Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I have a 2020 ATAS with the OEM aluminum panniers (made by Givi). I would like to have some smaller soft panniers or a throw-over bag that will tie down well to the OEM rack for the aluminum ones. Checking with the members to see what setup is working well.

Was thinking that a rackless Mosko Moto or Wolfman Expedition could work by securing it to the pannier racks? Or is there a soft bag pannier set with a backing that can connect to the pannier racks? Is there a Giant Loop setup?

Wondering what works best.

Thanks,
J

·
Registered
156 Posts
There are so many options available for soft bags that mount to pannier racks. I think the best advise would be to search for bags with the features that look most useful to you. All the big players (and even most of the little ones) will have something for you. You mention Giant Loop; they have both the Mototrekk and Round the World panniers that will work, and they also offer quick-release pannier mounts that are pretty slick. Wolfman Rocky Mountain Expedition are nice, Adventure Spec Magadan are super modular, Kreiga has their (very nice) OS system, Nelson Rigg's new Hurricane setup is a very nice economical choice (I have their older Sierra bags), and Rocky Mountain ATV/MC has their Tusk line of bags that get good reviews. There are many more to chose from as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There are so many options available for soft bags that mount to pannier racks. I think the best advise would be to search for bags with the features that look most useful to you. All the big players (and even most of the little ones) will have something for you. You mention Giant Loop; they have both the Mototrekk and Round the World panniers that will work, and they also offer quick-release pannier mounts that are pretty slick. Wolfman Rocky Mountain Expedition are nice, Adventure Spec Magadan are super modular, Kreiga has their (very nice) OS system, Nelson Rigg's new Hurricane setup is a very nice economical choice (I have their older Sierra bags), and Rocky Mountain ATV/MC has their Tusk line of bags that get good reviews. There are many more to chose from as well.
Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just looked. GIANT LOOP doesn't include rhe Africa Twin on their fitment list for the rack. I thinking that the bulge in the rack for the exhaust is the problem with fitment - you would need a different design in order to keep the adaptor plate vertical.

·
Super Moderator
9,628 Posts
Just looked. GIANT LOOP doesn't include rhe Africa Twin on their fitment list for the rack. I thinking that the bulge in the rack for the exhaust is the problem with fitment - you would need a different design in order to keep the adaptor plate vertical.
Welcome to the Forum @cypresscycle.

Feel free to introduce yourself at the New Member Introductions area of the Forum.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up with a rack-free Mosko Moto Reckless V2 40.00 litre. Really nicely made. Love it. The dry bags are well done too. However, the foam backboard is very intrusive in molding the pack around the rear passenger grab rails. Without those, the rack probably would have fit nicely down the OEM pannier rack (Givi). The setup would work, but the holsters are not running down the sides of the bike enough, even with the Mosko in the wide setting. I think a throw-over set without a rigid back would work best. Not sure who's making that, but it won't be Giant Loop or Mosko (even though these look like very very high quality). Perhaps Nelson Rigg?
I decided to put them on the CRF instead, and the fit is much better. Running the Adventure Spec pannier and tail rack on the CRF and am really happy with them as there are lots of slots for passing the straps through, making fitment much much easier. Definitely going to be looking more at their stuff...well thought out.
The OEM (Givi) top rack on the Honda is nicely made, but it could have used a few extra slots for passing straps through.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took the Kriega bags off the CRF and added them to the Africa Twin instead. They fit the panniers well, but they look a little smallish. For everyday use though, they are perfect.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Those are large panniers. Great capacity for longer trips. How are they holding up?
Really good so far, no issues and I had them stuffed full on my trip to Tuk. At half the price of some of the other brands, you know which ones I am talking about I couldn't say no to trying them. I bought them last winter on sale from GP bikes for $700.00 Cdn, so really a third of the price which included 10% off for signing up for their news letter. I had Nelson Rigg soft panniers on my 890 they are cheaper but are a pain in the butt getting on and off. GTRs have a plate that stays on the paniers
Tire Wheel Water Fuel tank Plant

·
Registered
138 Posts
I should add they are not as high a quality as the early version of moskos I had on a previous AT but I am not an around the world traveler although moskos are made over seas now also hopefully the quality hasn't suffered

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey,

I have a 2020 ATAS with the OEM aluminum panniers (made by Givi). I would like to have some smaller soft panniers or a throw-over bag that will tie down well to the OEM rack for the aluminum ones. Checking with the members to see what setup is working well.

Was thinking that a rackless Mosko Moto or Wolfman Expedition could work by securing it to the pannier racks? Or is there a soft bag pannier set with a backing that can connect to the pannier racks? Is there a Giant Loop setup?

Wondering what works best.

Thanks,
J
I bought the GIVI GRT709 35LTR SADDLEBAGS and love them. They come with adapter plates so they fit most racks. What I really like is that they bags lock onto the racks. GRT709 35LTR SADDLEBAGS

1 - 16 of 16 Posts