers, they worked for me.

The first picture is the bike cleaned up after. You can see the bar bag got scratched up a bit in the slide but cleaned up pretty well, and the handguard still has some scratches before I finished touching it up. The lowers got scratched up too but have already had a first go-around with a paint pen by the time I took this photo (and after a few passes with sanding and paint pen you can hardly see anything anymore). And that rear bag on the bike (mounted on the Touratech pannier rack) was actually on the other side when I went down (but this shows basically how the bike was set up for my riding except I was using different bungee cords); the original oiled leather bag that was in its place got scratched up a bit in the slide but rubbed out just fine. (And hey, better that than my brand-new pretty panniers)!

The 2nd picture is the bike after my winter storage detail cleaning, this time with toothbrush and pick to get to every nook and cranny. (I love cleaning this bike—could spend all day and not get bored). The left Lower and the Handguard have both been completely touched up with a Black Sharpie Paint pen and if you didn’t know she’d gone over hard, you’d probably never see it).

The H&B lowers and handguards are solid as hẹll, and the H&B Bar Bags do a pretty good job mounted on the OEM uppers. For now, they’re working for me. And I like that I can take the bags off and the bike looks nearly stock. One barely notices the H&B Lowers or the Handguards even. That look! ...The bike I fell in love with from day one. And I laid her down dạmned hard, but she still looks brand spanking new. Dear Hepco & Becker… Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
The 2nd picture is the bike after my winter storage detail cleaning, this time with toothbrush and pick to get to every nook and cranny. (I love cleaning this bike—could spend all day and not get bored)..

I thought I was the only person to take a toothbrush to a bike! It's therapeutic isn't it? :grin2:

·
Registered
278 Posts
I thought I was the only person to take a toothbrush to a bike! It's therapeutic isn't it? :grin2:
Yes!

Ps. Here is another pic of the H&B lowers--from behind, giving a better indication of just how far they jut out. This picture is actually taken from just off to the right so (as with so many pictures I take of my bike) it doesn't quite show the angles quite right. E.g., the left bar actually extends out just a bit more than the right side but it looks the opposite in this pic. And the lowers are actually wider than the OEM uppers, overall, by nearly 2 inches (at the bottom of the uppers). But from the side, they blend so well one can't see just how wide they are. I love these things.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dears
There are many companies that manufacture Crash gaurd What is the best durability and look on the bike?
I need your recommendations.
Outobak
SW-MOTECH
AltRider
Givi
I just removed the (inadequate) SW-Motech lowers to install a full set of AltRider. There is no comparison, the AR is a superior product.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts