Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered my bike this week and it'll be delivered on 1st March. I've searched online and it seems likely to have Dunlop tyres on which are not highly regarded (generally). Can anyone confirm the likely make, model of tyre?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Ive had no problems with the Dunlops.. aside from them being tubed, which for me is by far the biggest problem of all.

they are.. i think Dunlop trailmax d610 F 909021 and Rear - trailmax d610 150 17r18

great in the dry.. and no problem for me at least in the wet... and its been largely wet since I got the bike on Nov 20th. 1200 road only miles.

But.. they are about to go when my new wheels arrive and I can go tubeless.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I think the later models of the bike come with Bridgestone A41 tires. But someone with a 2017+ can confirm.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I thought it was a UK/ Europe -- USA thing. That in the UK (at least, from what I've read) you guys have the Bridgestones? And in the US we have the Dunlops?

Not sure about Canada.

I have the Dunlop Trailmax D610s here in the US (in Virginia).

Maybe I'm wrong about that though, and it could be either, anywhere?

Gary

Ps. I've had no problems with the Dunlops. On the road they're great. On dry dirt, OK, so far...

·
Registered
284 Posts
I just did some searching and the Bridgestone A41s look more road oriented. The Dunlop D610s seem to have a better tread for a bit of off-roading?

The two pictures of the Dunlop tires below are the tires I have, rear and front.

Is the Bridgestone combo picture the tires you guys with Bridgestones have? (It's what I found for the A41 tire). I'm not sure I'd want to go off-road on that tire...

Attachments

·
Registered
335 Posts
From what the dealer told me it’s a lottery. Honda works with Bridgestone and with Dunlop for the AT and others. At the factory, they’ll have say 500 sets of Dunlop’s, will install those on 500 bikes and will then have a container with 500 sets of bridge stones. So in the same dealership I saw 2018 models with both tires, they were simply made on different days/months.
I’ve got a late 2017 built AT, bought new 2 weeks ago, Dunlop’s on. I’ve been quite surprised so far by how they’ve done, feel good in wet and cold weather and don’t follow lines on the road more than my old battle wings that I loved. I already have usage on the edges of the tire

·
Registered
437 Posts
Home and remembered to pop out and check.. and my 2018 Adventure Sports has Dunlops fitted.

But, not for long.. because also waiting for me was an eMail letting me know that my new tubeless wheels will be arriving next week.. after an 8 week wait. (I was quoted 10 weeks)

So, anyway, I don't recognise the problems other owners have had with these particular tyres, nearly all my riding has been on damp, greasy and/or wet roads. Cold wet roads due to the time of year and never once have they given me anything like a 'moment' or indeed any confidence issues at all. Just the constant worry about punctures which is all the reason I need to get rid.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My 2018 ATAS came with the Dunlops in Oregon, but just mounted the new Anakee Adventures on the wheels with an Outex conversion. I have yet to ride on them as the weather has sucked, and oh yeah, my forks and shock are at Cogent Dynamics in NE.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Ah, that was NC as in North Carolina. Bloody clumsy fingers.

·
Registered
335 Posts
My 2018 ATAS came with the Dunlops in Oregon, but just mounted the new Anakee Adventures on the wheels with an Outex conversion. I have yet to ride on them as the weather has sucked, and oh yeah, my forks and shock are at Cogent Dynamics in NE.
Let us know how the anakee adventures are, especially in the wet if you can. Saw them today, they look goood

·
Registered
98 Posts
My 2018 ATAS came with Dunlops. Tried to like but once they squirmed on wet corners....their days were numbered! Ones in my local dealer (19 models) have A41 (model specific version - H rated, unlike rest of range). About to change. By the way, replacement OE Dunlops are not sold in UK....wonder why... Almost went for Karoo Street; may be next time

·
Registered
49 Posts
Confirm BridgeStone A41 on my 2018 UK spec - very good in the dry (had some good fun) and no complaints in the wet so far (though not used in wet anger). Better on the gravel and slipsy than you think they would be - but I'm not qualified for off-road comments so I'll zip it :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2018 adventure sports and took off the stock tires and bought Motoz Tractionator Adventure Dual Sport tires from Chaparral Motorsports (Australia). I will never put any other tire on my bike. They are super great and last a very long time. I did a lot of checking what others were saying about theirs.
You will need a steering stabilizer from MSC MOTO / Rally Moto. It works great to keep the big nobbies from wobbling.
You might want the AltRider Crash bars (full set). Also just about everything AltRider has for your bike but get the OEM Centerstand.
The OEM LOW SEAT is a must. The OEM side panniers are great for when removed, there is no racks left to look ugly. The big 57 liter GIVI rear box is great for two full size helmets.
R&G Tail Tidy makes the rear look way better. Black Dog Cycle Works Foot Pegs are great. Clear StopGrip Tank Grips are the best. Hepco & Becker Haddlebar Protection works perfect.
Just my opinion, but a lot of guys really like what I've done to mine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
WaterDude

Ordered my bike this week and it'll be delivered on 1st March. I've searched online and it seems likely to have Dunlop tyres on which are not highly regarded (generally). Can anyone confirm the likely make, model of tyre?
I have a 2018 adventure sports and took off the stock tires and bought Motoz Tractionator Adventure Dual Sport tires from Chaparral Motorsports (Australia). I will never put any other tire on my bike. They are super great and last a very long time. I did a lot of checking what others were saying about theirs.
You will need a steering stabilizer from MSC MOTO / Rally Moto. It works great to keep the big nobbies from wobbling.
You might want the AltRider Crash bars (full set). Also just about everything AltRider has for your bike but get the OEM Centerstand.
The OEM LOW SEAT is a must. The OEM side panniers are great for when removed, there is no racks left to look ugly. The big 57 liter GIVI rear box is great for two full size helmets.
R&G Tail Tidy makes the rear look way better. Black Dog Cycle Works Foot Pegs are great. Clear StopGrip Tank Grips are the best. Hepco & Becker Haddlebar Protection works perfect.
Just my opinion, but a lot of guys really like what I've done to mine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My AT 2016, came with Dunlop tires 90 (onroad)-10 (offroad), very good tires, dry, wet and a little bit offroad. I change the tires with 17,000 kms, still with live. then and I changed to Pirelli 70-30 in the rear and Continental TKC 70 in the front, more noisy on paved roads, with the idea to spend more time offroad, but...

Regards,

·
Registered
504 Posts
A lot of big name tires on the market, all claiming to give the best of all. One of the coolest things about the AT is it’s not a big horsepower engine, meaning tires will last quite awhile compared to the larger horsepower machines. Overall, pick a brand that fits your budget & let it rip.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts