Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it's really amazing that Honda designed a miniature tool box that stows on the bike. So, what tools have you off road warriors or daily on road commuters found most useful to have in there that fit?

·
Registered
154 Posts
If I'm going anywhere even slightly remote I take everything I need to repair a puncture plus a few other tools: motionpro beadbreaker/tyre spoons, 22/27mm ring spanner/spoons, small handpump, 10/11mm ring spanner, 12/13mm open end spanner, 14mm combination spanner, set of metric allen keys, long-nose pliers, stanley multi-bit screwdriver, pen multimeter, slim box-cutter. They all roll up small and neat in a sturdy tool roll I bought from Bogear in Australia.
For local, on-road travel I don't bother - I use the NRMA. Plus there's always the Honda tool kit for an emergency or a spark plug change.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Motorcycle manufacturers, you have to wonder about their R&D Dept sometimes, still supplying spark plug spanners in the tool kit like it's a 2stroke lawn mower. Honestly when was the last time you had to do a roadside sparkplug change on a modern motorcycle? So unless your crossing flooded rivers and need to clear out a swamped motor, leave that s/p spanner in the shed, carry something more useful. Derek Dust is on the right track, also I suggest you try doing some mock repairs at home (you know, take the wheels off and on, remove the handle bars, switches etc.) try this with the minimum amount of tools before you head out, that will soon tell you which ones you really need to carry. At least that how I work it out..

·
Registered
154 Posts
Motorcycle manufacturers, you have to wonder about their R&D Dept sometimes, still supplying spark plug spanners in the tool kit like it's a 2stroke lawn mower. Honestly when was the last time you had to do a roadside sparkplug change on a modern motorcycle? So unless your crossing flooded rivers and need to clear out a swamped motor, leave that s/p spanner in the shed, carry something more useful. Derek Dust is on the right track, also I suggest you try doing some mock repairs at home (you know, take the wheels off and on, remove the handle bars, switches etc.) try this with the minimum amount of tools before you head out, that will soon tell you which ones you really need to carry. At least that how I work it out..
Actually, now I think about it I haven't done a roadside plug change for many, many years - since synthetic two stroke oil arrived in fact. But the plug spanner is a small item and already in the Honda tool pouch and if you get water in the engine you'll need it (been there, done that!), so it can stay. I'd say definitely try a few mock repairs at home, and try a tyre change too, front and rear. I replaced the OEMs with Tractionators at home without a compressor or any fancy gear, and that rear was a tough SOB to get on the rim. But I did discover that I didn't need the Beadbuddy or rim protectors, so they can stay in the shed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
A complete and comprehensive tool list would be nice. I've just switched from a R1200GS to the AT. I had a complete tool list to do everything on the R1200, but am uncertain as to what tools are necessary on the AT.

Like Derek Dust, I will do some remote areas.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did not get a Honda tool kit with the bike. What is in that?

Reactions: motomarc55

·
Registered
154 Posts
I did not get a Honda tool kit with the bike. What is in that?
Not a lot. The basics: a couple of open-end spanners, plug spanner, std and x-head screwdriver, small socket for suspension adjustment. You are better off putting your own together, especially if you are going remote.

·
Registered
158 Posts
On long trips :
Bead breaker
tyre levers
Puncture rep gear
Compressor
Beefy wire ties
Basic tools

Otherwise there are too many gizmos that cannot be rectified at the side of the road in the desert.

M

1 - 9 of 9 Posts