Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Very doubtful it has anything to do with the DCT. The weight offset would be easily countered by moving your body weight a few mm as your body mass is so much more and so much higher on the bike. The weight of the dct is very centralized and highly unlikely to have any influence on this. Every motorcycle is unique and perfect frame alignment is rare. Older Kawasaki's had very crooked frames and the wheel adjustment marks were very inaccurate. I would say that even on the AT the wheel alignment can be a little off and this would be fairly normal. If this is a big concern I would check your wheel alignment using a string or long straight edge. Take the string and pull it tight against the rear wheel edges as you hold the end of it while lying down in front of the bike and sighting down the string and line it up straight. You will have a gap from the front wheel to the string as it is narrower than the rear wheel. Measure the gap and do the same thing on the opposite side to see if there is the same gap. If the gap is different this shows that the wheel is not aligned in the frame. You can adjust the wheel until you get it perfect and then make you own adjustment marks or at least determine how far off the rear wheel adjuster are and use the same amount of adjustment mark offset when you need to adjust the chain the next time.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
As the topic starter I like to share my experience: first of all I traded my CRF1100 DCT in on a new '20 BMW R1250RT about 6 months ago.

I aligned my rear wheel using a laser, so rear wheel was perfectly aligned but still pulled to the right. Then I deliberately put my rear wheel a little off in the rear fork, first to the left then to the right but the bike still pulled to the right on both occasions.

Conclusion: rear wheel alignement is not the cause the bike pulls to the right. I don't know what causes it, but I don't think it's the weight of the DCT and/or exhaust.

Then I put a new set of Conti Trail Attack 3's on the bike, but still pulling to the right :mad:.

Together with the annoying mouse clicking sound during throttle, awful seat, recall of the fuel tank and ABS module I decided to trade in my bike.

·
Registered
2021 CRF 1100L DCT
15 Posts
Honda CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT '20: when I take my hands of the handlebar, my bike wants to go to the right side of the (really flat, not any banking) road a bit; anyone else noticed the same with your Africa Twin ?

Thanks in advance (y).

Yes, mine does the same (2021 L1 DCT) I heard it is because of the DCT on the right side.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts