Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installing Mitas E-10 Dakar rear 150/70-18 to replace the TKC80 I've had on since taking delivery of the bike 6,600km ago. Tube in it is the Honda OEM one.

Trying to buy a new tube. Locally I can find 5.00-5.30 tubes and 140/80-18 tubes in both Regular thickness, 2mm (heavy duty) and 4mm (ultra heavy duty). Can't find any 150/70 tubes. I recon a 150/70 equates to a 6.00-18 tube size.

Chris Birch advised not to use UHD tubes - too much heat and it takes a lot of pressure to expand the tube just to touch the tyre.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Here's the Honda P/N for my rear tube: 42712-mgc-n21
The 5.00-5.30 tubes won't seat the bead, I learned the hard way.
You are correct that it relates to a 6.00-18 tube size. I can't find them them locally so I ended up ordering online, which isn't too easy since it seems like this is an uncommon size.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thing to keep in mind is that butyl tubes don't expand as much as natural rubber tubes, so won't fill the tire cavity on these big tires as well.
Metzeler makes a tube (#2109610) that is listed to fit a 140/80-18, which is close enough to 150/70.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I tried to order one through my dealership. Haven't heard from them in weeks. I don't think Honda even sources a replacement yet.

I did a tire change last week and noticed the stock tube had a spot warn in it where a piece of something had got stuck between the tube and tire. I had no choice but to keep going on the tire. So I stopped at a dealership the other day and asked for a tube. I think it was a Suzuki/Ducati/triump dealership. He gave me a tube and I headed off. When I stopped for the night I took out the tube and it was a 4.5x18" - a regular dirtbike tube lol. Hope it works when my tube lets go cause it looks like otherwise I'll be looking at shipping the bike and flying back home cause tubes are so hard to come by.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts