Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across a pretty decent video this morning breaking down the current adventure tire offerings. I thought it was pretty spot on with what I read in the forums. I like that in addition to ktms, they used africa twins as test bikes.

I'm currently running motoz tractionator GPS, second set, and have been so happy with them, I haven't wanted to try anything else, but the adventure is on the list as is the mitas e-07 that has been put back into production. I never got a chance to try that tire.

How bout ya'll?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Depends on what you are looking for in a tire. I do 50/50 and most of the knobby-like tires do great off-road. Problem is you get them on road on a wet road, they don't grip so well. I liked the Mitas E07s. Vey good off-road traction and a really long life. But they didn't handle great on-road. I use Karoo 3s. Excellent everywhere. But very low mileage. I want to try the new Missions...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Depends on what you are looking for in a tire. I do 50/50 and most of the knobby-like tires do great off-road. Problem is you get them on road on a wet road, they don't grip so well. I liked the Mitas E07s. Vey good off-road traction and a really long life. But they didn't handle great on-road. I use Karoo 3s. Excellent everywhere. But very low mileage. I want to try the new Missions...
The missions look like a very good option from the review.

I'm definitely in the 50/50 category with my riding. Tho here in the mountains, great paved roads, frequent rains, I need to weigh my compromises which is why I am still running the gps. It's hard to fix what ain't broke, but still, I've always had a bit of a tire fetish and like knowing what's out there and what others are experiencing.

·
Administrator
1,906 Posts
The missions look like a very good option from the review.

I'm definitely in the 50/50 category with my riding. Tho here in the mountains, great paved roads, frequent rains, I need to weigh my compromises which is why I am still running the gps. It's hard to fix what ain't broke, but still, I've always had a bit of a tire fetish and like knowing what's out there and what others are experiencing.
I have really likes the GPS and ran a couple of sets on my previous '16. I will likely run them again on my '19 ATAS, but as part of the sale I get the first tire change free and my dealer doesn't carry them. So going with the Missions with that free set and then will decide from there.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have really likes the GPS and ran a couple of sets on my previous '16. I will likely run them again on my '19 ATAS, but as part of the sale I get the first tire change free and my dealer doesn't carry them. So going with the Missions with that free set and then will decide from there.

Please report back with a review. I'd love your thoughts.

I've never met a Dunlop I liked, so I'm curious. I absolutely despised the trailsmarts that came stock on my '17.

·
Super Moderator
3,528 Posts

I've never met a Dunlop I liked, so I'm curious. I absolutely despised the trailsmarts that came stock on my '17.
(+1) on the Cuch Mission feedback.

Dunlop TrailMax (non-Mission) are dismal.

·
Administrator
1,906 Posts

D606 is the only Dunlop tire I have had any experience with prior to the Trailsmarts. I took the Trailsmarts off my '16 immediately (actually still have them in the garage), but decided to keep them on my '19 ATAS through the winter months. I am actually pretty surprised that at about 6K miles, they still look to have at least 1K miles wear left and weren't nearly as bad of a street tire as I expected. IMHO they have handled in wet, icy, light dirt and mud as well as you would expect a 95/5 tire to handle. But reviews on them seem really mixed and I do wonder if there are more than one version of this tire manufactured in different facilities.

That said, I can't think of another Dunlop tire I would try if it wasn't for the Trailmax Mission. The reviews have piqued my interest.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I use Karoo 3s. Excellent everywhere. But very low mileage. I want to try the new Missions...
I have the Karoo 3's and my rear tire will be lucky to hit 4000 miles (front tire still OK). I find the Karoo 3 front tire a bit squirrel-y as it hunts for traction on marble sized gravel roads. The tires are a bit noisy. Believe it or not, I still like them - just noting a few observations. My next tires will probably be Dunlop TrailMaxes.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
D606 is the only Dunlop tire I have had any experience with prior to the Trailsmarts. I took the Trailsmarts off my '16 immediately (actually still have them in the garage), but decided to keep them on my '19 ATAS through the winter months. I am actually pretty surprised that at about 6K miles, they still look to have at least 1K miles wear left and weren't nearly as bad of a street tire as I expected. IMHO they have handled in wet, icy, light dirt and mud as well as you would expect a 95/5 tire to handle. But reviews on them seem really mixed and I do wonder if there are more than one version of this tire manufactured in different facilities.

That said, I can't think of another Dunlop tire I would try if it wasn't for the Trailmax Mission. The reviews have piqued my interest.
If I absolutely had to say something good about the trailsmsrts.... they weren't bad on the interstate and in the wet............... But they were atrocious offroad (of course), and on dry twisties. I've never had a tire step out so frequently on dry pavement. I was too cheap to pull them off early and the rear was near bald at 7500. Was surprised that they lasted that long. I hated the harley d402 as well. Can't remember the lines from way back, but always got them off asap.

·
Administrator
1,906 Posts
If I absolutely had to say something good about the trailsmsrts.... they weren't bad on the interstate and in the wet............... But they were atrocious offroad (of course), and on dry twisties. I've never had a tire step out so frequently on dry pavement. I was too cheap to pull them off early and the rear was near bald at 7500. Was surprised that they lasted that long. I hated the harley d402 as well. Can't remember the lines from way back, but always got them off asap.
I honestly haven't had any real issues with them in dry twisties here, but I do believe different states and even within the same state depending on region and weather conditions. So I think a tire that works on dry twisties say in Golden Gate Canyon here, maybe doesn't translate to the east coast or the south,etc.

I could be wrong, it's just a thought.

This is a about as "rough" as I have taken them off-road though. Being a 95/5, I am sure they don't perform well beyond that.

·
Super Moderator
3,528 Posts
I honestly haven't had any real issues with them in dry twisties here, but I do believe different states and even within the same state depending on region and weather conditions. So I think a tire that works on dry twisties say in Golden Gate Canyon here, maybe doesn't translate to the east coast or the south,etc.

I could be wrong, it's just a thought.

This is a about as "rough" as I have taken them off-road though. Being a 95/5, I am sure they don't perform well beyond that.

I think I could do that road all day Cuch. Awl man, I can feel the vibe from up here. :)

·
Administrator
1,906 Posts
I think I could do that road all day Cuch. Awl man, I can feel the vibe from up here. :)

It is a nice scenic route out by Wellington Lake called Goose Creek Road. Non-technical, easy-going. Drops you off on Tarryall Road. Lunch at Castello Street Coffee in Florissant before heading home :)

It started to snow at one point, but otherwise a beautiful and sunny day. That's Colorado for you.

·
Administrator
1,906 Posts
Very nice. Did you install the Trailmax Missions yourself?
I did not. My purchase with the dealership included first replacement of tires and first battery replacement. I wonder if they knew what that Lithium Ion battery cost at the time?

·
Super Moderator
3,528 Posts
I did not. My purchase with the dealership included first replacement of tires and first battery replacement. I wonder if they knew what that Lithium Ion battery cost at the time?

Right - you did write that elsewhere. Good deal!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Couch - I am excited to hear your feedback on these tires running around Colorado. I am skeptical of a tire claiming both on road and off road prowess. Cheers Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
1,906 Posts
Couch - I am excited to hear your feedback on these tires running around Colorado. I am skeptical of a tire claiming both on road and off road prowess. Cheers Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a bit of a tire obsession of some sort where I always want to try out something I haven't tried before. Since my dealer doesn't carry the Motoz Tractionator GPS, it was a good opportunity to try them. Tractionator GPS I got to try for free as well.

The best tires are free tires. Though this set being "free" is probably a bit if a euphemism much like free breakfast at a hotel.

The Motoz GPS I actually did get free along with a bunch of promo material and stickers :)

Looking forward to trying them out. Taking a bit of a short ride tomorrow. Picnic lunch with the wife who is also off tomorrow :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
I like Goose Creek Road. Are those current pics? Did you go all the way to 7? the paved road to Tarryall? Was wondering the condition. I've been on it in early spring and the mud can be a PITA. In the late summer it can get sandy, but nothing serious.

It is a nice scenic route out by Wellington Lake called Goose Creek Road. Non-technical, easy-going. Drops you off on Tarryall Road. Lunch at Castello Street Coffee in Florissant before heading home :)

It started to snow at one point, but otherwise a beautiful and sunny day. That's Colorado for you.

·
Administrator
1,906 Posts
I like Goose Creek Road. Are those current pics? Did you go all the way to 7? the paved road to Tarryall? Was wondering the condition. I've been on it in early spring and the mud can be a PITA. In the late summer it can get sandy, but nothing serious.
Art, hi. That was late summer last year after I purchased the bike. It was a bit sandy on the incline up from 126 (Wigwam Creek Rd. NF211). One of the guys in the group almost lost his KLR over the edge.

Road it out to 77 (Taryall Road) and through Georgetown to Florissant for lunch at Costello St. Coffee. Came back home through Deckers to Pine Creek Road to Sedalia and home. That doesn't help out much for road report for this year though :)

1 - 20 of 69 Posts