Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

Newby here. I've been reading through various threads but there is almost too much to read! I'm confused :eek:

I'm wanting to fit Aux lights and a power outlet. I'd like them both to be only on with the ignition.

Could I ask what wires there are already installed on the bike, where and what the connecters are called?

What is the easiest way to wire this up?

I should add, I would like to get and use the OEM fog light switch if possible to keep it neat.

Many thanks in advance.

Mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Think I've answered my own question.

One connector behind instrument cluster. Four wires. I can use the Red/Yellow +12V into the OEM switch. From the switched +12v take one feed back to the Blue/Black wire for dash indication and the other to a relay. Run a +12v fused wire from the battery into relay. Output gives me a good +12v supply for lights.

Use either the Red/Yellow +12v directly, or the +12v from battery through a relay, to power a power outlet for GPS, phone etc.

Is my logic about right?

Also, can anyone recommend some good earthing points?

Many thanks,

Mike.

·
Registered
290 Posts
You got it right, @Banzaibrothers.
The option connector has ground wire, too. The green one. Green is the color for ground wires on Honda's motorcycles. If you don't have many amperes you can use it. Other ground points can be seen when you remove the fairings. I don't remember if in the front part of the bike there are some of them.
If you'll use some LED lights maybe you don't even needs a relay. The options connector wirings will handle 4-5 amperes without problem.
I've connected the GPS to the same front option connector with a Y cable to serve both foglights and GPS (a TomTom unit).
The front option connector is a Sumitomo HM090 (4 pins).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts