Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy aftermarket preload adjusters and found some for cheap but the sizes range from 18mm to 22mm. I looked in the manual and it doesn't say.

TIA

·
Registered
148 Posts
I measured the Titax adjusters and they are 20 mm, but a little gap can be seen between fork screws and Titax, maybe just that 1 mm gap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had some issues here. While all other suspension adjustments on the AT can be done with my Leatherman or bare hand in the case of rear preload, the front is an issue.
Being a Japanese bike, I assumed I would have something in the tool kit which could turn the preload adjusters. However, when I opened the tool kit, all that was in it was a (completely useless on an AT) phillips screwdriver and a mini fuse puller. Way to drop the ball Honda. Really illustrates how people who bag on Harleys are full of ****. At least they are up front about having to buy tools to do routine maintenance. Last Jap bike I had, a Suzuki, you could do all routine maintenance with the included tool kit. What I got from Honda cannot even legally be advertised as a "kit".
I am sure there was an error somewhere along the way but I am headed down to the dealership to bitch at the service manager. He is ultimately responsible for delivering a bike that was not complete and ready to go.
Additionally, the bike was delivered with 46psi in the rear tire and only 25psi in the front !?!
I realize not everyone can meet the skill and knowledge to hold an FAA A&P rating but this is ridiculous. Basic stuff. I'm glad I do my own maintenance because at this point, I trust no "professional" motorcycle techs. When going through the fork damping adjustment, I turned everything to the stops before adjusting, just to make sure they didn't **** that up as well.
I just ordered a Gear Wrench 19mm stubby for the job. I believe the proper fit would be 18.5mm because 19mm seems too loose by my professional standards. Considering it is an aluminum adjusting nut, I suggest being very careful when adjusting! Since one of my many skills includes machining, I may just start making a "perfect fit" preload adjuster wrench for the AT and selling it. Let me know if you would be interested in a light weight, compact aluminum preload adjustment tool for your AT...
PLEASE NOTE THAT WHILE DAMPING ADJUSTERS ALWAYS TURN CLOCKWISE FOR FIRMER SETTING, THE FORK PRELOAD ADJUSTERS TURN IN OPPOSITE DIRECTIONS. FAILURE TO HEED THIS WARNING AND THE RESULTING IMPROPER ADJUSTMENT FROM TURNING BOTH THE SAME DIRECTION COULD CAUSE A FATAL CRASH!
Happy trails!

·
Registered
415 Posts
I had some issues here. While all other suspension adjustments on the AT can be done with my Leatherman or bare hand in the case of rear preload, the front is an issue.
Being a Japanese bike, I assumed I would have something in the tool kit which could turn the preload adjusters. However, when I opened the tool kit, all that was in it was a (completely useless on an AT) phillips screwdriver and a mini fuse puller. Way to drop the ball Honda. Really illustrates how people who bag on Harleys are full of ****. At least they are up front about having to buy tools to do routine maintenance. Last Jap bike I had, a Suzuki, you could do all routine maintenance with the included tool kit. What I got from Honda cannot even legally be advertised as a "kit".
I am sure there was an error somewhere along the way but I am headed down to the dealership to bitch at the service manager. He is ultimately responsible for delivering a bike that was not complete and ready to go.
Additionally, the bike was delivered with 46psi in the rear tire and only 25psi in the front !?!
I realize not everyone can meet the skill and knowledge to hold an FAA A&P rating but this is ridiculous. Basic stuff. I'm glad I do my own maintenance because at this point, I trust no "professional" motorcycle techs. When going through the fork damping adjustment, I turned everything to the stops before adjusting, just to make sure they didn't **** that up as well.
I just ordered a Gear Wrench 19mm stubby for the job. I believe the proper fit would be 18.5mm because 19mm seems too loose by my professional standards. Considering it is an aluminum adjusting nut, I suggest being very careful when adjusting! Since one of my many skills includes machining, I may just start making a "perfect fit" preload adjuster wrench for the AT and selling it. Let me know if you would be interested in a light weight, compact aluminum preload adjustment tool for your AT...
PLEASE NOTE THAT WHILE DAMPING ADJUSTERS ALWAYS TURN CLOCKWISE FOR FIRMER SETTING, THE FORK PRELOAD ADJUSTERS TURN IN OPPOSITE DIRECTIONS. FAILURE TO HEED THIS WARNING AND THE RESULTING IMPROPER ADJUSTMENT FROM TURNING BOTH THE SAME DIRECTION COULD CAUSE A FATAL CRASH!
Happy trails!
In the standard tool kit that is shipped with every bike from the factory (I know you may not get the tool kit bacause the guys who unpack them at dealerships dont seem to unpack ****) there is in fact a 19mm ring spanner its function in life is to adjust the front forks.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Finkelroy
Japanese motorcycles (Jap bikes in your lingo) use JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screws, not Phillips. Look it up.
If you use a Phillips it may work or it may cam out and strip the head.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts