Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not quite willing to pop the clutch and rev the throttle on my giant AT Adventure Sports just to see if I can wheelie it, at least now without some confidence that I will not overdo it.

So... how far can one lift the front tire under the different wheelie control settings?

Has anyone tested it out?

Curious mind wants to know (without becoming the Guinea pig).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am also very interested in hearing just how this works. I cannot ride a wheelie but I can lift the front wheel up relatively easily. I dont fully trust the system (or maybe I am too chicken) so I let off. What does the system do when it stops you? Does it keep you in a wheelie if you are full on or does it put the wheel back on the ground regardless of throttle position.

·
Registered
2020 ATAS ES DCT and a few more
346 Posts
Generally it has been pretty good. Typically I have seen it wheelie about a 12-18" off the ground in the least intrusive mode. I did a quick head to head match up against my son's 2018 ATAS DCT. I got on it really hard at the light. It came up really quickly and I didn't let off the gas.

I did a pretty massive wheelie all the way through the intersection. I think it went higher than the IMU would normally let it go. I was at about a 45 degree angle and I was accelerating really hard. It didn't go over backwards but for about the first .25 seconds I wasn't so sure. So I made a mental note to myself that just a touch easier at launch.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Generally it has been pretty good. Typically I have seen it wheelie about a 12-18" off the ground in the least intrusive mode. I did a quick head to head match up against my son's 2018 ATAS DCT. I got on it really hard at the light. It came up really quickly and I didn't let off the gas.

I did a pretty massive wheelie all the way through the intersection. I think it went higher than the IMU would normally let it go. I was at about a 45 degree angle and I was accelerating really hard. It didn't go over backwards but for about the first .25 seconds I wasn't so sure. So I made a mental note to myself that just a touch easier at launch.
Interesting... that was on setting 1? I may give it my all on setting 3 and see how far it'll go. My poor technique (lack of experience) coupled with living at 6K ft in elevation make it kinda tough to wheelie.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Both the IMU and ABS sensors are designed to work in movement. I've noticed the anti-wheelie kicks in like traction control when starting from traffic light with less consistency than in movement. This is, your wheelie will stop almost at the same angle when using the same setting if you do it while riding at constant speed, but it may let you go too high or almost flat if you start the wheelie from stop.
It seems that it takes some time for the system to compare rotation and position, and this short time isn't always the same, which can cause a different response.

·
Registered
699 Posts
This guy’s review of the CRF1100L suggests that wheelie control may interfere with off road hill climbing performance, and he recommends disabling it for such purposes...
It absolutely does. It acts like TC and cuts power to the rear wheel. TC and WC need to both be set to 0 to ensure the system is totally disengaged. My first rough hill climb on the 1100 last spring saw me stalled out twice in precarious situations before I realized it was the WC kicking in. You will actually see the TC activation light go on right next to the illuminated TC disabled light if WC is left on. Every time I start the bike off pavement I disable both systems, as the chance of a hill climb around here is generally around 100%.

·
Super Moderator
9,102 Posts
Both the IMU and ABS sensors are designed to work in movement. I've noticed the anti-wheelie kicks in like traction control when starting from traffic light with less consistency than in movement. This is, your wheelie will stop almost at the same angle when using the same setting if you do it while riding at constant speed, but it may let you go too high or almost flat if you start the wheelie from stop.
It seems that it takes some time for the system to compare rotation and position, and this short time isn't always the same, which can cause a different response.
The firmware will make Honda-proprietary decisions based on the inertial data from the IMU. I suspect change in inertia parameters will be more prevalent from stop, versus while at velocity. Of course, if one manages to make a large inertia step change while travelling at 60 mph (e.g. a large step up in acceleration), then the firmware response will be proportional to dampen any "wheelie tendency".

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It absolutely does. It acts like TC and cuts power to the rear wheel. TC and WC need to both be set to 0 to ensure the system is totally disengaged. My first rough hill climb on the 1100 last spring saw me stalled out twice in precarious situations before I realized it was the WC kicking in. You will actually see the TC activation light go on right next to the illuminated TC disabled light if WC is left on. Every time I start the bike off pavement I disable both systems, as the chance of a hill climb around here is generally around 100%.
Didn't notice the TC light during my most recent hilly stall, but it certainly would explain the bike's performance on a very technical climb that I should have been able to complete but for a stalled out motor... Good call. I'll add it to my "User 2" mode protocol.

·
Registered
2018 ATAS DCT
42 Posts
I have the 2018 ATAS DCT and with the TC turned off and using manual mode in S2 and power 1, if I'm doing about 45 mph and and drop it down a couple gears and then grab a handful of throttle as the engine braking is occuring, it will pop a wheelie. Haven't tried it full throttle, as I didn't want it to Endo, but still gave me a smile and an adrenaline dump. 😁🤙🏼

·
Registered
59 Posts
This guy’s review of the CRF1100L suggests that wheelie control may interfere with off road hill climbing performance, and he recommends disabling it for such purposes...
It does inhibit acceleration on steep uphill climbs, I found out on my first climb when my Ats powered out on a very steep hill that my old XR600R would have flown up without issue and I was stuck sliding it down backwards till I was able to slide it around. So, if you are going off road shut down everything.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts