Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, hope you are well! I'm in the UK and am changing my NC700X and really keen on a 2017 AT. Is there a section with what to look out for? Thanks in advance...I have posted this in the introduction section, apologies for the duplication! Any advice appreciate, hope to put deposit down this week.

·
Registered
13 Posts
From one newby to another welcome, I have a left over 2017 AT but plain Jane ABS standard. Which is what i wanted. The less farkles the better IMO. So what does yours have since 2017 AT can be DCT with extras. Rusty spokes in corrosive road conditions is all I've heard about on the 2017. C clip on Center stand over here, seems us yanks can't get em on correctly.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Welcome.
The 2016-17 model suffered frequent rust on spokes, as said above. Also the starter switch was replaced in warranty because of some false contacts, verify if it's already been replaced. There also was a safety recall for the circlip on the center stand (is present): the correct version has a space between the end of about 8 mm (the wrong one is about 4 mm).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome! Its a manual, off to have a look at it tomorrow so all being well I can become a fully fledged member of the forum!! Really appreciate your replies, useful information.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Maybe ask or demand a fresh battery, after all it is a 4 year old machine. My dealer said if it croaked within the 1 yr warranty come C em. Which I will. Tires and batteries do have a shelf life. Br prepared to take a 5K depreciation as soon as you sign so do your Hagglin.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi All, hope you are well! I'm in the UK and am changing my NC700X and really keen on a 2017 AT. Is there a section with what to look out for? Thanks in advance...I have posted this in the introduction section, apologies for the duplication! Any advice appreciate, hope to put deposit down this week.
hi there,
Western Canada
2017 tri color manual, with 27k km of hard use.
depending on mileage on bike, look for:
-Stiction of forks. Usually **** the bed at 7-10k km regardless of use. This cannot be sorted on the 2016-2017 forks.
An no the regular 2018 forks don't fix the issue either. ATAS outers is they anwser.
Moar here: https://thetenerist.wordpress.com/2018/10/06/2017-honda-crf-1000-africa-twin-fork-inspection/
-Battery, ask for new one, or capacity of the old one

Other than using up a tires, and gas, it's been great. I have no issues with spokes.

·
Registered
ATAS 2019
5 Posts
hello, finally my time has come to look for my new toy.

i was thinking of a 2017 model as i still can get good deals and great conditions in the second hand market, but thinking on the "improvements/changes" made to the 2018, i think i will be upgrading at least one more year.

so my question is,
do the changes/upgrades made on the 2018 vs 2017, really make the difference? is it worth?
in terms of engine, throttle and exhaust, can you tell the difference?

thanks!

·
Registered
198 Posts
hello, finally my time has come to look for my new toy.

i was thinking of a 2017 model as i still can get good deals and great conditions in the second hand market, but thinking on the "improvements/changes" made to the 2018, i think i will be upgrading at least one more year.

so my question is,
do the changes/upgrades made on the 2018 vs 2017, really make the difference? is it worth?
in terms of engine, throttle and exhaust, can you tell the difference?

thanks!
Good question. As I searched the topic it seems the mid range , sound is improved a little bit. There are user modes but my guess is that you may play with it for a week the most.....but the spokes are stainless now...and the pegs are wider. Other than that I think it’s the same.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Check the gearbox, if you get false neutrals between 5th to 6th, do not buy the bike, I almost had a crash because it intensified in my 2017 model, to the point that it would do this every day, unlike some pretend it's a matter of lever adjustment, some early models have bad gearboxes and I can tell you it's a nightmare !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts