Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a brand new 2019 Atas the other day and have put 390 miles so far. Tonight while checking things and raising the front forks to lower it 3/8 of an inch , I noticed all 4 axle pinch bolts were not even finger tight. So that seems a rather grievous error to me. I am wondering if it’s the factory or dealer that would be to blame? I know there is a lot of knowledge in this forum. So any thoughts on this matter?

·
Registered
445 Posts
As Drum Dog said, the front wheel must be mounted by the dealer as part of the bike preparation. Clearly they "forgot" to tight it to spec (27 Nm if I recall correctly). :surprise:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Never go near that dealer again and name said dealer so none of us are unfortunate to go near them either.:surprise:
You've been fortunate perhaps that the donkey that fitted the front wheel remembered to tighten the axle bolt and caliper bolts.
I'd be tempted to have a good look around with the spanners before I rode it again.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I’m not name calling yet but appreciate your feedback. I’m still figuring this out.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I notice white paint on the bolts of my bike. And in other places. Parts that I think the dealer installed. Probably a check list identification mark? Showing it had been tightened to spec? May ask them what color they use??. Don

·
Registered
21 Posts
Always do things yourself ,My pal had new tyres fitted at local tyre shop they forgot to tighten pinch bolts!!!!
My own bike came came back from Honda dealer with rear suspension adjuster hanging off !!!!!
Goldwing came back from airbag recall with trim not properly fitted!!!
That's why I do all my own servicing....

·
Registered
96 Posts
Chasdog I would just mention it to them. they should have record on who worked on it, and they can punish as see fit? And that you want a free hat or shirt!?. Don.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Never trust a dealer, any dealer. They hire unqualified people, and that's what you get.
Mechanics don't assemble bikes, grease monkeys do. Mechanics are too busy and too expensive to use for assembly.
I bought a brand name 250, it was 3/4 quart overfilled for oil, because the idiot filling it didn't know it was supposed to be upright, not on the sidestand.
The chain was WAY too tight, and the turn signal's wired wrong.
NEVER trust a dealer.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Never trust a dealer, any dealer. They hire unqualified people, and that's what you get.
Mechanics don't assemble bikes, grease monkeys do. Mechanics are too busy and too expensive to use for assembly.
I bought a brand name 250, it was 3/4 quart overfilled for oil, because the idiot filling it didn't know it was supposed to be upright, not on the sidestand.
The chain was WAY too tight, and the turn signal's wired wrong.
NEVER trust a dealer.
Your experience. Your opinion. Your generalization. How you deal with issues you have with the dealer says a lot.
My dealer experience is completely opposite of yours. Yes I check their work and if I have issues we have a professional not confrontational discussion. Local Honda shop has three techs with 75 years combined experience. They are good.
Think of all the poor souls out there with no mechanical or electrical capability to repair or service their bike...
We need more people buying and riding bikes...

·
Registered
200 Posts
Having been responsible for a fleet of over 2000 trucks, while unacceptable the fact is these things will always happen. Technicians are only human (and we know what that means, if they drank too much the night before, had a row with their girlfriend, wife or both etc) and often being pulled from job to job doesn't help. It could of course be reflective of a dealer with poor standards and one to avoid.

Why I am saying is, if it happened to me, I would take those responsible to task, move on and put it down to experience!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Your experience. Your opinion. Your generalization. How you deal with issues you have with the dealer says a lot.
My dealer experience is completely opposite of yours. Yes I check their work and if I have issues we have a professional not confrontational discussion. Local Honda shop has three techs with 75 years combined experience. They are good.
Think of all the poor souls out there with no mechanical or electrical capability to repair or service their bike...
We need more people buying and riding bikes...
I agree well said. I have never had a big issue with any dealer. A few minor ones but we resolved them quickly and at no cost to me.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did bring my issue up and discussed it with them. I now have other issues with the bike and am glad I did not get too fired up and in their face about it. The other AT at the dealership had loose axle pinch bolts which I pointed out to them. Their comment was that it was Honda that screwed up and that ATs come with front wheel on. I did not dispute the claim. ?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I did bring my issue up and discussed it with them. I now have other issues with the bike and am glad I did not get too fired up and in their face about it. The other AT at the dealership had loose axle pinch bolts which I pointed out to them. Their comment was that it was Honda that screwed up and that ATs come with front wheel on. I did not dispute the claim. ?
It's bad enough that they have incompetent staff assembling new motorcycles. Lying about it to cover their ass would be too much for me. At least you now know not to trust anything they tell you.

Here's an Africa Twin in the crate with the front wheel clearly not installed and strapped to the frame of the crate.

·
Administrator
3,288 Posts
Even if they DID receive the only crated AT ever shipped by Honda with the front wheel already on, it is STILL the responsibility of the dealership to perform the Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI). Things can settle in shipping, better to check than assume they did not.

Edit: Here is another walkaround look at how they arrive in the crate

youtu.be/ZHoEsOmxbNY

1 - 20 of 20 Posts