Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies for newbie questions, but I am a newbie

I will be trading in my Honda Crosstourer in September for an AT AS

So do I need front fender extender, rear hugger and a duck tail?

Do I need any engine covers or lower engine bars

I would like to use it for some adventures so some physical protection as well as use on the wet dirty roads to keep the muck off

All thoughts welcome for all year use will be appreciated

Thanks

Red

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi there, I’m pretty new to bike you’re getting and hope this helps. Fender extender a big plus to keep most of much off front of engine and headers. I reomoved the light bars that come as standard and fitted full set of Heed bars. Really good quality and value and protect top of bike and engine etc when off roading

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

I was not planning in replacing the origianl upper crash bars, just asking if some use some lowere crash bars

Also about the other protection items too that folks are using

·
Registered
247 Posts
Red: The upper crash bars are not crash bars, but light bars per even Honda's description. I use the Heed bars, and am delighted with them, but a young man (I am 70 this year, so everyone is young) that was in Adventure rider training with me a few weeks ago on an ATAS complained that his factory crash bars were just flexing into his Tupperware and scuffing it. That is because they are rubber mounted! I might add that the stock ATAS skid-plate flexed into his case on the left side and cracked it to the extent he was dripping oil. I took the latter as fair warning and have a SW Motech bash plate in my shop waiting to be mounted. What you need depends on where you are riding, but I would not count on those bars anymore than I would the worthless wind-guards that they sell on the bike as an excuse for hand-guards.

·
Registered
284 Posts
You'll find lots of strong opinions on these specific questions with some quick searching on the forums.

Personally, I'd say, if you are planning on any sort of off-roading, engine protection is a must - and better handlebar protection. If you plan on going even a bit hard, upper crash bars are a good idea - a full set, uppers and lowers, etc. Same applies to upgrading the skid-plate.

I have a 2018 ATAS with:

Hepco & Becker lower engine guards; H&B handlebar protection; H&B bar bags for the OEM bars; and Touratech Rack and Panniers.

For me, it's a good compromise between protection and looks. For around town riding, I can take the bar bags and the boxes off and the bike still looks near stock. (And I *love* the bike's stock look).

But my trail/ dirt riding is on the gentle side. I like going slow and easy with the occasional dash or challenge. If I go down (and I have) the lowers, handlebar protection, rear rack and bar bags keep the bike relatively safe from serious damage. But it's not perfect and I'm the first to admit it. If I was going to bang it a lot on the dirt, I'd move up to a full set of uppers/ lowers.

It's true that that OEM bars are not true crash bars. But I think they get a bit more flack than deserved. They aren't useless, esp. with stuffed bar bags to help cushion the fall and H&B has recently come out with a new support strut designed to make those OEM bars a bit stiffer and more like crash bars - but that still isn't nearly as robust as a full set of aftermarket uppers.

Gary

My bike as I ride around town and current setup for off-road.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for reply on bars

Yes the std upper bars are more just a rail for the lights maybe, but I dont plan a lot of off roading, mainly all year riding with the odd gentle excursion

What about weather protection?

I am going front fender extender and rad guard, not sure about hugger as quite a cost if it does not help much

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,975 Posts
Thanks for reply on bars

Yes the std upper bars are more just a rail for the lights maybe, but I dont plan a lot of off roading, mainly all year riding with the odd gentle excursion

What about weather protection?

I am going front fender extender and rad guard, not sure about hugger as quite a cost if it does not help much
I’ve ridden of road for over 45yrs and I’ll tell you just what I’ve seen with what people think is good protection with aluminum, first off plastic “protectors” are SUPPOSED to flex and if hit hard enough brake, but in the end it keeps what ever it’s protecting from serious damage. Let’s take radiator guards, most debris (rocks included) will just bounce off the plastic and yes you can have a impact that could dent a fin, but for the most part it will protect against punctures, then flex BACK and continue to protect. Now with that same impact with an aluminum guard will bend that aluminum and push it against your radiator, yea you can argue that that’s no big deal it’s just “touching” but personally in not a fan of anything crammed against my radiator and riding all day. And OMG! People AGAIN they are BRUSH GUARDS!!
Not all out armor protection for your hands and not CRASH PROTECTION if the bike drops they may brake and I will say: honestly if you’re riding off road and constantly braking them you should consider NOT riding off road. Let me tell you a story of BarkBuster’s... A friend slid a corner and punched a tree, yay! he had BarkBusters and the big tough aluminum strap, how do I know it’s tough aluminum (you may have asked). Because we spent a good amount of time prying and cursing at that bar trying to bend it back off his clutch so he could ride again, luckily his hand wasn’t pinned in there to bad and with a heavy pull it slid out. Now what I’ve seen in the plastic brush guards yep if seen people dump their bike and crack them (it happens) but as long as they are still attached they still will do their job and protect your hands from branches and twigs along the tail and not really interfere with your riding ( other then them flapping in the breeze ). Then when they get home 12$ later a nice shiny brand new one goes on.
Point being plastic does the job and you don’t have to worry bout having to bend it back and IF it does crack it’s cheap to replace.

Side note to the DCT crowd: we’re not any safer with the above story, think about that aluminum bar pressing on our parking brake lever, just food for thought....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts