Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best top box? Hi everyone got a 2017 AT coming in February and getting really excited. I've got the SW Moteck centre stand, skid plate, crash bars already here and ready to bolt on but I'm just wondering what the best top box would be to buy Thanks

·
Registered
238 Posts
Givi,touratech.what panniers did u get.was thinking of touratech myself but don't no weather I cld look at the frame when luggage off.the oem panniers arnt too bad,so maybe oem panniers and touratech top box???what crash bars did u go for.got my bike Monday.best of luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't think there's a "best" top box. I think everybody has different preferences and for each purpose there's something more suitable than others. That being said, I went with the Honda factory top box. Reasons why I picked it and my judgement so far:

* Despite the other reports I read, the box feels pretty sturdy and I expect it to survive quite a bit of abuse
* Can be keyed to the bike's main key
* Has a backrest option for the passenger
* Key locks the box and also the mechanism that clasps to the luggage rack
* Holds a full size dual sport helmet and some other crap. Or I can fit my backpack with laptop inside. Etc.

The main reason I bought this top box was the "wife factor": She wanted a backrest if she was going to ride with me. I can also fit her purse and other swag in the box. And I can fit her helmet in the box in case I need to drop her off somewhere.

For my adventure / camping trips I plan on not using a top box. I will probably strap a dry bag across the panniers (TBD) as I have done on my 1200GS.

And no, I didn't go for the Honda panniers. My current favorite is a luggage rack with soft bags plus a set of tank panniers to keep the weight distribution balanced. This is one of the things I didn't like so much about my GS travels: With all the camping gear on the back, rides were not as carefree and enjoyable as they were without the luggage.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have the Honda luggage :( the top box is fine, hasn't been off the bike in 5500 miles, good size, waterproof, backrest etc. The side cases are a joke and a stationary drop broke the right box.
If anyone has a right side pannier going spare I would be very interested.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts