Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have 18k miles on my AT 50/50 off road and street

Tires i have ran and how much i liked them and how well they preformed.

Shinko 705 - Honestly my all time favorite tire on this bike, you cant beat the price and honestly they say they are an 80/20 tire but i find them closer to 60/40 for me. I think the weight of me plus the bike helps them track off-road and they are very durable. I've run these tires in the nastiest rock / shale river beds and i haven't had any chunking or chips. I usually get about 6-8k on a rear and 10k+ on a front. Obviously in deep sand and mud these tires are trash but with the honda AT being so heavy even with big blocks i found mud and sand to be challenging.

The best part about the shinko 705 is how they preform on the street. zero highway noise or vibration, the lean angle is way more than it should be. Ive carved some gnarly canyon roads with these tires.

Shinko 805/804 big block.

great tires for the price if you want knobbies. They have predictable road manners, tread life is decent for the price about 5-6k for a rear. A lot of people dislike these tires, Biggest complaint about the rear that ive seen is that the knobs arent staggered so sometimes the rear slides but honestly I got used to the mannerisms of the tire and ended up finding this tread pattern to be an advantage especially in sand. because the knobs aren't staggered the rear almost acts like a paddle in sand its incredible. Here in SO.cal we have tons of sand. Im not a huge fan of the shinko big block front its ok but its street manners leave a lot to be desired

In this picture here i have a Shinko big block rear paired with a shinko 700 front this was a great off road combination. The Shinko 700 works great on the AT and handles well on road.

Kenda Big blocks - the only good think IMO about the kenda big blocks is the price. In my experience these tires are trash. The rubber is very soft so you burn through tread very quickly on the street. I've had 3 different rear tires have huge chunks of knobs ripped off from normal off roading. Mileage wise the rear barely lasts 3k miles.

On the road they arent too loud but the front loves to track in the highway grooves here in california which makes them very scary at high speeds.

In this picture below i paired the kenda big block rear with a kenda k270
the 270 tracks fine off road however its an extremely soft tire i would not recommend for the At. on the streets the tire is so soft it bends and flexs far more than you want.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I have 18k miles on my AT 50/50 off road and street

Tires i have ran and how much i liked them and how well they preformed.

Shinko 705 - Honestly my all time favorite tire on this bike, you cant beat the price and honestly they say they are an 80/20 tire but i find them closer to 60/40 for me. I think the weight of me plus the bike helps them track off-road and they are very durable. I've run these tires in the nastiest rock / shale river beds and i haven't had any chunking or chips. I usually get about 6-8k on a rear and 10k+ on a front. Obviously in deep sand and mud these tires are trash but with the honda AT being so heavy even with big blocks i found mud and sand to be challenging.

The best part about the shinko 705 is how they preform on the street. zero highway noise or vibration, the lean angle is way more than it should be. Ive carved some gnarly canyon roads with these tires.

View attachment 56968

Shinko 805/804 big block.

great tires for the price if you want knobbies. They have predictable road manners, tread life is decent for the price about 5-6k for a rear. A lot of people dislike these tires, Biggest complaint about the rear that ive seen is that the knobs arent staggered so sometimes the rear slides but honestly I got used to the mannerisms of the tire and ended up finding this tread pattern to be an advantage especially in sand. because the knobs aren't staggered the rear almost acts like a paddle in sand its incredible. Here in SO.cal we have tons of sand. Im not a huge fan of the shinko big block front its ok but its street manners leave a lot to be desired

In this picture here i have a Shinko big block rear paired with a shinko 700 front this was a great off road combination. The Shinko 700 works great on the AT and handles well on road.

View attachment 56970

View attachment 56971

Kenda Big blocks - the only good think IMO about the kenda big blocks is the price. In my experience these tires are trash. The rubber is very soft so you burn through tread very quickly on the street. I've had 3 different rear tires have huge chunks of knobs ripped off from normal off roading. Mileage wise the rear barely lasts 3k miles.

On the road they arent too loud but the front loves to track in the highway grooves here in california which makes them very scary at high speeds.

In this picture below i paired the kenda big block rear with a kenda k270
the 270 tracks fine off road however its an extremely soft tire i would not recommend for the At. on the streets the tire is so soft it bends and flexs far more than you want.

View attachment 56969
Great pictures algebraic. Thanks for the impressions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Back and forth between the stock (garbage) Dunlop Trailmax and Motoz Tractionator HTs.

If the Dunlops are ice cream, the Motoz are ice cream served by angels. If the Dunlops are utter hot garbage ****, the Motoz are still ice cream served by angels. Nobody wants the Dunlops and they still have enough life left for my cheap ass to keep them for street use. Even though they are utter hot garbage. When they die I'll get a 50/50 tire. Probably the Motoz ones.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Back and forth between the stock (garbage) Dunlop Trailmax and Motoz Tractionator HTs.

If the Dunlops are ice cream, the Motoz are ice cream served by angels. If the Dunlops are utter hot garbage ****, the Motoz are still ice cream served by angels. Nobody wants the Dunlops and they still have enough life left for my cheap ass to keep them for street use. Even though they are utter hot garbage. When they die I'll get a 50/50 tire. Probably the Motoz ones.
The one good thing i'd say about the stock tires is durability. I subjected them to some gnasty trails in the Eastern Sierras and they held up. Granted i had zero traction and had to fight every hill but at least i didnt get a flat.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The one good thing i'd say about the stock tires is durability. I subjected them to some gnasty trails in the Eastern Sierras and they held up. Granted i had zero traction and had to fight every hill but at least i didnt get a flat.
True story. Makes me wonder how good the Trailmax Missions are. Traction plus durability?

61 - 69 of 69 Posts