Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Engine Rattle

It's been present for a long time but I always assumed that it was my keychain rattling from vibrations. I removed everything from my keychain only leaving the key and it still rattles.

I've since Google'd more and people said its coming from the clutch? I parked the bike and revved it and it definitely is coming from the motor area. Only happens when the bike is in gear and given some throttle.

Thoughts? Anyone else have this noise?

Sorry for the video in the sky but its a modular helmet and wanted to get the mic nearest to the bike as possible.

https://youtu.be/K2tmvNkQKZg

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sorry for the video in the sky but its a modular helmet and wanted to get the mic nearest to the bike as possible.
You shouldn't have told about the modular helmet. People might have thought you were pulling a **** of a long wheelie :smile2:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Good advice about the cam chain tensioner, though I suspect if the tensioner were the problem you'd likely hear it all the time, not just when the engine is under a load ("only happens when the bike is in gear and given some throttle"). I would start easier: sounds to me like it could be a loose exhaust pipe heat shield (the chrome one). The rear is bolted to a lug in the pipe itself, the front is held on with a clamp. The secondary heat shield is also removeable (the part that keeps you from melting your right boot heel), so check that too. Could be one or both are loose. Easy check: when it makes that noise put your left foot against either heat shield and see if the noise goes away. Also check all you exhaust bolts for tightness, and make sure no added accessories are touching the pipe anywhere. I hope it turns out to be that simple, best of luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Are you running a bash plate? I had something similar on my XR600 and it was a stone caught in between the plate and the engine. It would only make a rattling noise at certain RPM. Just a thought!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you hear this noise coming from within the engine?

if yes, check your cam chain tentioners.
I hear it when I'm sitting on the bike and riding, sounds like its coming from the ignition area which is why I thought it was a key rattle but upon doing more investigating I realized that it would be have to be a REALLY LOUD key rattle.

When I parked and put my head near the side of the bike (motor) I can definitely hear that its coming from there. Can it be the tentioners already? Bike has 3400 miles on it and is a year old now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good advice about the cam chain tensioner, though I suspect if the tensioner were the problem you'd likely hear it all the time, not just when the engine is under a load ("only happens when the bike is in gear and given some throttle"). I would start easier: sounds to me like it could be a loose exhaust pipe heat shield (the chrome one). The rear is bolted to a lug in the pipe itself, the front is held on with a clamp. The secondary heat shield is also removeable (the part that keeps you from melting your right boot heel), so check that too. Could be one or both are loose. Easy check: when it makes that noise put your left foot against either heat shield and see if the noise goes away. Also check all you exhaust bolts for tightness, and make sure no added accessories are touching the pipe anywhere. I hope it turns out to be that simple, best of luck!
I'll do an inspection of the exhaust, I do have a Yoshi exhaust now. The noise though definitely seems to be coming from the motor area.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I hear it when I'm sitting on the bike and riding, sounds like its coming from the ignition area which is why I thought it was a key rattle but upon doing more investigating I realized that it would be have to be a REALLY LOUD key rattle.

When I parked and put my head near the side of the bike (motor) I can definitely hear that its coming from there. Can it be the tentioners already? Bike has 3400 miles on it and is a year old now.
If it would be the tentioners, it would be definitely a defect component not a normal ware. It had happened to a friend's Varadero. It is rare but I guess it could happen

However, please consider seriously to get the bike to a certified mechanic. A noise of this type from within the motor is definitely not a good thing.

I really hope eventually it will be some loose component outside the motor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it would be the tentioners, it would be definitely a defect component not a normal ware. It had happened to a friend's Varadero. It is rare but I guess it could happen

However, please consider seriously to get the bike to a certified mechanic. A noise of this type from within the motor is definitely not a good thing.

I really hope eventually it will be some loose component outside the motor.
Doing more digging I discovered more videos on YouTube of other AT owners with the same noise saying it was the clutch basket.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Doing more digging I discovered more videos on YouTube of other AT owners with the same noise saying it was the clutch basket.
Usually the clutch basket makes a rattling noise (if loose or tolerances are increased) when in neutral. This noise dissapears when either the clutch is pulled or a gear is engaged. At least this is my experience. I have never heard a clutch basket making such a noise during acceleration. It may be the case, it is just that I never had such an experience.

Still, I would not rely on internet testimonials....many times are misleading, simply because even a video cannot safely record the noise you really hear.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I'd take off the bash plate and look for debris under the motor and trapped in there. I bet there is a loose pebble or dirt in there.

Any crashbars on your bike? Loose bolt or attachment point?

·
Registered
28 Posts
As others have said - it doesn't sound like a tensioner. A tensioner would make the noise at all rpms. It also doesn't sound like it is coming from the engine. It sounds like something on the bike is loose and rattling (like a heat shield or bash plate). It seems to make the noise more at certain rpms and loads on the engine that would correspond with vibration. Make sure everything is tight.

·
Registered
50 Posts
As others have said - it doesn't sound like a tensioner. A tensioner would make the noise at all rpms. It also doesn't sound like it is coming from the engine. It sounds like something on the bike is loose and rattling (like a heat shield or bash plate). It seems to make the noise more at certain rpms and loads on the engine that would correspond with vibration. Make sure everything is tight.
3400 miles and a year...it will.be under warranty surely. I'd have thought the right thing is have your dealer check over.it. it may be something, it may be nothing but an experienced Honda mechanic actually looking, riding, listening is surely the way to go.

Personally I'd watch the YouTube videos but make your own mind up. It's your bike.

Under warranty = dealer = someone who works on these bikes day in and day out..

Look forward to hearing the findings?

Regards

Stuart

·
Registered
61 Posts
Are you running a bash plate? I had something similar on my XR600 and it was a stone caught in between the plate and the engine. It would only make a rattling noise at certain RPM. Just a thought!

This might be the most probable cause. I had a "ringing" noise at certain RPMs and only when hot, I thought it was loose bolt/nut somewhere on the engine. Found couple of rock chips on the bash plate when changing oil, that was it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I also have a rattling noise. It feels like it is coming from the back either from under the pillion seat or the top box. I checked the top box and the plate it’s all tight. It is very annoying sounds like loose nuts somewhere.. i checked the suggestions above and none of them seems to work. :(
Any other idea?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts