Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Honda CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT '20: when I take my hands of the handlebar, my bike wants to go to the right side of the (really flat, not any banking) road a bit; anyone else noticed the same with your Africa Twin ?

Thanks in advance (y).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Most bikes are balanced well but alot of them drift to the side the exhaust is predominantly on. My 2020 does it and so does my RSV4.

·
Registered
174 Posts
This may or may not help, but I learned with heavier bikes to load the crown-of-the-road-side bag with all my day-to-day stuff so my balance point would be more in line with the road for even tire wear.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The road wasn't crowned, tried several flat roads.

"Drift to the side the exhaust is predominantly on", that's a good one, never thought of it.

Going to check the rear wheel alignment - fork alignment (at the first service 1000km).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Honda CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT '20: when I take my hands of the handlebar, my bike wants to go to the right side of the (really flat, not any banking) road a bit; anyone else noticed the same with your Africa Twin ?

Thanks in advance (y).
Hi, i rode x adv 750 and nc 750 dtc and they both pull to the right regardless of the road, and i also rode africa 1100 2020 with manual transmission and it goes straight as arrow... mby its something due to dct...

·
Registered
116 Posts
i think it is to do with the rotation of the engine. Did you try going down a hill with the engine turned off?

·
Registered
65 Posts
All three of my bikes track straight ahead with no hands on bars. Something on your bike is causing it. Another thing it could be is the tire not balanced or mounted properly.

·
Registered
187 Posts

Thanks in advance (y).
How many miles on the current tires?
Is wear predominate on one side of the centerline? You know, how many right turns vs left turns...

·
Registered
9 Posts

Thanks in advance (y).
I do have the same problem (and the same bike as you do). Did you find any answers ?

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
267 Posts
Measure the difference in the rear chain adjusters and check/re-align the front forks and axle pinch bolts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Heavy exhaust on the right side, simple answer. If you want proof, hold the bike up vertical and see which side it falls on? 😝

·
Registered
9 Posts
To share my experience, here a summary of my today tests…..

Quick recap, I have a 2020 DCT adventure sport and when I take off my hands of the handlebar, my bike goes right. To make sure nothing interfered, during my test, I removed my motorcycle panniers.

Since my chain alignment seemed correct, I first thought my front tire was defecting.

My brother-in-law also have an Africa Twin (but not DCT) and an extra set of wheels. We first changed the front wheel, but my motorcycle continues to goes right as soon as I take my hands off. We then changed the rear wheel but with the same result.

Since the cause did not appear to be the tires, our new hypothesis was the weight distribution. Between the DCT model and the regular model, there is a difference of 23 pounds. And visually, all DCT components seem to be on the right side of the engine.

I reinstalled my left pannier with a load of 20 pounds inside and goes for a test drive. When I take off my hand of the handlebar, my bike goes straight ahead.

Andre

·
Registered
3 Posts
To share my experience, here a summary of my today tests…..

Quick recap, I have a 2020 DCT adventure sport and when I take off my hands of the handlebar, my bike goes right. To make sure nothing interfered, during my test, I removed my motorcycle panniers.

Since my chain alignment seemed correct, I first thought my front tire was defecting.

My brother-in-law also have an Africa Twin (but not DCT) and an extra set of wheels. We first changed the front wheel, but my motorcycle continues to goes right as soon as I take my hands off. We then changed the rear wheel but with the same result.

Since the cause did not appear to be the tires, our new hypothesis was the weight distribution. Between the DCT model and the regular model, there is a difference of 23 pounds. And visually, all DCT components seem to be on the right side of the engine.

I reinstalled my left pannier with a load of 20 pounds inside and goes for a test drive. When I take off my hand of the handlebar, my bike goes straight ahead.

Andre
Thats it, i have nc750xd 2021 with dct on the right and it pulls, i have also driven xadv 2021 it also pulls to the right, and i have driven africa 2020 manual she was going straight as an arrow. So it is the dct... i dont know how is it possible for honda to make unbalanced motorcycles...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thats it, i have nc750xd 2021 with dct on the right and it pulls, i have also driven xadv 2021 it also pulls to the right, and i have driven africa 2020 manual she was going straight as an arrow. So it is the dct... i dont know how is it possible for honda to make unbalanced motorcycles...
I'm not a mechanic, but the extra weight of the DCT seem to be the cause.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
706 Posts
Ol' Red tracks straight without bags. She will wander slightly to the side of the heavier bag when they're on. To track straight, shift weight slightly to the lighter side. Either lean or slide your rump slightly away from turn.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts