Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 base standard
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three years into the Gen 2 '20+ Africa Twin production, and still no re-useable K & N air filters to be had!? I emailed their customer support, asking them if it was in the works, heard nothing back. Time to check my filters, would love to move away from paper element.

·
Registered
544 Posts
If you ride off-road stay away from the K&N. If you want a reuseable filter I'd be looking at the Twinair or Unifilter. K&N filters breath well but will pass a lot of dirt through then in dusty conditions. I've rebuilt many offroad engines that are thoroughly sand/dust blasted internally from using K&N filters and oil sampling backs that up. If you must use a K&N, install the Unifilter pre-filters made for the Africa Twin. Just my .02. Paper elements actually filter quite well.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Bought k&n air filters (HA-9916) but never installed them. I just didnt like the look of the media so i went for oem's.
Researched air filters and found

·
Registered
544 Posts
Here is an older but pretty well done test for car filters, It makes it easy to see the differences between a paper filter and a K&N. Basically the K&N flows better when clean but clogs up very quickly and the restriction increases. The K&N has far less dirt holding capacity and passes much more dirt.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I second Guglatech, very well made and use synthetic media. I've been running for two years and recently checked them, cleaned and re-oiled. The airbox (and throttle bodies) were clean, no dust or dirt anywhere visually or wiping with finger and clean paper towel.

Auto part Camera accessory Cameras & optics Reflex camera Automotive design

Grille Material property Font Gas Auto part

·
Registered
2020 base standard
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see that AfricaTwinShop in France sells these BMC brand air filters, also similar to K & N:

Font Rectangle Magenta Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
2020 base standard
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got this reply from customer service (excellent):

Hello,

We greatly apologize for the delay in our response as we are currently experiencing a very high volume of emails; we thank you for your patience and apologize for the inconvenience.

I don't see any filters in production, but I will send a request to our production department based on your email.

Thank you again for contacting Customer Service.
Customer Service

·
Registered
CRF1000L | KLX300SM
346 Posts
Haven't had a K&N filter since my '03 Silverado, but I recently bought one for my KLX. Initially it was out of stock everywhere. A few weeks later, and they were available. Get on a waiting list with manufacturers. Then, buy where you want because they will be available there.

·
Registered
611 Posts
get some sprintfilter for road use or Guglatech, for off-road use

1 - 10 of 10 Posts