Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my first flat on this bike last night. I can't even recall the last flat I've had in my whole thirty years of riding.
Not blaming anything as it's pure luck; 1.5 inch threaded bolt ligned right up!

I'm definitely not a fan of tubes for street riding. Ironically I purchased 3M tape for tubeless conversion and was planning the task over the winter when life threw me a curve and my winter plans changed. Tubes are great for the bush and as a backup. Not to start an argument, but I've stated my opinion; tubeless with a spare tube for extreme damage.

So for any of you looking for info on tubes for this beast, I've seen a lot of confusion.
The rear tube/tire is 150/70-18, front is 90/90-21
I've seen discussion about which over/under sizes are acceptable and hopefully someone here with "actual expertise" could comment.
I'm adding an actual manufacturer table for clarification.
http://de.reifenwerk-heidenau.com/artikel/42_SCHLAeUCHE.htm
This recommends 3.0 front, 4.5 rear.
Before you start making guesses, notice the sizes do odd things;
150/70-18 = 4.5-18
150/70-17 = 5.1-17

So don't make too many assumptions before you learn how tubes work.

I plan to start carrying a patch kit, which in my mind should come standard with each bike purchase like it does with a car.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Is there a question in your post or is it just a good ol' rant?
Not a rant Bud, but a recommendation to all that a flat repair kit should always be with us. I'm hoping to start a discussion that educates both experienced riders and noobs so that we all enjoy this hobby.

Also, I found it difficult to locate info on tubes for this bike and as I stated in the post, hoping someone with more tube experience can chime in about sizes and how specific they need to be.

I quoted the chart from Heidenau that shows our 150/70-18 as 4.5-18. Just now my local shop said they didn't have anything in my size, but they did have a 4.0 - 4.75, so I bought it. Upon opening the box it shows 110-120/90-18 so now I'm worried it's not the correct size.

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As I was writing this I decided to check the very chart I had quoted and in fact it lists the 4.5 as correct for both the sizes listed on the tube in the photo and also our rear tube. Looks like a win and maybe info that could help out a fellow rider to source a replacement.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Noble cause. In my years of tubed tire experience, I can attest that tube sizes are all over the place. No matter what is printed on them, I verify their size by adding air up to point of stretch, then measuring. I have found that going a little small is better that too big a tube. Too big a tube will get a wrinkle/ crease that will likely crack and leak after extended use.
I have done extensive off road travel over the last 50+ years and have always carried just one tube (along with a patch kit)for 18"/21" equipped bikes. I travel light and have always fit my tool kit into a fanny pack. I carry a one size fits none tube. A 110/80-19 tube has always worked well in the front or rear for a get home or the next motorcycle shop solution.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input fuelpincher,
Could you chime in as to possible tube sizes for this bike. Does my selection appear safe?
Perhaps it's overkill, but I wanted to stand a chance doing this on the side of the road so I purchased the BeadPro levers and performed the whole procedure with them and the required 27mm axle nut wrench, nothing else. Not too bad really.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thanks for the input fuelpincher,
Could you chime in as to possible tube sizes for this bike. Does my selection appear safe?
Perhaps it's overkill, but I wanted to stand a chance doing this on the side of the road so I purchased the BeadPro levers and performed the whole procedure with them and the required 27mm axle nut wrench, nothing else. Not too bad really.
When in doubt, just order the stock Honda tubes. They fit well and the prices are competitive. Though the front tube size is generally easy to find anywhere, the rear 150 size seems more scarce so I just buy mine from Honda.
Do not get caught up in the heavy-duty tube thing. They are better for off road tube pinch prevention but are strickly for slower speed use and a real pain to replace or repair on the side of the road. At high speed on hot tarmac they will overheat the tire and possibly cause failure.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, but there are five MC shops closer to me that sell replacement parts. I don't think we all need to run to Honda every time we need a tire or oil filter.
BTW, noticed a fair bit of corrosion on the valve stem for a one year old bike mostly garage kept. Maybe I need a rubber oring?

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Would Niterunners 110 120/90 - 18 tube stretch to fit the front 21"

If so I would carry it as my single tube solution.

Also I would only buy it from an independent dealer who sponsors a trials rider who carves his own tire treads. Unless my local dealer has it in stock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts