Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Where has your Africa Twin Taken you?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Can any one point me in the right direction what pipe to get? there are so many, noise Vs power Vs cost Vs quality.

please Help.

Will.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi Can any one point me in the right direction what pipe to get? there are so many, noise Vs power Vs cost Vs quality.

please Help.

Will.
Hi SRR, try looking around the site there are many topics on this, one that comes to mind is " New Arrow Exhaust "
At the end of the day you will probably get 10 replies with 10 different suggestions. I use an ARROW muffler myself and will soon be getting the Arrow Headers.
Noise is acceptable as they are Homologated/Legal for Australia. (Removable Baffle)
Power increase is there more so with added BMC fabric washable A/Filters.
Cost is roughly Muffler $600 Headers $900.
Quality is good Italian made.
There are many combinations to choose from, see their web site.
http://www.arrow.it/en/assembled/1450
Happy hunting/shopping. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi riders,

has anyone make an installation of full exhaust Arrow maxi racetech aluminium 72621AO+72129PD.

If there should be some Dyno tuning? Fuel consumption? Difference regarding weight is known :)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
480 Posts

please Help.

Will.
Yeh, just keep the original, any power gains will be marginal and you will hardly notice any change in weight. The only thing you will get out of it is a different exhaust note which might be nice although I think the stock is good already. And, you are hopefully helping with reductions in air polutant by leaving the CAT on. You can tell I'm the wrond side of 50 can't you?

·
Registered
38 Posts
It may just be me, but so far I've never noticed true power differences on any bike I've had. (4 stroke)

I admit I just changed my exhaust because of the look and sound....

I have an Arrow, with a nice sound, and I also heard a Leo Vince, practically the same as mine.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I agree, there is no real difference in power nor torque to experience. I had an MIVV on my super Tenere, and now for the A-twin, i've chosen an SC-project. Only the muffler. Great sound, very well build and really affordable compared to the Akrapovic's etc...

·
Registered
480 Posts
Full Termignoni (example):

Power + 4.08 hp at 7.570 rpm + 4.2%
Torque + 5,28 Nm at 3.000 rpm + 5.3%
Weight - 3kg
4 HP at 7k revs, on the road in normal motoring you will not notice this, what is the gain at a more normal rev range around 3,4 or 5k, 1hp, 1.5? A really poor return for the outlay of a full Termi. 3Kg weight saving, pretty inconsequential in the big scheme of this on a bike like the AT, this is not a GP racer. Weight of bike, rider, luggage gear, crash bars, you will never notice the 3kg, ever. Maybe you might feel a little extra torque on those figures but at what price? If stock was 5Nn better than quoted would you still be unsatisfied? I could've tempted into an end can for the sound but that would be it. I am an opioniated **** I know!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Most quality aftermarket exhausts will give an increase in performance but different designs will change power Delivery. Such as longer headers and slightly less flow will bias the Delivery towards low end/mid torque. Shorter headers and more flow tends to increse top end power and promote quicker revs. The other thing is that many will use a full system and not change fuelling. This will limit the increase of power And could be detrimental to engine reliability by causing your engine to run excessively lean. There was a post in another thread about crackling and popping on deceleration this is a sure sign of an excessively lean mixture. In my opinion DONT create more flow (ie. exhausts or air filters) without looking into changing your engine map to increase fuel as well.

Reactions: erey

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you live in the land of OZ, then you absolutely can't go past a Barrett muffler. I have had them fitted on other bikes and they are a very well engineered muffler. I can't see any benefits in changing to a full exhaust system for the extra costs involved. The guy at Barrett exhaust, actually has an AT, so you know the muffler is going to both fit well and sound awsome. Mine has been fitted for a month now and it has preformed very well. It certainly does take weight off the bike, and definitely looks awsome (check out their web site). I personally think the original muffler sounds ok, but is extremly bulky and - behemoth in size! I have the tri colour and I went for a black muffler to get rid of the stainless/chrome look.

·
Registered
163 Posts
If you live in the land of OZ, then you absolutely can't go past a Barrett muffler. I have had them fitted on other bikes and they are a very well engineered muffler. I can't see any benefits in changing to a full exhaust system for the extra costs involved. The guy at Barrett exhaust, actually has an AT, so you know the muffler is going to both fit well and sound awsome. Mine has been fitted for a month now and it has preformed very well. It certainly does take weight off the bike, and definitely looks awsome (check out their web site). I personally think the original muffler sounds ok, but is extremly bulky and - behemoth in size! I have the tri colour and I went for a black muffler to get rid of the stainless/chrome look.
Second the Barrett I installed one on both of my CRFs (250x & 450x) great sound light and tough with all replacement parts kept in stock I cartwheeled my 450 through the trees at about 50kph and all that happened was a bent muffler entry $150 and they had the part shipped to me with fresh packing and was just like brand new.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree, the standard one sounds realy good and I doubt that there would be any power increase. Had a staintune put on my dominator and the before and after power out put was not noticable. This was on a dyno with the baffle removed, so it looks like the honda people realy do know what they are doing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
"If you live in the land of OZ, then you absolutely can't go past a Barrett muffler. I have had them fitted on other bikes and they are a very well engineered muffler. I can't see any benefits in changing to a full exhaust system for the extra costs involved. The guy at Barrett exhaust, actually has an AT, so you know the muffler is going to both fit well and sound awsome. Mine has been fitted for a month now and it has preformed very well. It certainly does take weight off the bike, and definitely looks awsome (check out their web site). I personally think the original muffler sounds ok, but is extremly bulky and - behemoth in size! I have the tri colour and I went for a black muffler to get rid of the stainless/chrome look."

Sounds like a great combination, do you have any photos you can share?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I mounted a muffler from SC-Projects. Good sound, a bit rough, but no too loud. No idea about changes in end-power or torque, at least it is not noticable to me...

·
Registered
86 Posts
If I had the extra cash, I would definitely purchase the Arrow exhaust (full system). I believe that the product is extremly well made and there is some added difference to performance with the full exhaust. However, if you are like me and already spent way too much on extras (not sure what that amounts to), look at the Barrett muffler. I have used them on other bikes and they are a good quality product, made in Aust and very well priced. Wings also makes a muffler for the AT, and I have also used them on other bikes - great product.

My advice would be to get onto the web and do some checking on reviews. Another reason I like the Barrett exhaust is because I don't like the stainless mufflers - mine is black, and has a great tone - not too loud but loud enough to maintain a note of riding pleasure.

Happy riding!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Barrett Slip On

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts